• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm considering making one that would be free standing and portable. I came across this thread on another forum. Looks interesting. I'm currently tracking down materials to see what it will take to get one made.

Target Idea/Review

A couple of observations about that particular stand:

• Even with all that work he did himself, the single stand still cost him $246. :eek:
    • Welding anything to AR500 isn't recommended.
    • If he had opted to angle the plate 30 degrees down, he could've used it for close-in rifle, as well as handgun.
    • He needs to learn how to properly wear a gun belt. :D

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I agree on the angle and plan to do so if I build one. It looks like the welding had a minimal affect, so far. I agree that it seems like he paid a lot for it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It looks like the welding had a minimal affect, so far.

(my emphasis added)

This is the catch. Although it appears to have made it through the first range session, who knows how the welding may affect long-term performance and life of the plate. :dunno:

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers

Welding anything to AR500 isn't recommended.

Isn't recommended by who? How do you think the rest of the world attaches it to the buckets and dozer blades, with peanut butter? You guys better stick to the "bolt-on accessory" threads.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Isn't recommended by who?

By the folks who manufacture steel targets (not bulldozers): MGM Targets | FAQ

One of the most misunderstood, or overlooked factors impacting target life is heat. Virtually all target steels in use today are "quenched and tempered", meaning that at the time they are rolled (at the mill) they are heat treated. The chemical content of the steel certainly plays a big roll in target life, but any heat applied after the mill heat treatment will adversely affect the life of your targets. This stuff isn't mild steel, so you can't treat it as such.

There are some manufacturing processes that affect hardened steel during fabrication. The first thing that comes to mind is the cutting process. The hardened steels cut nicely with an oxy-acetylene torch, but the heat that is put into them when the torch travels at 30-40 inches per minute is great. We cut all of our steel with a high definition plasma, laser, or water-jet. The heat affected zone is minimal, basically only at the extreme edge of the target. You'll never notice it under pistol fire, but it can be seen to an extent when you begin to hit the edges with high power rifle rounds.

When you weld on any heat treated material, use multiple small, hot beads, rather than a large one. The object is to limit the amount of heat you put into the steel as much as possible. Let the first weld get cold enough to touch before you make the second pass, or before you make a pass on the other side. This will minimize what is technically called the "heat affected zone", and consequently minimize the amount of temper that is removed from the parent material. Heat on mild steel has very little effect on it, but it is critical when you are working with heat hardened steel.

You guys better stick to the "bolt-on accessory" threads.

If you'd lose the condescending attitude more people might actually listen to the advice you have to give.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township

• Even with all that work he did himself, the single stand still cost him $246. :eek:
    Yeah.........he had to rent the welder and he also got ripped off on the steel tubing......big time. I own welders and have more scrap steel and paint than I know what to do with. Hmmmmmmm:D
    • Welding anything to AR500 isn't recommended.
    :laugh: That statement is flat out false.

• If he had opted to angle the plate 30 degrees down, he could've used it for close-in rifle, as well as handgun.
    Agree. I would have made it adjustable.
    • He needs to learn how to properly wear a gun belt. :D
    :):

I would have run a few spot welds on the back. That would have been sufficient. If done properly, it won't affect the shooting surface. I give the guy credit for being ambitious. It was a pretty good idea.....it just seems like he rushed through it. He needed to preheat that plate prior to welding. I will be tackling a similar project in the near future......I'll let you know how it goes.:D

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Isn't recommended by who? How do you think the rest of the world attaches it to the buckets and dozer blades, with peanut butter? You guys better stick to the "bolt-on accessory" threads.

Are buckets and dozer blades used as targets?

Top Bottom