• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am going to step out on a limb here and suggest that laws against [insert activity] while driving are stupid. It is tantamount to saying, "If I can't manage to walk and chew gum at the same time, then it should be illegal for ANYONE to walk and chew gum at the same time." Seriously, all the negative actions attributed to talking, texting, eating, drinking (alcohol or non-alcohol), reading, fussing with children, getting fellated (unfortunately, yes, I have encountered people doing this on the highway), or any other distraction while driving are already punishable acts, much in the same way that I do not believe in any such thing as 'gun crime' since the crimes in question are illegal regardless of the hardware used to perpetrate them. Punish the actual misdeed, not the pre-crime which happens to be the battle cry du jour.

I would also have to ask what harm is being done if a uniformed officer cannot clearly see erratic/dangerous/reckless driving without having an officer pose as a bum to catch people texting WHILE STOPPED AT A LIGHT. I would be much more concerned about their attentiveness WHILE ACTUALLY DRIVING.

My only issue with those that are texting/tweeting/face booking at the light......Please move when the light turns so we can all get through on the green.....please.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    My only issue with those that are texting/tweeting/face booking at the light......Please move when the light turns so we can all get through on the green.....please.

Not just the light CM.. Too many times I see a hundred yard gap in traffic and when I can get by the snail, 90% of the time they are messing with a phone, not changing a CD or changing the station. Were all trying to get somewhere and appreciate people keeping a reasonable gap between your vehicle and the one in from of you. Carrying on a texting conversation takes considerably longer and takes much more of your attention than changing the station on the radio or walking and chewing gun. Any activity that takes your complete focus while you are driving is not the smart thing to do. It doesn't matter if it's putting on lipstick or texting. Just as Clint Smith says when talking about gun safety. Walking up or down stairs with your finger on the trigger, it's not a question of IF, only a question of when. Actions have consequences, it's America, do as you like and pay the higher insurance premium ( or worse) if your luck runs out.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Glock Armorer-M&P Armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    It's kind of a rush seeing just how many more words you can eek out before glancing back at the road. It's a true test of your multitasking capabilities. Not everyone can dnxjs s s
    S disk

Xxks
    M...

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have visually seen accidents happen because one of the drivers was texting. If Karma only got the driver texting I would have no problem, but it seems to catch innocent people in the net as well. I have a question for the people against it being unlawful to text and drive. How would you feel if a family member was one of the innocent hurt by a texting driver?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I have visually seen accidents happen because one of the drivers was texting. If Karma only got the driver texting I would have no problem, but it seems to catch innocent people in the net as well. I have a question for the people against it being unlawful to text and drive. How would you feel if a family member was one of the innocent hurt by a texting driver?
    The feelings would be no different regardless of the illegality of the texting or anything else that may have caused the accident.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I damn near called the local ABC57 TV station over the weekend. A idiot was texting and driving like a moron in heavy traffic near the mall in heavy traffic while driving. Even cut a car off with a improper lane change. I still regret not doing it.

If u have a smrt phone u can go to main menu, camera, take pic. Then go to messaging, attach pic, select pic from photo library and "ok". Then send. (Sorry about abbreviations and punctuation, I'm driving) Then the authorities have the evidence they need to get them later. Don't wait till later, real time evidence is best and you'll be satisfied knowing you made the road a safer place. This can all be done while driving.

:):

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I have a question for the people against it being unlawful to text and drive. How would you feel if a family member was one of the innocent hurt by a texting driver?

I have a question for the people against it being unlawful to carry a handgun. How would you feel is a family member was one of the innocent hurt by a gun owner?

For me, both questions get the same answer.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is not a Black and white apples to apples question.

Seriously. I was put in harms way 13 times yesterday by the idiots we are speaking of in a few hours time.
    Not one ****ing time was I threatened or made uneasy by a gun owner. Not one ****ing time.
    Distracted driving is becoming an epidemic. Far worse than legal gun owners causing havoc/death.
    I am very sure that is there was a compilation of accidents from this nation wide on a daily basis put together with no fudging the numbers it would make our heads spin so "No".....not the same thing in the least.

Laws already exist for reckless driving and they should cover this. If LEO see's you swerving, driving erratically then that is reckless driving hands down. Just enforce what is in place and take the damn phone and make them pick it up the next day at the station. Easy peasy.
    No more new laws please. No more.

The gun analogy does not play here at least for me.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Distracted driving is becoming an epidemic. Far worse than legal gun owners causing havoc/death.

Some people call 'gun violence' an epidemic as well. It's the same base logic as a ban on touching your phone while driving.

If someone hits you with their car while texting, they are and should be on the hook for every penny of damage to you and your vehicle, and possibly criminal charges - just as an irresponsible or violent gun owner should be on the hook for theirs. That ought to be the end of it.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I guess if someone hits him, they'll know the driver was distracted. Worth it!

When I first moved to MD, I was pulled over by a state trooper who stepped out into the middle of the highway to flag me down. At the moment he stepped out, (just after I had rounded a bend in the road; the reason they set their trap up in that location), I happened to be glancing over my shoulder looking to merge back into the right lane. I looked back forward and there he was. scared the hell out of me. I told the officer it scared the hell out of me, and asked what would happen when an officer got run over for stepping out into traffic?

Fast forward about 5 years, and sure enough, on rt 32 an officer was killed when the person he stepped out in front of didn't see him. they then decided to end the practice... after putting the girl that hit him through the wringer w/ vehicular manslaughter charges, etc..

-rvb

edit: Howard Co Police, not State.
    woman was fined $310 for the traffic violation. Grand Jury didn't indict for manslaughter.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354402,00.html
    http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...ward-county-police-stop-speeders-state-police

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Some people call 'gun violence' an epidemic as well. It's the same base logic as a ban on touching your phone while driving.

If someone hits you with their car while texting, they are and should be on the hook for every penny of damage to you and your vehicle, and possibly criminal charges - just as an irresponsible or violent gun owner should be on the hook for theirs. That ought to be the end of it.

Yup......no "New" laws are required.

Again, if the stats were truly available we would see epidemic levels of distracted driving.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If u have a smrt phone u can go to main menu, camera, take pic. Then go to messaging, attach pic, select pic from photo library and "ok". Then send. (Sorry about abbreviations and punctuation, I'm driving) Then the authorities have the evidence they need to get them later. Don't wait till later, real time evidence is best and you'll be satisfied knowing you made the road a safer place. This can all be done while driving.

:):

No. I DON"T F*** WITH MY PH WHEN I DRIVE!!

I don't want to be the idiot having a accident taking the pic of the idiot playing with her ph. Period. If I'd had a passenger they would have been photographed.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    So if you are being as "responsible" as possible by texting at a stop NOT while driving they are still jamming you up?

So, you start ****ing with people..... they are not going to stop texting, they are just going to do it going down the road where they can't be seen as easily.

Good call.

:facepalm:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Distracted driving is the new DUI. With all the pot heads, tweakers, drunks and cell phone users on the road, it is a scarier place than ever. It seems like rear end collisions are happening at a brisker pace than before. Many people cannot control their behavior with this technology. It is as addicting for some people as drugs. It will take new technology by the police to fight the abuse.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom