• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Police use officer disguised as homeless man to catch drivers texting behind the wheel - Story | WTTG

BETHESDA, Md. - Montgomery County police are using an interesting method to catch drivers they suspect of texting while behind the wheel.15

The department placed an officer -- disguised as a homeless man -- at the intersection of River Road and Goldsboro Road in Bethesda. The officer, equipped with a wireless microphone, held a sign that read, "I am not homeless. I am a Montgomery County Police Officer looking for cell phone texting violations."8

When drivers pulled out their phones to text while waiting at the stop light, the disguised officer called to uniformed officers waiting nearby.

textdrive2_1445948910135_404126_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    If i remember right it is illegal to use a phone while driving in maryland unless you have a hands free system.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    I see texting every single day going on in I-70 and I-65 on my way home from work. I have seen people almost rearend others while texting. I just don't know how it is more of a danger than say changing the channel on your radio or loading a CD, if anyone still have those in their cars. -Jason

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Just sold my 96 bmw 740il with the 6 disk changer in the trunk this year. that was real bear to change cd's while driving...

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I damn near called the local ABC57 TV station over the weekend. A idiot was texting and driving like a moron in heavy traffic near the mall in heavy traffic while driving. Even cut a car off with a improper lane change. I still regret not doing it.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I see texting every single day going on in I-70 and I-65 on my way home from work. I have seen people almost rearend others while texting. I just don't know how it is more of a danger than say changing the channel on your radio or loading a CD, if anyone still have those in their cars. -Jason

See it everyday myself. I have FM,CD,Cassette and WiFi but can still eat Pancakes while texting and driving (in the dark) every morning.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I damn near called the local ABC57 TV station over the weekend. A idiot was texting and driving like a moron in heavy traffic near the mall in heavy traffic while driving. Even cut a car off with a improper lane change. I still regret not doing it.

What would that have done?

Just like in the countless other threads on here about texting and driving shall we list all the other things drivers do that take their attention off driving??

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    You can't be serious!?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Running all around town today doing my errands/shopping with the spouse. We counted all the idiots we came across......13 vehicles driving erratically.

Not 1 of them was messing with the stereo or other in car devises. To the number it was all cell phone related. Every one of them. They will not put them down even when they cross the center line or near rear end someone. Phone stays in the hand.

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    Running all around town today doing my errands/shopping with the spouse. We counted all the idiots we came across......13 vehicles driving erratically.

Not 1 of them was messing with the stereo or other in car devises. To the number it was all cell phone related. Every one of them. They will not put them down even when they cross the center line or near rear end someone. Phone stays in the hand.

Exactly! All cell phone users should be required to submit to a background check and get the appropriate training before we grant them the privilege of using a cell phone. Cell Free Zones save lives! Its for the Children!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am going to step out on a limb here and suggest that laws against [insert activity] while driving are stupid. It is tantamount to saying, "If I can't manage to walk and chew gum at the same time, then it should be illegal for ANYONE to walk and chew gum at the same time." Seriously, all the negative actions attributed to talking, texting, eating, drinking (alcohol or non-alcohol), reading, fussing with children, getting fellated (unfortunately, yes, I have encountered people doing this on the highway), or any other distraction while driving are already punishable acts, much in the same way that I do not believe in any such thing as 'gun crime' since the crimes in question are illegal regardless of the hardware used to perpetrate them. Punish the actual misdeed, not the pre-crime which happens to be the battle cry du jour.

I would also have to ask what harm is being done if a uniformed officer cannot clearly see erratic/dangerous/reckless driving without having an officer pose as a bum to catch people texting WHILE STOPPED AT A LIGHT. I would be much more concerned about their attentiveness WHILE ACTUALLY DRIVING.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

AMEN, to THAT !!!!!

Top Bottom