• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I like the idea of a youth 20 gauge. It could serve two purposes. Kid dear gun and home protection.

I think you have found your answer. A good youth sized 20 guage pump will have a shortened length of pull for the stock as well as a 20"-22" barrel that accepts removable chokes. 5-6 rounds of 20 guage buckshot would make the gun a potent attack stopper. Plus if you have kids (or a smallish wife) they can use it for hunting or target shooting. Incidently a youth 20 guage is on my list of things to buy but I am not in a hurry. My son is only 7 years old so it will be a couple more years before I introduce him to shotguns and my wife is most comfortable with a handgun.

By the way OP, while I think a youth 20 guage is a good choice do not automatically rule out handguns. I would not consider a pump shotgun to be any easier for a novice to master.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Claymores. A rabid honey badger. A stockpile of dirty diapers to throw at the bad guy.

I've got a Stoeger 20g coach gun and a Mossberg 500 12g. If it came to that point, I might be in a bit of trouble though as they've gotten past the dog without it making any noise and I'm still sleeping. I do want to get another Mossberg 500 to build or possibly an 870 but since I'm already use to the safety on the 500, that will probably be the way I go.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Claymores. A rabid honey badger. A stockpile of dirty diapers to throw at the bad guy.

I've got a Stoeger 20g coach gun and a Mossberg 500 12g. If it came to that point, I might be in a bit of trouble though as they've gotten past the dog without it making any noise and I'm still sleeping. I do want to get another Mossberg 500 to build or possibly an 870 but since I'm already use to the safety on the 500, that will probably be the way I go.

I think a layered defense, such as yours, is the key. It elimiates problems that arise when something fails, there is a backup.

I have 3 big dogs. I have sensors, but haven't put them up. A loaded 20 gauge Mossberg, 40 cal M&P with glow sights & laser, large folding knife, small pocket knife. I may be killed, but someone will know they were in a fight.

Top Bottom