• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    A revolver may be a good choice, but NOTHING beats the sound of a pump "racking" will most likely scare the $h*t out of ANYBODY, that can hear it !!!!!

I agree that the sound is intimidating, and I'm a HUGE 870 fan. But I always caution students against purchasing any firearm or accessory (e.g., lasers) because of the "fear factor" that they elicit. You can never assume any particular response from an adversary. (Although I realize you weren't suggesting that's the only reason to own a pump-action shotgun.)

In addition, I keep my home defense shotgun with a shell in the chamber, so racking the action would both eject a round and potentially give my position away - neither of which is necessarily a good idea.

Just something to think about.

Guy

Last edited:

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    A revolver may be a good choice, but NOTHING beats the sound of a pump "racking" will most likely scare the $h*t out of ANYBODY, that can hear it !!!!!

The sound of a pump shotgun "racking" is, indeed, very distinctive and is known by the vast majority of bad guys--along with most of the bad girls.
    However, its value as a deterrent is questionable and has not been established.

I tell students if the sound of a pump shotgun action is not effective, the next sound--immediately thereafter--will be!

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond

You watch to many movies.... If I was a BG you would have 3 or more bullets in you before you finish racking that pump.

An unloaded gun is as useful as a brick.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I like the idea of a youth 20 gauge. It could serve two purposes. Kid dear gun and home protection. My wife will not be holding anyone inside our house hostage until police arrive. If we have a breaking and entering she has already been trained to shoot now and let police clean up the mess ask questions later.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    An unloaded gun is as useful as a brick.

I teach both Offensive and Defensive Brick. Great courses!!

Requirements: at least 10 bricks, and the ability to carry 2 or more bricks on your belt. (If you don't have your own brick, we have loaner bricks available for a small fee.)

Seriously tho, I've never understood the deterrent effect of racking a pump - if the firearm is being used for immediate home defense. Movie directors love it tho - have you ever noticed how an actor will rack a shotgun two or more times before actually firing it? Strangely, they never eject a shell.

Guy

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    My house gun is a 20ga SxS with slug/buckshot load. It is also a coach style with external hammers. Use to quail and rabbit hunt with my dad and bought this one in high school. Since it has been legally shortened, pattern isn't great past 10-20 yards. For home defense I believe it is ideal. My wife has shot it and can handle the recoil.
    I also keep a S&W Mod 10 38 spec/ 4in bbl in my nightstand with 2 speedloaders. Best of both worlds for defense.
    We have a backup12 ga pump available if it becomes an event. Both shotguns have a butt cuff w/ 5 spare rounds at easy reach. My kevlar vest is hanging and opened for fast deployment, OC spray and tactical lights in the pouches. got it covered.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Pump action shotgun AND pistol.

I like the 20 gauge pump shotgun. Pump is more more reliable feed. 20 gives me more comfortable recoil, faster follow up (if necessary). 2 barrel is nice, but if you need a third, better be fast at reloading. Mossberg 500 series, or Remington 870 are good.

Shotguns jam, malfunction, or can be pulled from you. Pistol is nice then. If baddie grabs shottie, drop the shottie right away. If you've practiced, you should be able to draw pistol before he can turn the shottie around.

Carry shottie pointing downward (approx 45 degrees), not up. If baddie surprises you and grabs shottie (when pointed up), he can push shottie up, and you can't do anything (except drop shottie).
    If shottie is pointing down and baddie grabs it, you can go to one knee, shottie will point in middle level.

Practice is the method. Practice, practice, practice. Practice going through house, malfunctions, switching weapons.

Bane_FTW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Wabash County
    I'd say +1 on a pump. Cycling that action could be enough to scare off any intruders, if not you'd still be ready to go if they are still persistent.

Not saying rely on the sound, but I really do find pump actions really well rounded shooters.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Carry shottie pointing downward (approx 45 degrees), not up. If baddie surprises you and grabs shottie (when pointed up), he can push shottie up, and you can't do anything (except drop shottie).

... or buttstroke him in the teeth. I'm not saying anything about your way is wrong, just that there's not necessarily just one solution. Different strokes for different folks, if you'll excuse the really horrible pun.

If you've trained to use a long gun in cqb, it can be a very devastating weapon. As someone mentioned, an unloaded gun is about as useful as a [brick] club. But if you're good with a club, a club is not such a bad thing in the right circumstances.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Teach your wife to retreat to the bedroom. Chock the door shut. Have challenge and password. If they want to get into the room they will have to come through the door. If he fails to respond with the password and starts working on the door. Have here start shooting into the funnel.- George

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Holey Moley, Kirk--that's an awful lot. 12,000 to 15,000 reps of loading before "qualifying?"

I don't know about qualifying but 12K to 15K of repititions is the reported number for long term muscle memory. I do know that there is some dispute as to the exact number and it depends on the person but I know that it takes a lot. Perhaps I should not have stated a number.

Muscle memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010

Or it may give your position away, and lose the element of surprise for you... :dunno: Not every bad guy has an automatic bowel movement when a shotgun is racked.

OP, if you're set on a shotgun, have you considered a semi-auto? I know it doesn't sound as cool as a pump, nor does it make that sound that causes all BGs within a 1 mile radius to defecate themselves out of fear, but it is more efficient, and usually a little easier on the recoil.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I would be so happy if I never heard that bull**** about someone racking a shotgun to scare someone ever again. I have two logical questions-

1) Why did was there no round in the chamber already if the shotgun is being used for defense?
    2) If there is a round in the chamber why would you eject it...just to make the noise?

So if you are upstairs behind a closed door, do you open the door and go half way down the steps before racking the slide. I mean you want the bad guy to hear it right?

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    I would be so happy if I never heard that bull**** about someone racking a shotgun to scare someone ever again. I have two logical questions-

1) Why did was there no round in the chamber already if the shotgun is being used for defense?
    2) If there is a round in the chamber why would you eject it...just to make the noise?

So if you are upstairs behind a closed door, do you open the door and go half way down the steps before racking the slide. I mean you want the bad guy to hear it right?

Lol. This. I agree totally.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    That's why I have loudspeakers on the roof of my house broadcasting the sound the racking of a slide action shotgun. So far the neighbors have not complained, and if they do I jest use that thar INGO logic "it's meye property.":laugh:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbFH2i17goQ[/ame]

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    That's why I have loudspeakers on the roof of my house broadcasting the sound the racking of a slide action shotgun. So far the neighbors have not complained, and if they do I jest use that thar INGO logic "it's meye property.":laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbFH2i17goQ

Now that makes sense. We should do the same thing for pistols and rifles. I can see the bad guy standing their confused. Was that a shotgun, pistol, or rifle. How scared should I be? Should I leave, ah forget it, it only sounded like a small caliber, when glad it is not a 45 ACP...total ass hattery

Top Bottom