• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you use an electronic alarm system for HD?

• Total voters

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I read a lot about home defense, situational awareness, and doing things to deter an attack before it happens.

That being said, how many INGO members spent $$ to install a monitored alarm system in the home and actually use it? A 130dB siren going off has GOT to be the best deterrent to make a guy turn around after kicking in my front door. We had one installed for about $2000 in our home we built but haven't used it yet (3 years). I'm willing to bet most readers here have more than $2000 worth of guns, which makes me wonder if they also spent $ to deter threats to their castle and family when they were not home.

I realize there is a delay in response time, but there can be immediate noise deterent and suprise factor to help (not to mention wake you up).

Thoughts? :popcorn:

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    I have a monitored system with a big honking loud siren. It's armed every time I step out of the house and put into instant-on mode when everyone's asleep. I test it every month like the little instruction manual says.

I see it as a cheap easy way to scare off anyone that might kick in the door and/or call 911 for me even if I'm not there.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    We use a system as well, with combination door, window, and motion sensors. Lets just say the actual alarm is LOUD! We test it frequently, albeit usually on accident. Fortunately, we haven't had it go off for anyone other than ourselves.

I look at it this way:

When we're not home, it may provide a significant deterrent if someone were to break in.

When we are home it allows us to have advanced warning of an un anticipated entry into the home, and we can react accordingly.

Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    I have a monitored system with a big honking loud siren. It's armed every time I step out of the house and put into instant-on mode when everyone's asleep. I test it every month like the little instruction manual says.

I see it as a cheap easy way to scare off anyone that might kick in the door and/or call 911 for me even if I'm not there.

Same here too. We arm ours when we take our family walk around the neighborhood a few times a week.

My wife even arms ours during the day while she's home with the kido.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    For those that do have an alarm system:
    1) What is the pass code?
    2) What is your address?
    3) When will you not be home?

:evilangel:

Alarms can be a deterrent. What your feelings on it being monitored?

Coaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Brownsburg
    We use the system anytime that we are not at home and many times when house is occupied. A very loud outside alarm has proven to work very well in detering unlawfull entry.

Our neighborhood was hit by a "group" whose members had actually gained access to two homes (while residents were sleeping). When bg tried to enter our home, alarm was sounded which caused all members of "group" to flee. Neighbor, who along with his wife and two children slept while intruders were inside their home, now has an alarm and uses it consistantly.

Having been the victim of a home break-in several years ago and now this attempted break-in, I plan to have an alarm in any residence where my family resides.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I currently live in an apartment, so electronic security really isn't an option.

Right now we're on the 2nd floor, so there's one way in. There's one of those bar things on the doorknob... as well as some bells on a rope (dog training). I like to think I'd hear something if someone tried to get in.

So, beyond the door, the rest of my home defense is my girlfriend's 9, and my 40 and 45.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    We live 10 miles away from the nearest town. We have outdoor sirens and strobe lights so that the nearest neighbors can hear and see that there is a problem. All our neighbors have guns and know how to use them.

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    I think the monitoring is as significant as the loud horn/siren. If someone starts a smash/grab on the house while I'm not here the monitoring company will eventually figure out I'm not home and call the authorities for me.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    I have some cheap $1 alarms (connect one side to the door, one side to the door frame/window.) If the door/window is opened, the siren goes off. I also have a webcam set up as a security camera using some software I found that detects when a human/animal enters view, and marks that section of video for my review automatically.

My friend has a professional monitored home security system that calls to ask if there's a fire every time they cook bacon.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I really don't want to have to shoot someone in my home.

What's been put in place at the house of Vlad:

Monitored alarm
    Security cameras at all likely entry points (windows and doors).
    Dog
    Full perimeter motion and dusk/dawn lighting

Inside the wire the game changes from noise, lights and video to flying metals; if someone is stupid enough to make it that far.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Im installing one myself in the house I am purchasing. I agree, it is worth more than its weight. Mine wont be monitored, but it will be configured to contact me directly. I am more interested in it providing an alert to the neighbors that something is not right, or perhaps it scaring someone off.

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Ours is monitored , has motion sensors on each floor, window and door monitors and I even went so far as to get battery backup and it works without the phone line as well.....so even if some douche cuts every line going into my house the alarm will work properly...and believe me it works, i've set it off accidentally a time or two and wow....the cops get there fast! even though im 10 miles out of town....

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My home security system for 14 years has been 90 lb Golden Retriever with one very DEEP and loud bark. But this past year, his eyesight and hearing is starting to fail....so I may have to start looking for an electronic one. :(

TotinOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Hancock Co.
    My home security system for 14 years has been 90 lb Golden Retriever with one very DEEP and loud bark. But this past year, his eyesight and hearing is starting to fail....so I may have to start looking for an electronic one. :(

Same here. Dog + alarm (armed at night).
    My dog is about 35 lbs. though... not quite as deep a voice. Almost any dog that makes noise and comes when you call him is going to be a benefit. The noise will help you to judge when something's not as it should be. And when you call him, if he doesn't come, you know something's up. If he does come, his behavior & demeanor are a good sign of what's going on in your house where you cannot see (e.g. downstairs, etc.).

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN

My precise reasoning for getting an electronic one. I have some serious doubts that my fiance’s 5.5lb Papillion is going to cast fear into any intruder. Now once I get my Great Dane, that might be another story…

Top Bottom