• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you use an electronic alarm system for HD?

• Total voters

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    No alarm here but I do have two large Rottweilers and large guns if they make it past the dogs. I will definately know you are here before you know where I am.;)

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    My alarm system is 4 dogs outside. German Shepherd inside. Outside dogs act as sentry to inside dog. Inside dog alerted and comes to heightened state of awareness. Then runs to me in bed alerting me somethings up. There have been several false alarms, but I'd rather her wake me up for a false alarm then not wake me up for a real situation.

Also have 2 vicious house cats. The mean one "Cuddles" has been known to go into crisis lockdown when stepped on in darkness and attack. she is my landmine.

I really do need to get an alarm system though. For when I'm not home.

Flyguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rural Franklin
    I have some cheap $1 alarms (connect one side to the door, one side to the door frame/window.) If the door/window is opened, the siren goes off. I also have a webcam set up as a security camera using some software I found that detects when a human/animal enters view, and marks that section of video for my review automatically.

My friend has a professional monitored home security system that calls to ask if there's a fire every time they cook bacon.

MMMMMM..... BACON!!!

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    My house has an alarm that I monitor. Its an ADT alarm, but i reprogrammed the box to call my cell instead of calling adt so no monitoring fees. All i get is a call from my house that sounds like an old 28.8 modem. I also have 4 color/night vision cameras around the perimiter pointing at the house and 4 more cameras pointing away from the house with offsite DVR recording and real time web. Inside i have fingerprint traps where i leave a sheet of glass over a 50$ bill that gets cleaned every day. I also have motion lights and "constant on" lights illuminating my house. Step 1 is making your house appear less appealing to the burglar. Step 2 is making sure he gets caught.

Keep in mind that after he gets caught, some ****bag attorney will represent him and attempt to convince a jury that the only reason his fingerprints were on your tv is that he also shops at best buy and touched the tv before you (true story). He will go on to say that the only reason he has your stuff at his house is because he bought it off of someone else at a garage sale. DO yourself a favor and have as many forms of evidence as possible when it's time for trial.

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I don't use electronic security, but that is because I live in an apartment. When I "settle down" and have my own house I would like to have an alarm system at the very least. I think its a good idea to put as many obstacles between you and a potential burglar/assailant as possible.

g.mccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    New Whiteland
    I have a monitored system with fire detection included. I travel for work with some regularity and having an "eye" on my stuff is a good thing. I also like the fact that the fire monitoring is there. I rarely set the system when I am home, but the keypad is in my master bedroom and chimes when a door is opened. This chime is enough to wake me from a dead sleep. My girlfriend came over at about 4am one time, and the chime woke me up. She was a little scared when I came around the corner in full fight mode. :)

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Don't have an alarm. But put brand new windows all round last year (Tax Credit Helped). Put two new steel doors on both entrances, with dead bolts, and I have my really noisy lovable furball Chow "Buttercup". My only weak spot is the unattached garage but it does lockup, just not as nice as the house!

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I have a manual alarm system:

1. I don't sleep too soundly...

2. Intruders have a choice of...

a. .357 Sig
    b. .45 ACP
    c. 12 ga
    d. .308 Winchester

Have ServPro on speed dial.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Have ServPro on speed dial.
    :):

Price is usually huge for some people for those on a budget try X10. $100 will get you a dozen door/window sensors and 2 motions. You program the system to call what numbers you want, up to 5 different numbers with whatever prerecorded message you want.

Zero monitoring fees as well.

Wireless as well so you can use it in an apartment and expandable to 24 sensor/detectors.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I recently got a system installed which is monitored. I mainly put it in because I frequently am out of town on the weekends and was sick and tired of transporting the majority of my firearms with me in fear of having them stolen. I do have a cheapo safe that I figure would take about as long to break into as it would for the police to show up after a break-in.
    Only got it for when Im not home but I do use it at night. Anything that helps wake me up and gives someone a second thought about continuing an illegal act in my residence that potentially prevents me from having to dispatch a 12gauge shell full of 00-buckshot is alright with me.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    I have 3 cats and (had) a dog in the house. RIP. :( Im sure I could get an alarm system that would ignore them and not go off every time they move, but I feel like a dog is a good enough of an alarm, assuming it's a real dog. And by "real" I mean cannot be punted more than 5yds. Although my cousin does have a pocket dog and even though it wouldn't be able to protect you it would let you know someone was in you house with its annoying high pitched yapping! :): And once I've been alerted Mr. Intruder would have a nice conversation with Mr. .45 or Miss AR-15. ;)

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have 3 cats and (had) a dog in the house. RIP. :( Im sure I could get an alarm system that would ignore them and not go off every time they move, but I feel like a dog is a good enough of an alarm, assuming it's a real dog. And by "real" I mean cannot be punted more than 5yds. Although my cousin does have a pocket dog and even though it wouldn't be able to protect you it would let you know someone was in you house with its annoying high pitched yapping! :): And once I've been alerted Mr. Intruder would have a nice conversation with Mr. .45 or Miss AR-15. ;)
    I remember Paul Harvey say that you should get a very big dog, then get a little dog to hkeep the big one a wake. I think he lives in Chicago, and this was before the biggie at SCOTUS, nullifying much of Chicago gun laws, although they still don't sem to get it up there!

Dwight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    I have a monitored system with a big honking loud siren. It's armed every time I step out of the house and put into instant-on mode when everyone's asleep. I test it every month like the little instruction manual says.

I see it as a cheap easy way to scare off anyone that might kick in the door and/or call 911 for me even if I'm not there.

^^^^^Same here.^^^^^ Can't hurt to have a heads-up if we're home, either. :ar15:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

I remember Paul Harvey say that you should get a very big dog, then get a little dog to hkeep the big one a wake...

We have a 6 pound Maltese that yaps up a storm and a 100 pound Akita that is very intimidating.

I took my daughter out at lunchtime and didn't set the alarm . . . figured I'd be back in an hour or so. Got a call from the neighbor, house was robbed.

The criminals (gang bangers from 25 miles away) broke in though the window. Threw concrete blocks at the Akita until she could defend no more.

Those of you who think a big mean-azz dog will protect your house are wrong. Very very wrong. Sheriff told me its common for them to find dead guard dogs at the scene when they show up. We got very lucky, our dogs survived.

You need to find a way to protect your home and your family when YOU ARE NOT HOME. Don't count on a dog. And your guns won't help then either. Chances are some of them will turn up missing. I do love the big talk about shooting the burglars but seems like most think their dog will save the day. WRONG.

Here is my thread with the story of our break in => https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._robbed_neighbor_held_1_of_3_at_gunpoint.html

Here is the thread about my new security window film to prevent another robbery. This combined with ALWAYS using the alarm is what I am counting on. Oh, I have gun safes too. Nothing is perfect, but I've increased the layers of protection. Link => https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...rity_film_installation_before_a_gun_safe.html

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Sorry to hear about that robbery and attack on your dog. Sounds like they were watching and waiting for you to leave with that kind of timing.

We live in the country and don't even secure our exterior doors a lot
    Of times. Moving to the city soon so I need to start doing that. Your story is a good wake up call that I've been sloppy with protecting my home.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I currently live in an apartment, so electronic security really isn't an option.

Right now we're on the 2nd floor, so there's one way in. There's one of those bar things on the doorknob... as well as some bells on a rope (dog training). I like to think I'd hear something if someone tried to get in.

So, beyond the door, the rest of my home defense is my girlfriend's 9, and my 40 and 45.
    Not true, there are some very nice wireless systems that are made right here in the USA and they have built in cell dialers in case you don't have land lines. They're not cheap, but not to expensive. Easy to setup and they go with you when you move.

jsunjones

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Avon, IN
    Not true, there are some very nice wireless systems that are made right here in the USA and they have built in cell dialers in case you don't have land lines. They're not cheap, but not to expensive. Easy to setup and they go with you when you move.

Do you have a brand/model that you recommend? I've been looking for a good do-it-yourself alarm system thats worth a crap. Seems like the good systems are all tied to a monitoring service you have to sign a contract for. Or at least pay big $$ up front

My wife has been bugging me for an alarm system for a while. She's a stay at home mom and wants the protection for when she is in the house. In this circumstance I dont see the point in paying for a monitoring service when all she wants is to be alerted to call 911 and prepare to defend herself.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Do you have a brand/model that you recommend? I've been looking for a good do-it-yourself alarm system thats worth a crap. Seems like the good systems are all tied to a monitoring service you have to sign a contract for. Or at least pay big $$ up front

My wife has been bugging me for an alarm system for a while. She's a stay at home mom and wants the protection for when she is in the house. In this circumstance I dont see the point in paying for a monitoring service when all she wants is to be alerted to call 911 and prepare to defend herself.
    the ones I use, sell and recommend isn't the cheapest. But it's good stuff, made here in the USA and we don't make you sign a contract to have it monitored. It's DMP. (Digital Monitoring Products.)
    They are based out of Springfield Missouri. If I'm not mistaken they are the only alarm manufacture in USA. The only one approved for DOD network use.
    Not cheap though, the one I was talking about above is a $700 to $800 dollars for the base package. It's all wireless and has a cell dialer built in so land lines are not needed. The panel is about the size of a post card and less than an inch thick.

Top Bottom