• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    For those that have a range on their own property, do you try to be considerate to your neighbors?
    Such as not shooting at late hours of the night?

What would/can you do if your neighbor decides to shoot after 9pm, doing mag dumps after another, constant rapid fire.

Tobias

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I'd go out and sit on the back porch and enjoy the music!!! All kidding aside I shoot a lot at my house and always try to be considerate of the neighbors. I hardly ever shoot really early and usually wrap it up by 5-6 on the weekends. Never have had a complaint so it works for me.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I do TRY and be considerate of my neighbors. Most of my neighbors are shooters and will often join me. There is 1 guy who complains non stop about my shooting nomatter when I do it. I tell him he has 2 options,

1. GET OVER IT
    2. MOVE TO TOWN

If shooting at night, I only shoot suppressed. Basically I try and be accommodating, but I'm not going to completely stop shooting to do so. My "bad "neighbor" doesn't think I should shoot at all, so I don't try and accommodate him.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Our neighbor generally calls before they start shooting, which is really nice of them. They only do it because they know we have a dog that is afraid of gunfire and needs happy pills to keep her from urinating herself.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Even though I'm out in the country, I have neighbors that are close enough that they probably wouldn't enjoy constant mag dumps. I try to be kind by only shooting suppressed. If, in the future, they decide to call the police, then I'll happily take the can off.

I do have a neighbor that typically starts shooting late in the evening which kind of sucks considering we go to bed early (getting up at 3:30 blows), but I'm not about to be a hypocrite and complain.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    At my fathers place is where we shoot. And we never shoot early in the morning, and we call it quits early evening. We try to be considerate of the neighbors, as it's a very quiet country area.

The place where I'm talking about, it's a relative that I'm asking for, enjoys shooting too. But feels it's ridiculous for anyone dumping mags over and over that late at night.

He doesn't want to be THAT guy, but he feels there should be something that can be done.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    This is why I try to be a "helpful neighbor". I always offer to fix stuff, let others use my tractor/skidsteer/etc, give a hand when I see people doing big outdoor projects, I plow a lot of neighbors drives, etc. When I have a favor to ask of others, I don't feel bad. If your relative is cordial with the neighbor, has he simply talked to them?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    We limit mag dumps (as in we don't do that) and shooting early and late in the day. On one occasion a buddy of mine was shooting on his property. The Sheriff came out because of a complaint. After visiting with the LEO he then proceeded to load up and do a mag dump. I think the neighbor stopped calling the Sheriff.

Funny thing about rapid fire, everybody has a different definition of rapid

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    If my neighbors can't handle a little gunfire then they need to move back to the big city. Of course, I don't really have any neighbors (nearest is about 3/4 of a mile away in hilly terrain).

If I had ones a lot closer I would take more consideration, that's just basic courtesy. But if they complained when I was being reasonable they can stuff it.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    It should also be noted, I haven't done a "mag dump" since I was 18. My definition of mag dump is pull the trigger as fast as possible until the mag is empty. I will do rapid fire meaning I pull the trigger as fast as I can get on target, but mag dumps quit being cool long ago.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    No earlier than 10 am and no later than 6 pm.

I guess it depends on how long they shoot. If it's just a few mags late I don't care but if it's a 3 am then that's too late.

Ive had the new younger neighbors shoot a few mags at 1 am on a weekend and I still didn't call. If it started to be a problem then I'd probably go talk to them about it.

Im just happy my neighbors own and fire their weapons. We live in a different part of indy where shots fired is not a bad thing.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    No neighbors, so it's FA fire when I want it, if the raccoons complain, they can be on the receiving end of it.:)

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I would just go by and begin by telling him how much I like shooting etc and end with politely asking him if he could see his way clear to end a little earlier on work/school nights so as to keep the wife/kids/early risers happy.

ndbbm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2011
    If it's just subguns & pistols, everybody is fine. However, my neighbors do appreciate a heads-up if it's belt feds, etc.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    This isn't about shooting on private property as much as people being inconsiderate dicks. If it was people constantly running chainsaws late at night no one would be talking about applauding them or asking to join in :rolleyes:

I'd say that you either go talk to them about it and politely ask if they could keep their shooting to reasonable hours, or call the police and ask them to talk to them. You can look up online if there happens to be a noise ordinance for your area. A lot of places have such rules about loud noises, like music and such, after a certain time.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom