• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I've noticed over the last several years the number of home invasions on the rise.

Doesn't seem a much training focused in this area, so I thought I'd get a thread going.

What do you do to plan, prepare and train for such an event?

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    1. Well trained dog
    2. Wife proficient with firearms.
    3. Quick access to firearm from bed (if not in bed its on me)
    4. Gun available in bathroom (that's one other place i may not have my gun if im in the shower.)
    5. A lot of dry fire drills. From different areas of house....with and without wife....with and without dog, etc.
    6. Flashlight always by night stand weapon.
    7. Good alarm system professionally installed.

These is just some of the highlights of how I prepare. Unfortunately none of this is fail safe. Taking some classes from professionals can be very helpful I think most important is that you have a general plan of what you would do of there was a break in. This is very important if you have kids in the house.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have 2 GSD that are Protection Trained and not very well Socialized...

I think they will be able to buy me enough time to dispatch anything they cannot take care of...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    What I've learned is you are perfectly safe, no need to worry.
    Here is some sage advise I learned on our very own pages....

if you are living somewhere where you feel the need to carry walking around in your own home you are:

A. paranoid and insane, no need discussing that further

B. living in the wrong neighborhood, move already

C. dreaming :) wake up ****er

or

D. all of the above

I mean, the prior has given me reason to give up carrying for protection, I'll never need it.

(yes, someone actually posted this)

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    A lot of little things specific to your house can be done that enhance your home field advantage. knowing choke points, kill zones, what walls are fortified and which ones you can shoot through. Night lights at the base of the stairway that make it impossible to get upstairs without casting a shadow, placement of glass front pictures on the wall in locations that at night time pretty much turn into mirrors so you can see around corners, planning out what areas of the house are dimly lit verses pitch dark so shadows and glass surfaces are only to your advantage....
    There is a lot you can do that ends up looking like normal house stuff, you know, if someone were to think ahead. :whistle:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    If I'm not in bed, my gun is with me. If I am, it is on the night stand. I, too, have two dogs in the house, one of which is not very welcoming to strangers at all. All of my doors are reinforced as well, would take some time to kick them in, giving plenty of time to react. As far as answering the door, I always have gun drawn when someone knocks and I'm not expecting anybody.

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    A lot of little things specific to your house can be done that enhance your home field advantage. knowing choke points, kill zones, what walls are fortified and which ones you can shoot through. Night lights at the base of the stairway that make it impossible to get upstairs without casting a shadow, placement of glass front pictures on the wall in locations that at night time pretty much turn into mirrors so you can see around corners, planning out what areas of the house are dimly lit verses pitch dark so shadows and glass surfaces are only to your advantage....
    There is a lot you can do that ends up looking like normal house stuff, you know, if someone were to think ahead. :whistle:

Wife and I have a so-called plan in place. Pretty much to that affect. We have only run it once, about a year ago. Us humans always think, it can never happen to us and thats when we aren't prepred.

:draw:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Also, the heavy steel security type storm doors, when locked (mine have deadbolt locks) add an extra layer of protection that would be very difficult for some thug to just come up and break through.

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    If I'm not in bed, my gun is with me. If I am, it is on the night stand. I, too, have two dogs in the house, one of which is not very welcoming to strangers at all. All of my doors are reinforced as well, would take some time to kick them in, giving plenty of time to react. As far as answering the door, I always have gun drawn when someone knocks and I'm not expecting anybody.

We don't have any Dogs. I have always wondered what I would do if someone would kick in the door at 2am and I am in a deep sleep. I got a plan laid out on what the wife and kid should do. What about being in a deep sleep? Kinda hard to plan for that I think. With the wife and I having a 8 to 5 job. Our lives are kinda routine.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Wife and I have a so-called plan in place. Pretty much to that affect. We have only run it once, about a year ago. Us humans always think, it can never happen to us and thats when we aren't prepred.

:draw:

Yep. Schools do fire drills all the time and the last 3 grade schools I've gone into I didn't see much of anything that wasn't brick or metal. As soon as somebody talks about doing drills regarding home invader, or robbery people treat it like it is something you might want to do but you sure don't tell anyone you do it.:rolleyes: It is like there is a stigma about it. There are sooooo many ways a homeowner may have their home setup that it (to some extent) is not giving up your game plan to have a thread like this for people to share some of their ideas.

I have the advantage of having moved several times so I can talk about things that worked for a particular house that is no longer part of my plan.

Top Bottom