• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Keeping a pump gun ready to go, I prefer to go with the "cruiser ready". Empty chamber, trigger pulled. rack the slide, and its loaded, and ready to go.

My preferred shotgun for HD is my little coach gun. No, its not the newest, latest, or greatest, but it works. I practice with it frequently, and it serves me well in rabbit hunting. Home invaders typically are quite a bit larger than bunnies, but I have yet to meet a person that moved faster than one. Only two shots, but I am pretty certain that unless I am being overrun by professional operators, they are not going to stick around to find out how many rounds I am going to send their direction. Practicing reloading from the shell holder on the stock, and polished chambers that shuck the shells quick keeps the reload time fairly quick.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Why don't you like to keep a shell loaded? Most pumps are drop safe with externals safeties. And having the shotgun inactive with an exposed hammer down makes it an extra step to get it into the fight.

Uh, no. I'm late to the party, but relying a pump shotgun's safety is a very bad idea. The block trigger movement and that's it. That's why "cruiser ready" is a popular and sensible way to keep a shotgun ready for use (charged magazine tube, chamber empty).

Negative. The safeties on 870's and 500's prevent the trigger from moving, not the firing pin or the hammer. They can still be inertia-fired.

For the win!

However the safety was on but a round was chambered, when the butt of the stock struck the ground the inertia caused the hammer to fall wihile the safety on. Why he didn't fire the round off before striking the butt of the stock on the ground we will never know.

That's an unfortunate way to learn how important Rule #2 is at the same time you learn that the safety on an 870 isn't all that useful.

I actually tend to not use the mechanical safeties on my shotguns. If I keep one ready for use, the chamber will be empty and the safety will be off.

Top Bottom