• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • In what condition do you keep your home defense shotgun?

• Total voters

tomc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A bit late, but I'll chime in anyway. I've heard from a lot of people that you should always keep the chamber empty because nothing says "get out of my house" better than the sound of a shotgun racking. Which reminds me, I need to go buy one. Thanks for the reminder folks!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    My position on this subject has changed over the last few years I think.

Mine is generally mag loaded, chamber loaded, safety on.

I can see mag loaded, chamber empty with a shell beside the shotgun for dropping into the action for silent "load".

I personally don't see the benefit out weighing the negatives on "racking the slide for effect" so I choose to keep mine loaded/loaded safety on.

:twocents:
    +1

The very, very small benefit to having empty chamber is nothing compared to the advantage of having gun ready to go and an extra round to fire if needed.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I am concerned, with children in the house, about keeping the chamber loaded. Until I get some kind of locker, if I can get to it, they can get to it. I'm not so worried about my kids (they know never to approach a firearm, that it is always loaded, to inform an adult if they find one) - it's their friends who visit that concern me. If I leave the chamber empty, that's one more step noisy step they have to take. As it is now, I keep it in the gun locker in the basement. No quick access, but also no chance of kid accidents. Gotta get that bedroom locker ASAP...

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I am concerned, with children in the house, about keeping the chamber loaded. Until I get some kind of locker, if I can get to it, they can get to it. I'm not so worried about my kids (the know never to approach a firearm, that it is always loaded, to inform an adult if they find one) - it's their friends who visit that concern me. If I leave the chamber empty, that's one more step noisy step they have to take. As it is now, I keep it in the gun locker in the basement. No quick access, but also no chance of kid accidents. Gotta get that bedroom locker ASAP...

You have to have discipline. If you don’t have a safe, get some trigger locks (unload gun before using trigger lock). When you are home unlock and load. Before you leave unload and lock. :twocents:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You have to have discipline. If you don’t have a safe, get some trigger locks (unload gun before using trigger lock). When you are home unlock and load. Before you leave unload and lock. :twocents:

You could use a cable lock that goes through the action of the gun too.
    You can keep the magazine tube loaded and the chamber empty and lock it like that.
    This way you wont have to load and unload it everyday or mutliple times a day.
    Unlock it when you are home or going to sleep.
    Lock it in the morning when you have to leave.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    You could use a cable lock that goes through the action of the gun too.
    You can keep the magazine tube loaded and the chamber empty and lock it like that.
    This way you wont have to load and unload it everyday or mutliple times a day.
    Unlock it when you are home or going to sleep.
    Lock it in the morning when you have to leave.
    Good point on the cable lock :yesway:

tobi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    After years of hunting and target shooting, I'm accustomed to grabbing my firearm and manipulating the safety. In both hunting and target/competitive shooting the constant is that my weapon is loaded fully with safety on.

My trained response to any target/threat is to grab weapon, ready my weapon and disengage the safety. Yours seems to be grab weapon, load the weapon, ready the weapon.

Top Bottom