• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • In what condition do you keep your home defense shotgun?

• Total voters

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I keep my pistol chambered, but I decock it so that it has a double action first trigger pull. I'm just comfortable carrying that way. It's the primary reason why I don't like all these glocks and striker fired guns.

My shotgun has no such feature (nor does any other shotgun that I'm aware of), so I keep it chamber empty. When cocked, it's trigger pull is hair-light. I bet a good rap on the butt could trip it.

When I wake up in the middle of the night, I'm either gonna be half asleep, or full-tilt adrenalin pumping. I figure I might forget about flipping the safety on the shotgun. However, to me at least, racking the gun seems natural after picking it up, and that racking movement is much more conducive to being half asleep or fight/flight mode, than flicking a safety.

Is the racking sound a deterrent? I'll find out when someone makes me use the shotgun :D

So you're more conditioned to immediately pick up your firearms and rack the slide than flipping off the safety?

Not me.

What if your scenario is the BG coming in through your bedroom window or maybe he's already in your house and busts into your room, waking you up? With that adrenaline dump, confusion and sleepyness, are you gonna have the dexterity and presence of mind to load the round and fire? I won't gamble on that. Clicking the safety off and pulling the trigger seems like a better option for me. YMMV

I agree with this, again, I stated I keep mine fully loaded. I have however seen people who had trained themselves to the point of sleep loading their firearms. I am not one of them.

I respectfully disagree with keeping the chamber open and a round nearby.

If I were to keep the chamber open and one nearby, I see this happening:

"CRAP, someones breaking in! (grab the shotgun) (get ready for confrontation) CRAP I forgot to grab the loose shell! (run back) CRAP where's it at? (it fell behind the cabinet, the dog ate it, etc...) CRAP ( I close the action, then try to re-chamber a round in, only to remember after struggling that I need to hit the release to allow me to open the chamber without pulling the trigger, now I'm late to the party and making excessive noise...

as compared to:
    "CRAP, someones breaking in! (grab the shotgun) (get ready for confrontation) (rack the pump) (confront intruder, if he hasn't already left in cowardly fear)

I also would see myself fumbling for the spare..... which is why (as I stated above) I keep mine fully loaded, safety on.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...To those of you who keep it without one in the chamber, do you also do this with your defensive handgun?

Completely different mechanism with different internal safety features. One reason someone might use a different protocol for a shotgun.

The sound of a shotgun racking has nothing to do with it.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I don't know if you were reffering to me or someone else, but my bedroom window is to high up and too small to get through easily.

My dogs will wake the whole neighborhood up by the time the intruder steps inside, giving him ample time to give up, and me ample time to get ready.

flicking the safety off seems like it'd be easy to forget.

however, pumping the pump shotgun to fire it seems about as obvious as putting one foot in front of the other to walk. It's muscle memory, you don't even think about it. You know, no matter how tired or messed up you are, that you have to pump it for each shot.

What if your scenario is the BG coming in through your bedroom window or maybe he's already in your house and busts into your room, waking you up? With that adrenaline dump, confusion and sleepyness, are you gonna have the dexterity and presence of mind to load the round and fire? I won't gamble on that. Clicking the safety off and pulling the trigger seems like a better option for me. YMMV

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It's probably different for everyone based on the configuration of the home (i.e., one, two, or three story); whether children are in the home; and where the shotgun is kept (i.e., kept in a safe or under the bed). Taking these issues into account, I like keeping the tube completely filled, chamber empty, and safety off.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    So you're more conditioned to immediately pick up your firearms and rack the slide than flipping off the safety?

Not me.

Not with my firearms, just with my pump shotgun. With my carry pistol, I pick it up and pull the trigger. Yeah it's stiff at first, but I'm used to it. And I feel safe having it that way.

Pumping the shotgun is just muscle memory to me.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I don't know if you were reffering to me or someone else, but my bedroom window is to high up and too small to get through easily.

My dogs will wake the whole neighborhood up by the time the intruder steps inside, giving him ample time to give up, and me ample time to get ready.

flicking the safety off seems like it'd be easy to forget.

however, pumping the pump shotgun to fire it seems about as obvious as putting one foot in front of the other to walk. It's muscle memory, you don't even think about it. You know, no matter how tired or messed up you are, that you have to pump it for each shot.

You're arguing about who's training what methods really. You're accustomed to grabbing your weapon and racking the slide.

After years of hunting and target shooting, I'm accustomed to grabbing my firearm and manipulating the safety. In both hunting and target/competitive shooting the constant is that my weapon is loaded fully with safety on.

My trained response to any target/threat is to grab weapon, ready my weapon and disengage the safety. Yours seems to be grab weapon, load the weapon, ready the weapon.

I can see why you would do this, however I think for those who have long time experience with multiple platforms of weapons, it is better to maintain your training across platforms and not perform a special routine just because the weapon you're grabbing is a shotgun.

It's probably different for everyone based on the configuration of the home (i.e., one, two, or three story); whether children are in the home; and where the shotgun is kept (i.e., kept in a safe or under the bed). Taking these issues into account, I like keeping the tube completely filled, chamber empty, and safety off.

Very good point about mindsets, I can see how your preparation method fits your situation and training.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I don't buy into theory that racking the side is a deterrent. Due to that fact, I keep mine loaded (chamber and magazine) and safety on.

To those of you who keep it without one in the chamber, do you also do this with your defensive handgun?
    No. 1911 topped off, cocked and locked, Taurus PT92 AR chambered/decocked. Maverick 88 loaded mag, empty chamber. I throw that shogun around everywhere and it has the marks to show it. I found that the button safety can easily be knocked off when it is laid down or picked up. I definitely do not do it for a warning.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    So you're more conditioned to immediately pick up your firearms and rack the slide than flipping off the safety? ...

Depends on the firearm. Amazingly they don't all have the same manual of arms.

And yeah, I'm more conditioned to pick up a firearm and check the action to determine it's status. I handle a gun way more administratively. Pick it up and start shooting? Not so much.

As Que mentioned, much depends on the circumstances.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Depends on the firearm. Amazingly they don't all have the same manual of arms.

And yeah, I'm more conditioned to pick up a firearm and check the action to determine it's status. What do we do more, handle a gun administratively, or pick it up and start shooting? I hope the former.

As Que mentioned, much depends on the circumstances.

I can see your thinking in regards to handling random firearms on a daily basis, however as a long time hunter/plinker and short time competitive shooter, I can easily say that 75% of the time I handle my home and personal defense weapons I am indeed going to be discharging them. The other 25% is just cleaning post said discharges and transportation.

I'm not a "fondeler" of firearms. Firearms are tools that require frequent use to stay proficient :D.

About the "depends on the firearm", the only firearms I have without manual safeties are my EDC primary and backup self defense pistols, both Glock 22's. All my rifles, shotguns and my other pistols have manual safeties.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    You're accustomed to grabbing your weapon and racking the slide.

I'm accustomed to my pump shotgun and carry pistol. I'm confidant that the methods I use with them are the best for me and my situation.

When I grab the shotgun, I gotta grab the slide as well, and since I have to rack that slide for each shot, I may as well keep things simple and rack it for the first shot as well. It only takes a fraction of a second after gripping the gun. it's an easy and uncomplicated or delicate movement that I can do either half asleep or in tachycardia.

When I grab the pistol, I just need to pull the trigger, the same simpleness applies.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I'm accustomed to my pump shotgun and carry pistol. I'm confidant that the methods I use with them are the best for me and my situation.

When I grab the shotgun, I gotta grab the slide as well, and since I have to rack that slide for each shot, I may as well keep things simple and rack it for the first shot as well. It only takes a fraction of a second after gripping the gun. it's an easy and uncomplicated or delicate movement that I can do either half asleep or in tachycardia.

When I grab the pistol, I just need to pull the trigger, the same simpleness applies.

Sure, our differences boil down to training and self conditioning. We both use what we feel most conditioned to use as a muscle memory action opposed to some list of steps to memorize.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Load the chamber and safety on.
    If you load it right you can have a full mag and one in the chamber. That's one extra shot over keeping the chamber empty. One extra shot versus possibly scaring them. And keeping the element of surprise if needed.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Thank you all for your answers!
    Also it could be the topic of another thread but what do you keep your shotgun loaded with?
    I found out reduced recoil 00 buckshot was one of the best thing I could use for home defense but I know some people use everything from birdshot to slugs or even non-lethal rounds.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I use plain ol 00 buckshot, although I wonder if I'd be giving up any lethality by switching to a low-recoil variety. While I can shoot full power stuff, I don't like to :D

How much less recoil are we actually talking too? a little or a lot?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I use plain ol 00 buckshot, although I wonder if I'd be giving up any lethality by switching to a low-recoil variety. While I can shoot full power stuff, I don't like to :D

How much less recoil are we actually talking too? a little or a lot?

I havent tried it yet so I cant tell you about the recoil, just bough the stuff. :dunno:
    I read it can kick 15% to 20% less than non-reduced ammo.
    But from what I understand in a self defense scenario since you will be shooting at very short range you wont give up any lethality if you use reduced recoil.It would still be a very powerful round especially at short distance.
    Most reduced recoil shotgun ammo I see is advertised for law enforcement.
    It should do the job just find and let you shoot faster too.

Top Bottom