• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Anyone know of a good Home Defense Shotgun Course near Allen county? Something doesn't require me to wear any gear. Just me and my gun. Thanks

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Something doesn't require me to wear any gear.

What gear would one wear? You mean like standard gun school issue like we always have to wear, like a pink tutu or a purple Speedo and wrestling shoes (remember, back waxing is mandatory)? Or, a mandatory Van Dyke, woof shirt and a dirty baseball cap or what?

I usually wear a gas mask bag with extra ammo (have seen guys use nail aprons) but I only load from the gun's sidesaddle and never the bag.

Have you considered making enormous trek to far-off and exotic Lebanon (Boone County) to go to school with Louis Awerbuck? *Afrikaans accent* Here's a clue for yoouuuu:

http://www.yfainc.com/schedule.html

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    For the MDFI class in June all you'll need is your gun, a sling and ammo. The only recommended additional gear would be a pouch or bag of some sort to bring extra ammo to the line with you.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I would totally be interested in a course like this. i live in NWI, and I haven't seen any training courses up here. I'd be willing to drive, but like most people, work and life often gets in the way. I don't mean to cross post, but does anyone know of anything close to Lake County?

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    By no gear i mean a course that i could do in my underwear if i need to. unless i sleep or wear an ammo holder all the time, I don't think a course that requires one would be realistic. Also basic home defence tatic's would be ideal. practise how you play.

Thanks for links, looking into them.

Last edited:

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    What gear would one wear? You mean like standard gun school issue like we always have to wear, like a pink tutu or a purple Speedo and wrestling shoes (remember, back waxing is mandatory)? Or, a mandatory Van Dyke, woof shirt and a dirty baseball cap or what?

I usually wear a gas mask bag with extra ammo (have seen guys use nail aprons) but I only load from the gun's sidesaddle and never the bag.

Have you considered making enormous trek to far-off and exotic Lebanon (Boone County) to go to school with Louis Awerbuck? *Afrikaans accent* Here's a clue for yoouuuu:

http://www.yfainc.com/schedule.html

Good stuff, Now if only the home defence tatics course was here in Indiana.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    By no gear i mean a course that i could do in my underwear if i need to. unless i sleep or wear an ammo holder all the time, I don't think a course that requires one would be realistic. Also basic home defence tatic's would be ideal. practise how you play.

Thanks for links, looking into them.

You can run any of these courses with what you have, there is no requirement that your gun have any type of spare shell holder.
    That said, you won't be able to realistically participate in the class without a way to tote extra ammunition to the line when you're shooting drills. You don't just shoot a drill 'till you're empty and then go back to the table to reload. You will need to carry a few reloads worth of shells to the line so that you can participate in the drills and not hold-up your squad.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    unless i sleep or wear an ammo holder all the time, I don't think a course that requires one would be realistic.

Gun school is not usually geared to the gun gamer set where they wear all the ammo on them. Maybe some guys play dress up festooned with ammo like they are in some three gun match or a Call of Duty (CoD Tactical is all the rage) re-enactor or what not (I've not seen it, but I am low speed and high drag and do not have a Van Dyke).

Even if it was gamer class, no reason you have to play their game, simply load from the gun, the side saddle or butt cuff.

Remember, the key to shotgun is not the shooting, but the loading. It's all about the manipulation, THEN it's about the bling bling.

Ahhh, brasshopper, you have learned much today. *gong sounds*

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    If it's shotgun home defense, shouldn't you have to go through the course in like, underwear, or pajamas, or naked?

Also, why do you need a class for this? I've been to the movies, you just hold your shotgun down at your hip, point in the general direction of the bad guy, pull the trigger, and he goes flying about ten yards backwards.

Oh, and you rechamber a round with one hand ala Linda Hamliton in Terminator.

Class dismissed.

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    If it's shotgun home defense, shouldn't you have to go through the course in like, underwear, or pajamas, or naked?

Also, why do you need a class for this? I've been to the movies, you just hold your shotgun down at your hip, point in the general direction of the bad guy, pull the trigger, and he goes flying about ten yards backwards.

Oh, and you rechamber a round with one hand ala Linda Hamliton in Terminator.

Class dismissed.

Do I rack the first round real loud as a warning? :D

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Gun school is not usually geared to the gun gamer set where they wear all the ammo on them. Maybe some guys play dress up festooned with ammo like they are in some three gun match or a Call of Duty (CoD Tactical is all the rage) re-enactor or what not (I've not seen it, but I am low speed and high drag and do not have a Van Dyke).

Even if it was gamer class, no reason you have to play their game, simply load from the gun, the side saddle or butt cuff.

Remember, the key to shotgun is not the shooting, but the loading. It's all about the manipulation, THEN it's about the bling bling.

Ahhh, brasshopper, you have learned much today. *gong sounds*

Ahhh, but my SWAT gear looks so good and is soooo comfortable at night :mallninja:

jason conley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    WEST SIDE OF INDY
    Use a pistol, try and get out of your room with a shotgun in the dark it is not easy, practice at home and get a system down for "house cleaning", you might want to call 911. Im not saying don't use a shotgun but in my house a shotgun is not my best option unless barracaded in my room.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Do I rack the first round real loud as a warning? :D

Yes, and also later, when you're talking real tough and the guy starts to reach for something, you rack it again to stop him.

Note: Second threat racks do not eject the shell you loaded into the chamber the first time.

Top Bottom