Home Defense Rifle: Round chambered or not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How do you keep your home defense rifle?

• Total voters

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    We're not simply talking about the safety of first responders. At the very least, if your home ever catches on fire, be sure to advise first responders of the location, and "status" of your firearms and ammo.
    Yeah I would but all my stuff Is properly locked up so it's not gonna shoot them.
    Firefighters suing people, there's my laugh for the day.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Like I said earlier in thread, I have kids. I can't take the chance. Once they grow up and leave home I'll have guns stashed everywhere. But hell by then I'll probably have bought so many of the quick access pistol safes to stash guns that I'll just keep using them. Lol.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Yeah I would but all my stuff Is properly locked up so it's not gonna shoot them.
    Firefighters suing people, there's my laugh for the day.

Laugh if you like but the "Firefighter's Rule" is not absolute (some states have done away with it), and firefighters (and their survivors) have already successfully sued homeowners for negligence that was related to the fire itself. I don't necessarily agree that it's right, but it is fact, and when you have unnecessary nonsense like chambered weapons purposefully left laying about, I'd say the opportunity to assert negligence rises dramatically. After all, you CHOSE your negligence. :) And of course, if your round hits a non-firefighter...

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#safe=off&q=firefighter+sues+homeowner

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    I keep my carry handgun ready to go. It's by the bedside every night. The rifles... I use to keep loaded. One in the chamber. Safety on ready to go. I stopped doing that. Main reasons why I stopped doing that is the rifle should be stored bolt toward, safety off, hammer fired. Keeping your rifle constantly with its hammer in the cocked position is bad for everything. Not to mention if something were worn/broken, the potential for something bad happening is more when it's 100% all the time cocked and a worn part or spring could make it go off. Or not go off. Bolt back on an ar15 would be the worst way to store it. Slam fire, as well as slam chamber are both bad bad things. TLDR; carry pistol, ready to go. AR15 needs chambered, rifle stored on "fire"

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Shotgun, loaded condition 1
    Rifle, mag loaded empty chamber

All my handguns are condition 1 and I have several throughout my house, hopefully I never have to get into my safe to get a long gun out.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    This. ^^^^

Unless I am carrying it, I see no reason to have a round in the chamber, but good reasons not to, especially if it is stored in some manner. Rifles are not nearly as drop-safe as pistols.

Also, burning ammo is usually no problem in a house (or vehicle) fire, when it heats up it just goes "pop" and the brass separates from the bullet. But when that ammo is the chamber of a burning rifle and it cooks off, it will do its normal 2000 fps right through the walls or ceiling. Lots of discussion elsewhere on "ND" versus "AD", but this would be a slam dunk as a "ND", and if it me or one of my fellow firefighters or the neighbors, I would certainly be pressing the police for charges. And perhaps my lawyer for civil damages.

Same for "trunk guns".

By myself, handgun much more satisfactory for maneuvering in the home. If I have wife or buddy with handgun, then I have time and presence of mind to charge my rifle.

I had not thought about that perspective before. While I've been reluctant to leave my rifles with a round chambered while unattended, I've been doing that with handguns all too regularly. I've always been a believer of the idea that any additional manipulation is a risk that needs to be considered. So, when I carry a different gun, I don't unload my current carry gun, I just lock it up and move on. Plus, there are the stashed guns around that are loaded too. The idea that firemen could watch my house burn to the ground while pouring water on it from afar because I rightfully divulged that there are loaded guns inside is not a comfortable one. The idea of not telling them and watching them go into my house to save my stuff all the while knowing that I have firearms that could cook off and injure one of them is even worse.

There is some serious perspective gaining info being tossed around here. Enough to make your head hurt.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    1. Any guns not "in use" are unloaded.
    2. Guns "in use" are on my hip or locked in a safe.
    3. Loaded guns are not stored with unloaded guns.
    4. Long guns don't have drop safeties like handguns, therefore they are NEVER stored loaded. Stuff happens. It's not worth it to store a loaded long gun.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    1. Any guns not "in use" are unloaded.
    2. Guns "in use" are on my hip or locked in a safe.
    3. Loaded guns are not stored with unloaded guns.
    4. Long guns don't have drop safeties like handguns, therefore they are NEVER stored loaded. Stuff happens. It's not worth it to store a loaded long gun.

Also, I naturally have "bad" habit of ALWAYS doing a brass check. I don't unload my duty gun, yet EVERY single day before going into work, I check to make sure a round is in the chamber.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Some of these responses are interesting. I keep the rifle as well as shotgun both loaded and ready to go. I have a responsible family and feel totally cool with this. I have a buddy who keeps a loaded mag in his AR but has the bolt locked back and all he has to do is drop the bolt. Some don't want any unnecessary noise but it works for him as he has all of his rifles with the bolt locked back when not in use.

My biggest worry about leaving a gun out is not about it being loaded, but the fact it can just be taken if someone is to break into my house while I am not there!

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    He just has been taught misinformation. He's wrong period.
    Army standard is to leave them fired while stored. While there is debate on if keeping a gun cocked weakens the springs or not, there is no debate that keeping the weapons uncocked doesn't weaken the springs. In addition you can pick up an M4 that has the hammer already fired, and safety lever in the fire position and when you attempt to put it on safe and it doesn't go onto safe, you know the chamber is empty and the hammer is not cocked. Doing arms inspections on 150 M4s once a week and having to rack each rifle to see if it is clear before handling it is dumb, a waste of time and potentially unsafe. I can pick up my rifle, without doing any manipulation of anything other than slight pressure on the safety and be able to verify that the weapon doesn't have a live round in the chamber. Everyone is welcome to store their weapons however they see fit. But personally I want to store my weapons in the way that is the safest, as well as the best for the weapon.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Army standard is to leave them fired while stored. While there is debate on if keeping a gun cocked weakens the springs or not, there is no debate that keeping the weapons uncocked doesn't weaken the springs. In addition you can pick up an M4 that has the hammer already fired, and safety lever in the fire position and when you attempt to put it on safe and it doesn't go onto safe, you know the chamber is empty and the hammer is not cocked. Doing arms inspections on 150 M4s once a week and having to rack each rifle to see if it is clear before handling it is dumb, a waste of time and potentially unsafe. I can pick up my rifle, without doing any manipulation of anything other than slight pressure on the safety and be able to verify that the weapon doesn't have a live round in the chamber. Everyone is welcome to store their weapons however they see fit. But personally I want to store my weapons in the way that is the safest, as well as the best for the weapon.

Defense use would be different than storage. I have a few guns that are unloaded and stored.
    A weapon in the safe would not be considered a home defense weapon.

sgt1968

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2015
    lynn
    one in .cuz if you have time to load you have time to think .and the law would say .and we all know thay would

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom