Home Defense Rifle: Round chambered or not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How do you keep your home defense rifle?

• Total voters

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    All guns should be treated as loaded at all times, why does it make a difference storing one loaded? especially for a self defense rifle... Do you keep your handgun loaded at all times? Even in the safe my EDC and BUG are ready to rock.

the AR that's in my room is ready to roll with only the flick of the safety.
    Youre comparing a rifle, thats leaned up against the sofa to a handgun thats on my person, in a holster?

Also, In not quite sure why a loaded firearm, under lock and key is advantageous.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    I don't think I'd be half asleep. If I'm half asleep, its a situation where I simply woke up and wanted to check the house, if its a real problem, you're wide awake, scared as hell, and somebody's gonna die.

Loaded mag inserted, empty chamber, bolt/slide closed. I disagree with carrying as I would during "awake" hours. When I'm half asleep I don't want to do something inadvertantly stupid.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yeah buddy.......I am still slightly stumble bum for a few seconds even then. Once up and moving the heads clears but not as fast as it used to.
    Getting :fogey: sucks.
    Yeah man I agree I'm not as sure footed for a bit but I am aware enough to operate my gun. I've always had in my plan to secure my family and call police. I just will not be clearing my house at zero dark 30, and that's from someone who did it for a living. I know some folks will say that's a ***** move but that's fine. Let the people who choose to do it do it. I'm a dad now and my priority is staying alive to keep them alive. Now if they try to come past my line in the sand I WILL stop the threat.
    I should state that my primary home defense gun is deffinately my pistol with a good light on it (M&P9 full size & surefire x300).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah man I agree I'm not as sure footed for a bit but I am aware enough to operate my gun. I've always had in my plan to secure my family and call police. I just will not be clearing my house at zero dark 30, and that's from someone who did it for a living. I know some folks will say that's a ***** move but that's fine. Let the people who choose to do it do it. I'm a dad now and my priority is staying alive to keep them alive. Now if they try to come past my line in the sand I WILL stop the threat.
    I should state that my primary home defense gun is deffinately my pistol with a good light on it (M&P9 full size & surefire x300).

My kids are up and gone. Well not real gone but yes, just me and the wife. She does the 911 thing and I access. You know my SD piece. My house is laid out easily enough to navigate at night.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood

Agreed. We woke up to the kids Blazer car alarm going off about 4:45 this morning. Called Speedway PD to come take a look. Could I go out there and take a look? Sure. But I will let the paid professionals do that first.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    For me the most important thing is to keep my gun the same way all the time. I'm a creature of habit, and if I grab my short shotgun for use, I'm still gonna take a second to check to make sure there's a round in the chamber anyway, so I might as well keep it without one in there and rack the slide when I want to be ready for business.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I know the rifle that I left accessible from my bed is the one that is loaded. No question about it. When I wake up all groggy and feeling like **** because something went bump in the night, my rifle is ready to go and all it needs to work is safety off.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Everything loaded and chambered, everything is +1 with safety on. Lever gun is not chambered and must be cycled first, no safety on that one, don't need a noon coon fingering it.

Those that carry one way and do home defense another way are setting themselves up for disaster. Your brain goes full retard and you go back to muscle memory. If everything is hot all you have to do is squeeze the trigger.

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Bolt closed, mag in.... NO round chambered. It's not about being uncomfortable, it's seeing my idiot friend slamfire an SKS. I'm not a gun guru armorer, so I do what makes sense to me. I doubt the tenth of the second it takes to charge your rifle makes a difference to those who have a handgun as their initial primary HD weapon. If I only had a rifle, maybe I'd reconsider, but for HD, I'd much rather have a handgun.

This. ^^^^

Unless I am carrying it, I see no reason to have a round in the chamber, but good reasons not to, especially if it is stored in some manner. Rifles are not nearly as drop-safe as pistols.

Also, burning ammo is usually no problem in a house (or vehicle) fire, when it heats up it just goes "pop" and the brass separates from the bullet. But when that ammo is the chamber of a burning rifle and it cooks off, it will do its normal 2000 fps right through the walls or ceiling. Lots of discussion elsewhere on "ND" versus "AD", but this would be a slam dunk as a "ND", and if it me or one of my fellow firefighters or the neighbors, I would certainly be pressing the police for charges. And perhaps my lawyer for civil damages.

Same for "trunk guns".

By myself, handgun much more satisfactory for maneuvering in the home. If I have wife or buddy with handgun, then I have time and presence of mind to charge my rifle.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This. ^^^^

Unless I am carrying it, I see no reason to have a round in the chamber, but good reasons not to, especially if it is stored in some manner. Rifles are not nearly as drop-safe as pistols.

Also, burning ammo is usually no problem in a house (or vehicle) fire, when it heats up it just goes "pop" and the brass separates from the bullet. But when that ammo is the chamber of a burning rifle and it cooks off, it will do its normal 2000 fps right through the walls or ceiling. Lots of discussion elsewhere on "ND" versus "AD", but this would be a slam dunk as a "ND", and if it me or one of my fellow firefighters or the neighbors, I would certainly be pressing the police for charges. And perhaps my lawyer for civil damages.

Same for "trunk guns".

By myself, handgun much more satisfactory for maneuvering in the home. If I have wife or buddy with handgun, then I have time and presence of mind to charge my rifle.

Wow, you bring up a point I'd never considered. Nobody thinks about their house burning down..... until it does. And I've been on, and in, a lot of house fire scenes.

Rep'd

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    This. ^^^^

Same for "trunk guns".

My friend, Alamo. You have gained wisdom in your 55 years. Volunteer fireman brings us to a point unconsidered. My AR's are currently a 30 round cook off waiting to happen. I will change that this week.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The point about most long guns (especially shotguns) not being as "drop safe" as handguns is worthy of repeating. This is another good reason to go chamber empty when the long gun is not in your direct control.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    This. ^^^^

Same for "trunk guns".

Crock of crap! Sue me for having a loaded gun that went off in a fire? You chose your job.

having an unloaded self defense gun on your person in your home or in your car is stupid. There I've said it. Now the armchairs can rip me

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Crock of crap! Sue me for having a loaded gun that went off in a fire? You chose your job.

having an unloaded self defense gun on your person in your home or in your car is stupid. There I've said it. Now the armchairs can rip me

We're not simply talking about the safety of first responders. At the very least, if your home ever catches on fire, be sure to advise first responders of the location, and "status" of your firearms and ammo.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom