• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    A wise detective told me once to put a $20 bill inside a clean glass and leave it in your entry way. When the criminal grabs it, you increase your odds that they will leave behind some good prints on the glass.

What do you mean by "inside a clean glass"?

I think it's a good idea having a print trap, but I don't understand what you mean by inside a clean glass.

Are you talking about a clean cup?

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Maybe it's better all the way around, for all of us tax payers, if one of these guys gets smoked every now and then. Maybe it will send a message to the bad guys that stealing from someones home may get them shot and killed.

It probably won't, some other idiot will do it anyway thinking they won't get caught or shot, but I can dream can't I?

To the OP, sorry you had to go through that, to the LEO's, that is some quick response time.
    Hope you get your stuff back, but we both know you likely won't.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A

I think it's a good idea having a print trap, but I don't understand what you mean by inside a clean glass.

I think they mean, like a decorative glass top table, or piece of "art" if you will. Put the bill underneath the glass, that way when they remove the glass their prints will be on it, IF they are not wearing gloves.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

Means a clean drinking glass. Try getting a $20 bill out of it without leaving a single print...difficult. Glass is the best medium for prints. Most surfaces in a house will not hold good prints...contrary to what you see on CSI.

Hajisc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   1
    Oct 11, 2012
    Westville,In.
    I feel a little nieve , didn't realize that there were so many home break-ins so close. We have the alarm and cameras and I have had friends and family accuse me of being overly paronoid having them. If someones in the house illegally and gets past the deadbolts and dogs he/she deserves whats coming.

strongcrow

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy Central
    OK last post. Near eastside ghetto. house doesn't look like it has as much as the neighbors. kicked in front door. alarm company called me and left messages (2) as I was unavailable durig a fire drill at work ( in the basement with no phone signal). IF I had been able to pick up the first call, they probably would have gotten caught in the act due to the swift response of our LEOs. Yup, same guy had SBR taken from truck in front of Pops a couple years ago. Still glad no firearms were harmed in this FU@@up. thanks for the concern guys, what comes around goes around.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY

Exactly that, though i have a $50.00 sandwiched between a glass table and a square piece of plate glass. It looks like art and you'll have to clean it often as your dickhead friends will finger it up. The bad guys have to pick up the glass to get to the $50.00...which they did.

At the time i didn't have an alarm. The only places in my house that they left retrievable prints were the glass trap and my TV that they couldn't get off the wall. They wiped most of the prints off the TV. The police had them caught the next day. Had i not had the trap and they made off with the TV i'd be out.

I now have an ADT alarm that is modified to call me directly instead of paying a company to monitor. I also have IVERA which allows me to use my phone to monitor 5 different cameras, turn my lights on and off, set my thermostat, etc etc. I'd recommend it to anyone. I have one camera pointed at the street to get cars coming and going.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Exactly that, though i have a $50.00 sandwiched between a glass table and a square piece of plate glass. It looks like art and you'll have to clean it often as your dickhead friends will finger it up. The bad guys have to pick up the glass to get to the $50.00...which they did.

At the time i didn't have an alarm. The only places in my house that they left retrievable prints were the glass trap and my TV that they couldn't get off the wall. They wiped most of the prints off the TV. The police had them caught the next day. Had i not had the trap and they made off with the TV i'd be out.

I now have an ADT alarm that is modified to call me directly instead of paying a company to monitor. I also have IVERA which allows me to use my phone to monitor 5 different cameras, turn my lights on and off, set my thermostat, etc etc. I'd recommend it to anyone. I have one camera pointed at the street to get cars coming and going.

That's sick. How do you modify the alarm?

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    The ADT alarms are set to dial the closest ADT center using crappy old telephone modem technology...remember the old 28.8 modems with the deeeeeeeeeedoooooochhhhhhhhhrsherheshrhshherheh noise? Essentially if an alarm is tripped your alarm uses a modem and calls a call center. The modem says in computer talk to the ADT call center computers, "interior motion" or "living room glass break". The call center then calls the police and says, there is an alarm going off at XXX living room glass break.

If your ADT alarm is shut off, it still works, it just isn't monitored by anyone. I reprogrammed my box to call my cell. I don't get the information like ADT does, all i get is a call from my house that sounds like a modem going off. I then hang up and access my cameras on my phone. If something is out of the ordinary i can call the police myself and give them real time updates as to what is going on, what they are wearing, where they came in, what possible vehicle they are driving etc.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Means a clean drinking glass. Try getting a $20 bill out of it without leaving a single print...difficult. Glass is the best medium for prints. Most surfaces in a house will not hold good prints...contrary to what you see on CSI.

You mean Horatio would miss-lead us.....:rolleyes:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We had Brinks do both houses but did not re-sign with them. Service at that time totally sucked as we had issues and they were asleep at the wheel. We modified the entire system to turn on lights and fire some god awful sirens inside and out using the existing motion detectors and the window and door switches. It will also turn on the perimeter floods if it is dark outside. Using the existing relay's and adding a few gizmo's it works pretty well. The neighbors will call the cops if the property lights up and starts screaming. We are adding some additional wiring to put it on the battery back up power soon.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    The ADT alarms are set to dial the closest ADT center using crappy old telephone modem technology...remember the old 28.8 modems with the deeeeeeeeeedoooooochhhhhhhhhrsherheshrhshherheh noise? Essentially if an alarm is tripped your alarm uses a modem and calls a call center. The modem says in computer talk to the ADT call center computers, "interior motion" or "living room glass break". The call center then calls the police and says, there is an alarm going off at XXX living room glass break.

If your ADT alarm is shut off, it still works, it just isn't monitored by anyone. I reprogrammed my box to call my cell. I don't get the information like ADT does, all i get is a call from my house that sounds like a modem going off. I then hang up and access my cameras on my phone. If something is out of the ordinary i can call the police myself and give them real time updates as to what is going on, what they are wearing, where they came in, what possible vehicle they are driving etc.

How do you reprogram the dial out number?

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I had the install book from ADT. You press a series of numbers that gets you into the system and where you can choose or add a number, i just added my own. This is an older system, but there probably is a way. I'd try an internet search it must be common.

Supersport

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Lafayette
    Nice to hear that you didn't lose your near and dear friends...although losing the tv is enough to make anyone mad. I have a home security system and to be honest i don't put that much faith in it. I have more faith in my black lab!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Reinforce your door jams folks. I mean, in terms of priority, it's way cheaper and quicker than having an alarm system installed and provides increased security immediately.

I'm not against alarms. Have one myself. However, it's all about layers of security. (Yes, I realize there are limitations in a rental, but even so there are solutions.)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Reinforce your door jams folks. I mean, in terms of priority, it's way cheaper and quicker than having an alarm system installed and provides increased security immediately.

I'm not against alarms. Have one myself. However, it's all about layers of security. (Yes, I realize there are limitations in a rental, but even so there are solutions.)

One afternoon and a few inexpensive materials and you can make your jambs very tough. Several ways to do this. All of mine in both houses and the shop are near bullet proof.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012

One afternoon and a few inexpensive materials and you can make your jambs very tough. Several ways to do this. All of mine in both houses and the shop are near bullet proof.

Ok, I'll bite. What are your specific ideas in beefing up standard pre-hung entry doors? I'm interested, since it appears I have skipped step #1... got the guns, the dogs (GSDs), and an Alarm, but am feeling a little "unprotected" with my non-reinforced door jams.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom