• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Ummm......while a break in always sucks, and we all value the opportunity to protect ourselves, killing should be a LAST RESORT.

It's not "too bad", it's very good that he wasn't home.
    That would depend on individual's perspective and morals.

Personally, I know several women who've been violently attacked and wish they could have dispatched their attackers at the time because now they just think about them being free to do it to others. :twocents:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Ummm......while a break in always sucks, and we all value the opportunity to protect ourselves, killing should be a LAST RESORT.

Um no, it is "too bad"! It means the dirtbag(s) live to violate again. I'm not advocating vigilantism (maybe I am) but if we the people stand up to crap like this, either through darwinism or divine intervention, perhaps one day we can all stop locking our doors again.

Pipe dream I know but if you quit dreamin'. . .

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    That sucks man that you were robbed. A long time ago,back when I was 23 and just started collecting firearms, the apartment I was living in was broken into and robbed. They stole everything from me, from tv's, guns. leather jackets and even the damn sheets on the bed. Sorry to hear about your robbery but it could've definitely have been worse. Hope you get your stuff recovered, I never did

Sheets were prolly used to carry the small items.

GustavHalbach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010

I respectfully disagree. If you break into my home to steal from me or harm my family, you have at that point made the choice that your life is "worth the risk" ...ie you have made the decision to forfeit your life should I catch you.

While I do not seek confrontation or to harm/kill....if you are in my domicile stealing or harming...you will pay the price.

Just MHO.

-G

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort

I have mixed feelings about this. If they break into a home and live, one of my 80+ year old sisters might be next --- she might be home and suffer injury or death from persons that obviously don't care about the law or others. If they are shot my sisters and wife and children's homes are all safer. I don't like or want anyone to be killed ----but neither do I want anyone to break into homes or rape or otherwise injure innocent people. When I hear about a clerk shooting some threatening thief, I feel relief that at least many others are safer. It also may persuade some people to turn away from their life of crime. I was asked years ago by a friend if I would really shoot someone if my, or others lives were in danger, I replied absolutely, if not I would not carry a weapon. -

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    indianapolis
    there have been a lot of home break-ins around my neighborhood lately ... day AND night. What I've been hearing through the neighborly grapevine is these as$-hats are getting their hands on people's garage door openers & just sauntering into the homes overnight like they own the damn place. It'd be one thing if they only were getting into unoccupied homes, but they're coming in while people are asleep in their beds! Scares the crap out of me knowing that while my wife is home on maternity leave with our 1 month old daughter. Fortunately, she knows where the glock & the mossberg stay & she damn well knows how to point and shoot :draw:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Pin the overhead doors at night by dropping a lock in the rails to stop the rollers.
    Older model units do not scramble the remote signal and are easy pray to folks who drive around with a remote pointing it at doors until one opens...true fact. Older units have simple radio frequency's and your opener might work on someones door a few blocks over. My son worked for a garage door co. and he stated this is a fact/ Newer units scramble the signal from the remote and make it harder to get in. I would not have an auto opener unless I or the wife was impaired and un-able to lift the door. Just another way to breach the house.

If you sleep so deeply that the over head opening in the middle of the night does not disturb you.....Just saying

Gibster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Boone County
    Years ago I walked out to go to class one morning to find my car on blocks under the carport next to our detached garage. All four wheels were gone. I felt terribly violated even though my personal space hadn't been compromised.

Keep your chin up as they say. Pickup a security cam while shopping for a new TV. These guys sometimes come back after the victim has had time to buy new stuff.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

This 100%.

I think some other responses here need a mindset check. :n00b:

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Loud audible alarms are a great deterrent as well as dogs.

To better your chances of catching the criminals get some cameras around your house, ensure you have all of your serial numbers written down in a safe place, and keep your house and windows clean (increases the ability for prints).

My car was broken into twice in my driveway. First time shame on them, second time shame on me. Get cameras. In todays technology world, decent cameras are not nearly as expensive as they used to be. While yes they don't stop the burglary from happening, they increase the likelihood of catching the criminal later.

If they kicked the door, I highly recommend replacing your door frame with a metal one or at least beef it up so that it is more resistant. There are plenty of kits at any major hardware store to help with this.

A wise detective told me once to put a $20 bill inside a clean glass and leave it in your entry way. When the criminal grabs it, you increase your odds that they will leave behind some good prints on the glass.

Strongcrow you have had a rough couple of years (theft wise), hopefully it gets better for you.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    A wise detective told me once to put a $20 bill inside a clean glass and leave it in your entry way. When the criminal grabs it, you increase your odds that they will leave behind some good prints on the glass.

+1 to that. It helped catch the guys who broke into my house. I have several print "traps" as well as cameras.

If or when they get caught...Go to court. It'll suck as the defense will try and tell you that their fingerprints on YOUR tv are there because they were shopping at best buy before you bought it (true story). They'll also bring up that you never face to face told them specifically that you didn't want them in your house...

I was lucky, i got most of my stuff back. I just got a call today that there is a civil judgement against them to pay me back my $1000 deductible for my insurance. There is a check waiting for me for $600. YAY.

Reference the burglaries. I know IMPD is trying their damnedest, but i have heard a few stories from a few officers about them locking a guy for burglary, then locking him up again for burglary 4 hours later.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom