• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have an Old Rugged Holster's leather holster for a BBQ Revolver.

Everything else is thermoplastic; Raven Concealment Systems, Henry Holsters (not kydex, but boltaron), and a G|Code INCOG AWIB.

I generally don't carry leather because I much prefer thermoplastic.

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    Kydex. I invested in equipment and materials to form my own Kydex. Now I make all my own holsters and have made some for family/freinds.

Dkamm23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2015
    Osceola
    i cant stand that when i use my galco king tuk it makes so much noise because its not broken in yet which stops me from wearing it to break it in, its a vicious cycle

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    i cant stand that when i use my galco king tuk it makes so much noise because its not broken in yet which stops me from wearing it to break it in, its a vicious cycle

Mine is well broken in. I don't remember it ever making any noise, but it certainly does not now. I'll check and see if the Crossbreed mini tuck I have coming for my Glock 43 makes any noise.

If you are concerned with anyone else hearing/seeing anything, rest assured, 99.5% of the population is oblivious to anything related to concealed carry. If it is just bothering you, it should go away if it is the leather squeaking. If it is one of the clips moving around, those can/should be tightened.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Leather for me only, Galco, DeSantis and Mika are what I use. I have found that the Kydex and other plastic holsters wear off the finish on my guns faster. I tried them and prefer leather.

Dkamm23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2015
    Osceola
    ill try to tighten the clips if thats the problem but is there anything i can use to break the leather in better or faster?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    For carry I am all in for the Raven Concealment System's Phantom. They are not cheap but they have an unconditional lifetime warranty and they are a top-notch company. I have 4 Phantoms for different pistols and I carry using one every day.

For competition, and carry if I didn't already love my Phantom, would be holsters from Comp-Tac. Another top notch company that supports all manner of shooting sports. Nearly everyone I compete with uses the Comp-Tac International and their mag carriers, myself included. I can't recommend a holster company more than Comp-Tac or Raven.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I only use plastic (kydex, Boltaron,and injection molded plastic), but only from 3 companies, depending on use.
    For duty belt/battle belt use I like the GCode soc. Ability to use with or without a light and change lights later, along with the quick mounting options, it's hands down the best for that IMO.
    For IWB (strictly AIWB for me) it is a toss up between Henry Holsters and Raven Concealment Systems. Both have outstanding options for appendix and the only thing that is the deciding factor most times is the model availability (and light compatibility).
    For owb, I like the Raven Phantom, however Henry Holsters has upped their game and their OWB pancake style are extremely consistent.

i like to have options, but most days it is AIWB in either the Henry or the Raven

Dkamm23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2015
    Osceola
    what are the benefits of the raven and what kind of price are you looking st compared to other holsters? why do you prefer AIWB as well?

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    what are the benefits of the raven and what kind of price are you looking st compared to other holsters? why do you prefer AIWB as well?

I make holsters so I'm a little biased but IMO all your paying for is the name. Don't get me wrong, raven makes great stuff but it comes at a hefty premium. They were the first ones to mass produce thermofored kydex holsters and have built a brand around that. They're just starting to get into the injection molded field and have produced some really innovative stuff from that but when it comes to kydex and boltaron, there really isn't much that sets there stuff apart from the other small companies. There are a lot of smaller, local people that make just as nice products for much, much less.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am a metal handgun in leather type guy. Galco for most, Kramer for concealment. I have bought a Couple of Mitch Rosen holsters for full size pistols that have been very nicely manufactured.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I appendix carry probably 90% of the time. It's comfy for me and it's easy to conceal. You don't have to worry about printing when bending over. Plus most people don't pay attention to "that" area of your body. It's a very quick draw. Same reason I carry most of my tools on my duty belt in the front, thats where my hands are most of the time.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    IMO all your paying for is the name. ... but when it comes to kydex and boltaron, there really isn't much that sets there stuff apart from the other small companies. There are a lot of smaller, local people that make just as nice products for much, much less.

This is so far from the truth, and as you mentioned, you are biased. I have used kydex/Boltaron/plastic holsters from probably 15 manufacturers and if I covered any markings and gave them to experienced shooters to try, they would probably be able to put them in order by price without knowing anything about who made them. The quality is different in the higher end companies. The time and resources they spend to perfect their work shows up in their cost.
    I had a OWB holster by another manufacturer that did not have adjustable retention (usually how I prefer my holsters) but somehow the retention was different on each draw. If you canted the gun even the tiniest bit it would change the feel of the draw. This holster looked great and had nice clean lines and finished edges and good belt loops, but the design was not perfected. Experience (in both making and using holsters) helps manufacturers perfect their craft. A perfected product costs more to recoup the expense. Other companies (usually with less experience) need to keep their prices down so they can take a small portion of the market share.
    Use some of the highest quality holsters out there and compare them to the less expensive ones and there is absolutely more innovation and quality in the higher end brands.

Side note: I have not used a holster by hpclayto, I am not in any way saying that his holsters fall into any particular category. I purposefully left names out of this post.
    fourguysguns recently made a video that said almost the same thing hpclayto said and I know for a fact that there were some holster companies that took great offense to that statement because they take pride in working hard to use new technology to develop new and innovative holsters.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    This is so far from the truth, and as you mentioned, you are biased. I have used kydex/Boltaron/plastic holsters from probably 15 manufacturers and if I covered any markings and gave them to experienced shooters to try, they would probably be able to put them in order by price without knowing anything about who made them. The quality is different in the higher end companies. The time and resources they spend to perfect their work shows up in their cost.
    I had a OWB holster by another manufacturer that did not have adjustable retention (usually how I prefer my holsters) but somehow the retention was different on each draw. If you canted the gun even the tiniest bit it would change the feel of the draw. This holster looked great and had nice clean lines and finished edges and good belt loops, but the design was not perfected. Experience (in both making and using holsters) helps manufacturers perfect their craft. A perfected product costs more to recoup the expense. Other companies (usually with less experience) need to keep their prices down so they can take a small portion of the market share.
    Use some of the highest quality holsters out there and compare them to the less expensive ones and there is absolutely more innovation and quality in the higher end brands.

Side note: I have not used a holster by hpclayto, I am not in any way saying that his holsters fall into any particular category. I purposefully left names out of this post.
    fourguysguns recently made a video that said almost the same thing hpclayto said and I know for a fact that there were some holster companies that took great offense to that statement because they take pride in working hard to use new technology to develop new and innovative holsters.

I said in my opinion and you're certainly entitled to yours. I've also used several different holsters over the years and I'll agree that they're not all equal. If we were having this conversation a couple of years ago then I'd probably agree with you. The thermoforming industry has exploded in the last couple years. It used to be a craft to mock up a blue or real gun to get fitment and retention just right and each holster was truly "custom." With the prefabbed molds available now as well as all of the different high quality injection molded loops and accessories, that are now available to everyone, it's taken a lot of the difficulty out of the process. Nowadays you can get the same consistent holster everytime you put it in the press or the vac former. I'm not saying they don't make a good product, because they do. I've still got a few that I bought years ago. I'm just saying that it's not worth the $100 price tag for the few bucks worth of materials in comparison to all of the numerous different companies out there now. They're new injection molded stuff is a different story because it can do a lot of things that kydex and boltaron can't do. I'm pretty tempted to try out an Eidolon.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Hpclayto makes a fantastic holster...I had a Raven and would never pay for one again now that I have one of his...Heck of a holster.
    Granted I am carrying a relatively small gun but it isnt lightweight and I cant tell that its there with a decent belt.

Im a die hard leather guy, but for Kydex you cant beat Hpclayto's stuff....as far as my experience with kydex goes.(Galco, Raven, Safariland, Aliengear)....Not saying that these companies make bad products either... I just prefer the quality, feel, price, and LOCAL support from him.

God bless
    -Shred

mashtatatoz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Hancock County
    They aren't local, but i have a Phlster Acces for my FS M&P and a Zorn Skinny Rig for my shield. I'm very impressed with both holsters. I have Aliengears for both as well, but just prefer AIWB now.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    They aren't local, but i have a Phlster Acces for my FS M&P and a Zorn Skinny Rig for my shield. I'm very impressed with both holsters. I have Aliengears for both as well, but just prefer AIWB now.

Phlster makes some awesome gear and has done a ton to help out the diy kydex community. I used to rock a skeleton when I carried my G19.

Top Bottom