• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I've narrowed down a possible RDS to a Holosun 407k or 507k. They seem to be about the best option and not too bulky to throw on a Hellcat (407c/507c seem huge in comparison).

407k has the 6 MOA dot, whereas the 507k as the 2 MOA dot and the 32 MOA Ring. 2 MOA seems like it may be a bit small and hard to find quickly...not sure if the ring would make it to busy? This will be on my EDC, not a competition piece.

Pro/con on the red vs green dot? Is it just a personal preference or is one better than the other?

1721253273025.png

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Yeah it's basically red or green, dot or reticle.

I have some moderate astigmatism. Holosun circle dots look better to my eyes subjectively. Haven't dabbled in the green dot yet.

I'm a convert of the Vulcan reticle with the cheater ring. I think there's a k option for it. Indispensable if you don't have cowitnessed sights, can probably skip it if you're using sights to walk in the dot.

For me the price to get the circle dot is worth it, large dots just turn into big ol starburst jelly beans for me.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Are you going to carry this? Both of these are great dots but also open emitter. Dust, lint, etc can gather in the emitter. For carry I chose the holosun eps carry. Same footprint and same options on reticle depending on which you choose, but closed emitter.

The multi reticle system is nice and the circle helps guide the dot very well. The 6 MOA dot by itself is nice and quick as well, but can be a bit more difficult if you like to punch small groups on paper. For steel both are pretty good.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    While I feel the whole open emitter/closed emitter debate is overblown in a vast majority of circumstances if you regularly check your carry firearm the way you should, I agree that an EPS Carry is a better option if you can afford it, if only because it’s one less thing to do keeping the lens and emitter clear when they take care of themselves lol. That being said, if your budget doesn’t allow those, a 407k/507k will serve you well if you blow the emitter out with duster gas and wipe the lens occasionally.

As to which is better, it’s all preference. Ark says bigger dots just make bigger blobs to him. For me, I generally find a bigger dot tends to spread out less, so I run 6-6.5MOA dots on most things. I can use a 2-3.25MOA dot just fine, but it’s not a clear aiming point. For the VAST majority of my shooting needs, that’s actually fine. Shooting at speed for a competition or under stress defensively, a blurry dot will work as well as anything else. But it’s an aesthetics thing, and I just like a crisper dot.

Red vs green is also preference. Out here where a lot of stuff is naturally green, I’d prefer red as it contrasts better with vegetation and uses less battery power overall. Green does seem to give me a dot/reticle that’s a tiny bit clearer, and it “pops” better because it seems brighter, but they usually tend to use batteries up faster.

And in my case, I found a 2MOA dot with 32MOA circle to be too much clutter and was distracting. I wanted to look at the reticle more than the target with that setup, so then I had to choose between the straight dot (too small for my liking) and the straight circle (too big). With enough training either would work, but when my preferred option is available, why fight against it?

Try to visit a shop or range where you can try them all out, or if you can afford it, buy an example of each used and then sell what you don’t want when you’re done.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Try to visit a shop or range where you can try them all out, or if you can afford it, buy an example of each used and then sell what you don’t want when you’re done.
    Indy Arms, Range USA, and even Academy and Cabela's have some Holosuns, Trijicons, and chinesium dots as display models now. The best thing to do is make a little list and find somewhere to go do an eye check on a few optics. They're just so subjective to individual people's eyes.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    All good call outs.

I didn't realize Academy or Cabela's would have them out on display so I could look through them side by side.

I did some YouTubing and it's pretty interesting how the red or green will pop (or fade out) depending on the background. I have red dots on a few long guns but haven't experienced that.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Agree with whats been said. My first MRDS was a 407k with 6 moa dot (currently on my P365). Works well in a cc gun. I have a slight bit of green color blindness so I stick to red. That said I have since bought a 507k (on SP-01 tactical), eps carry MRS (Rami B) and most recently a 507comp (P10c) on my nightstand/action shooting pistol and find I really like the dot circle. Will likely be replacing the 407k with an EPS carry when funds and priorities align. One thing I have been working on is to become more target focused and not as much sight focused. Have even tried covering the dot to work on that. I think it is helping me in the timed drills.

I believe Tim’s in Westfield may have a rental or 2 with a holosun dot but call to check (I will be there tomorrow and can report back for sure). Also, if you are close enough and bring some ammo I would meet up at Tim’s and let you look through and shoot a pistol or 2 of mine. They are all red :cool:

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Shooting target focus, combined with my astigmatism, the reticle is basically a blob for me anyway. As such, the 407 works just fine, and it costs less. 2 moa or 6 moa, doesn't matter on a carry gun...I can stack rounds with either at 7 yards, and still make a-zone hits at 25. And the bigger, brighter dot is easier to pick up in a variety of conditions.

My Ruger MkIV bullseye setup is wearing a 2moa 407C, as the finer aiming point is important in that application.

DD15CBUS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 16, 2024
    Columbus
    I have both, and various other dots:
    Similarities: same footprint, same bombproof warranty from Holosun (they don't advertise it)
    407 is going to be a big dot, no multi reticle, good dot on the cheaper end.
    507 is going to be MRS (You can choose the 32 moa on its own, 2moa on its own, or combine). I like the combined, as it lets you easily pick up the dot. The 2MOA is a good size IMO.
    Red vs. Green - is usually personal. I prefer green, it works better for my eyes. However, my wife can't see it well at all. I can see red decently it just scatters a little, but my wife can see it well, so I tend to go that route if its something we will both shoot.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    While I feel the whole open emitter/closed emitter debate is overblown in a vast majority of circumstances if you regularly check your carry firearm the way you should, I agree that an EPS Carry is a better option if you can afford it, if only because it’s one less thing to do keeping the lens and emitter clear when they take care of themselves lol. That being said, if your budget doesn’t allow those, a 407k/507k will serve you well if you blow the emitter out with duster gas and wipe the lens occasionally.
    I would have said similar at one point, but the amount of lint and dust that I somehow seem to generate and deposit on my gun is completely crazy. It would be my luck that some amount of that would find it's way ito the emitter opening just when I might need it most. I do clean my EDC periodically largely to get the lint off of it, etc. I check every morning when I take my EDC from the night stand that I can see the dot, but I don't want to take the chance that some dust/lint isn't finding it's way into the emitter opening.

Hell I have to clean out the charging port in my phone (I use cordless charging thankfully) and pull the dust bunnies out of it on a regular on the off chance that I need to try and charge it with a cable.

That said, I have 407k's on a couple of range guns and a 507C with the MRS on another range gun and all seem great. I think you will do fine with either reticle system, but as others have said go look through a few, though it will be tough to judge in a store. You may just have to decide and then shoot the heck out of it and see how you like it.

DD15CBUS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 16, 2024
    Columbus
    I would have said similar at one point, but the amount of lint and dust that I somehow seem to generate and deposit on my gun is completely crazy. It would be my luck that some amount of that would find it's way ito the emitter opening just when I might need it most. I do clean my EDC periodically largely to get the lint off of it, etc. I check every morning when I take my EDC from the night stand that I can see the dot, but I don't want to take the chance that some dust/lint isn't finding it's way into the emitter opening.

Hell I have to clean out the charging port in my phone (I use cordless charging thankfully) and pull the dust bunnies out of it on a regular on the off chance that I need to try and charge it with a cable.
    EPS exists for OP for just this reason. I do agree, closed emitter is nice for that peace of mind, I periodically clean the optic on my EDC along with downloading and doing a thorough clean of the firearm. Its amazing how much lint accumulates. Also we have multiple dogs, and dog hair loves to find its way onto everything it shouldn't

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    EPS exists for OP for just this reason. I do agree, closed emitter is nice for that peace of mind, I periodically clean the optic on my EDC along with downloading and doing a thorough clean of the firearm. Its amazing how much lint accumulates. Also we have multiple dogs, and dog hair loves to find its way onto everything it shouldn't
    Exactly. That's why I recommended the EPS carry in my previous post. Was following up in the comment by someone else that open vs closed emitter is over blown.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Exactly. That's why I recommended the EPS carry in my previous post. Was following up in the comment by someone else that open vs closed emitter is over blown.
    With the amount of lint I see after carrying IWB a few days (before blowing it off), I can only imagine how much would build up on the inside of the 407s glass. It'd likely just blow right off, but I'll definitely look at the EPS carry.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    With the amount of lint I see after carrying IWB a few days (before blowing it off), I can only imagine how much would build up on the inside of the 407s glass. It'd likely just blow right off, but I'll definitely look at the EPS carry.
    And it's not just the glass. There is an emitter opening in the rear of the sight that projects the reticle onto the glass. It can trap lint and dust, which can obstruct the reticle being projected.

DD15CBUS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 16, 2024
    Columbus
    If you aren't dead set on holosun, sig is releasing their Romeo X line in closed emitter, but honestly I think id rather the holosun EPS because of multi reticle and red/green options.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I've narrowed down a possible RDS to a Holosun 407k or 507k. They seem to be about the best option and not too bulky to throw on a Hellcat (407c/507c seem huge in comparison).

407k has the 6 MOA dot, whereas the 507k as the 2 MOA dot and the 32 MOA Ring. 2 MOA seems like it may be a bit small and hard to find quickly...not sure if the ring would make it to busy? This will be on my EDC, not a competition piece.

Pro/con on the red vs green dot? Is it just a personal preference or is one better than the other?

View attachment 366752
    My personal preference is 507k and red dot. Green costs more and I see the red more clearly. I have an EPS on another gun. I carry every day and the dust is not a big deal, at least for me. I just blow it out every two or three days and clean the lens every two or three weeks.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    If you are inclined to travel to Westfield, Tim’s has 4 rental pistols with Holosun RDS, 2 with open and 2 with closed emitters. Did not check to see which models but should be enough to give you the idea.
    Thanks!

I'll likely swing by Range USA this weekend as they have 7-8 different ones out on the showroom floor, which will give me a chance to see if I like the big dot, small dot, or ring better.

I'll see which one (or two) I like best and then buy from Amazon, install them, and try them out.

DD15CBUS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 16, 2024
    Columbus
    Thanks!

I'll likely swing by Range USA this weekend as they have 7-8 different ones out on the showroom floor, which will give me a chance to see if I like the big dot, small dot, or ring better.

I'll see which one (or two) I like best and then buy from Amazon, install them, and try them out.
    Just a heads up, if you aren't a member, their rental policy has changed to a charge PER firarm.
    I am thinking through the inventory at my local one, and I don't know if they have any EPS or K on a rental, mostly just C on a few options, but between some to test and display models you likely could get a decent idea
    BTW: I'd avoid amazon for optics, too many counterfeit's that are harder to weed out. SimmonsSportingGoods or Ibex are great online resources, and price match etc. I'd start with those two

Last edited:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Just a heads up, if you aren't a member, their rental policy has changed to a charge PER firarm.
    I am thinking through the inventory at my local one, and I don't know if they have any EPS or, mostly just 507 on a few options, but between some to test and display models you likely could get a decent idea.
    Not going to rent, just look at the dots. I'll be near their Carmel location tomorrow and they said they have 7-8 out. I'll also be at Top Guns next week, so I can try there. Worst case I'll just order a handful off Amazon (but trying to avoid spending a grand and returning most of them).
    BTW: I'd avoid amazon for optics, too many counterfits that are harder to weed out. SimmonsSportingGoods or Ibex are great online resources, and price match etc. I'd start with those two
    I appreciate it, but it's hard to beat Amazon's return policy (until I decide on the exact model). Counterfeits have been an issue with many different items at Amazon for a while now.

Top Bottom