• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I need a little help from the INGO gun community. I'm looking to purchase a halo style sight for my AR. I have been looking at EOTech and ACOG (Trijicon) brands and I'm leaning towards these two manufactures but there are so many different models by both manufactures that it confuses this dumb old knife guy.:D I'm not looking for something for long distance, so I don't think I'll need a magnifier. My set up will be for 150 yards or less and more than likely less than 100 yards. I'm looking for a quick target acquisition type sight. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. :yesway:

I just realized this should have been posted in the "Accessories and Gear" forum. Please move if necessary.

Last edited:

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I'm also interested to see which models will be recommended by the people who can afford these sights, because I don't have enough money to have used any of them :):

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I think you should put a holo on your knife! :D

Seriously though, I've had a BSA red dot for years and it's time to get serious. So I'm looking forward to user's advice as well.

Last edited:

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I have an Eotech 512 and a 556...

My 512 is basically new but I ended up upgrading to the 556 because I needed to gain back a little bit a rail real estate. Both are excellent.

Biggest differences between these two models is:

512 uses 2 AA batteries and is larger. Doesn't support night vision. Buttons are on the back.

566 uses 2 CR123A batteries and is about an inch shorter. Supports night vision. Buttons are on the side for more convenient use with a magnifier.

Outside of the above differences, everything else is the same.

If you're interested in a 512 I may be willing to part with mine. Just PM me.

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    If you are spending the money go with a Aimpoint T1 Micor 2moa. They are fantastic. I have used an Eotech with the 65MOA ring and i believe it is a 6moa dot in the middle. At 100 + yrds, the dot completely covers the target, The Acogs are cool, but if they have fixed magnification, it can suck for up close (like some 3 gun stages). I have the Vortex Sparc and my brother in law has the T1. If I were a cop or military, Aimpoint is tried and tested. But for the weekend shooter, you can't beat the quality of Vortex.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Miketodd,

Actually the Eotech have a 65MOA ring with a 1MOA dot. That's the standard across their entire product lineup.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I have had both, and find the simple red dot more natural and easier to quickly aim. If you have any astigmatism an Eotech can be problematic, because it looks blurry already without any focus delay problems.

I use Aimpoint. And I don't think that there are a lot of brands to choose from. At the < $500 range, you really only have Aimpoint and Eoetch producing weather proof, detachable, quality innovative optics. There are only two decent Aimpoint clones, and no Eotech clones. Everything else is junk IMO.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Leapers UTG Gen 4 Red/Green Dot Sight Integral Mounting Deck

Put one of these on a gsg just to see if i liked it. It's held true, easy to sight in, and for the price.... I just can't see spending big money on a red dot

I'm a firm believer in spending the most you can afford for optics. All of my hunting shotguns and rifles have Leupold and Swarovski scopes on them. I don't think I would be getting that quality with a UTG product. :twocents:

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Brandknives,

You're going into this with the same mindset that I did.... In my way of thinking the optics and barrel are the most important parts of any weapon as far as accuracy.

FWIW, I have an astigmatism and wear glasses and have never had a problem with any of the Red Dot or Holographic sites. The main reason I went for Eotech over Aimpoint in my purchases was because the Eotech have the smallest 'dot' - Aimpoint are much larger. Plus, their entirely made here in the US (Michigan). Aimpoint are made somewhere in Europe - there was a thing on the Sportsmans channel a couple a weeks about them and their production process.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    I have had both, and find the simple red dot more natural and easier to quickly aim. If you have any astigmatism an Eotech can be problematic, because it looks blurry already without any focus delay problems.

I use Aimpoint. And I don't think that there are a lot of brands to choose from. At the < $500 range, you really only have Aimpoint and Eoetch producing weather proof, detachable, quality innovative optics. There are only two decent Aimpoint clones, and no Eotech clones. Everything else is junk IMO.

< 500 $ range?

with no magnification, how can anyone spend over 500$?

I'd be sick to my stomach spending that much on something that does little more than you can already do with irons..

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    lizardking,

The Eotech 512's are around $450 with taxes/shipping. My 556 (since it supports night vision) was higher (around $600).

I agree that the sticker shock can be a little much. However, after having use my 556 with my magnifier, I'd never go back to a traditional scope or iron sights again - the accuracy and repeatability shot-to-shot - is almost unbelieveable.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    I guess I've just never had the chance to use one of quality, must be one of those things I'd have to see to believe. Any shop's out there that will let you try before you buy with optics? Midwest maybe?

I look at red dots the same way i look at hdmi cables.

Yeah you can pay more for a monster cable over the cheap chinese ones, but they do the same thing. Not much going on inside one of those that can justify my spending extra.

What's the value add? They show a red dot on a piece of glass, no magnification so no clarity problems. If the 30$ model does the job, and hasn't failed me in the past year getting a fair amount of abuse. What is going to be different when I drop 500$ for a name brand?

Last edited:

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    After reading here, I ordered 2 EOTECH 512's. One for me, and one for the shop. We will be selling them for [STRIKE]$399.99[/STRIKE], er... uh.... $499.99! :D I hope to do a AAR here in a week or two.

No... they will be $399.99!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Now Enter Vette...

I'm comming:D

Brad have you considered a quality 1-4? The limiting factor for the eotech is the 1x, the limiting factor on the acog is the 4x. A quality 1-4 will have true parallax free 1x on the botttom that you shoot with both eyes open but has the ability to go to 4x for longer range shooting

Give me a call if you have questions 765-580-0986

j.swartz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    South Bend
    I shot with a buddies Aimpoit Micro T1 and it was amazing. I personally am not a big fan of EOtechs because I don't like how fuzzy it looks but they are no doubt amazing for fast target aquisition. Hope this and all the other responses help you decide.

thoroughbred

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    My houseboat on Lake Michigan
    Ill throw a vote in there for aimpoint, with any of their models you really cant go wrong. I think they beat out everything else if you only plan on shooting within 150 yds. Just as fast as an eotech for the close up with out the blur. The 1-4 vortex scopes are nice too!

Top Bottom