• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Anything that'll take whitetail will cleanly take a hog. Since they tend to bunch up together, a semi-auto might be preferable.

Now, the $1000 question is... you have wild hogs in Indiana? Where? Want help? :D

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    12 guage slug. If your slow and quiet you can stalk with in 20' of them.

Just to make it interesting:)

280 in the head works too.

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    BOWIE KNIFE!!! thats my goal anyway:D

as far as gun size, just about anything will. hell they have been taken with air rifles!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Whats the weapon of choice to eliminate wild hogs.

Hogs are pretty easy to kill. A simple 223 with appropriate bullets is a very common choice. But then again so are big bore guns. A banker I know hunts them down south with handguns, 357 and 44 mag. A couple good old boys I know in Texas use AR15s with hunting ammo.

A monster hog might be a bit of a different story, but most of the wild pigs running around the south are not monster size, most are fairly modest and easy to take down.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I hunt them quite often in Texas (my home state) matter of fact heading down over Memorial Day weekend. We all use a caliber somewhere between a .257 Roberts to a .444 Marlin with most of us settling on a good .30 caliber round.

I shoot a .308 with Barnes Triple X bullets and drop them in their tracks. My bro' uses a 30-06 and does the same with the same bullet.

I can't agree they are easy to kill. They do eventually die, but they don't go easy. I've spent too much time going into greenbriar trying to drag one out. You have two real places to shoot them. Heart shot (and it's not where a deer's is) or head shot. All other locations will result in you tracking your hog down.

Example: I hit a 310 lbs. Boar in the neck with a .444 using a Hornady .265 gr. flat point soft nose. He dropped... I thought he was dead and just sat in my stand for a while. As I started to climb down and he heard me he started to get up. I had to hit him two more times before he gave up. Autopsy revealed my first shot went through neck muscle and the shock wave caused him to pass out due to the spine being affected. 2nd shot hit him in the chest, and 3rd shot was in the head.

So you can hunt them with dang near anything, but just be prepared to go after them if you are using a bow, air gun, .223 or whatever (and in many cases we never find them because they don't bleed out like a deer... their grizzle plate seals up under the skin).

They are great tasting when prepared accordingly. I've got two hams in the freezer right now, and two nice loins.

That's my $.02 worth of caliber info on hog hunting!

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    300 Win Mag is the one I like, but the AR in .223 is fun too.
    They tend not to run very far after the 300 Win Mag makes good contact.

+1 for the Win Mag!

I'm considering taking my Thompson Encore down and see how a .50 bullet backed by 150 grains of 777 will do!

Top Bottom