• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    My dad goes down to TX every year and takes his 6.5 Remington Mag. He used to go to the Doube T ranch, but it has sold and is now the Record Buck Ranch. His longest shot was 612 yards....or so he says!!

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    As far as which round I'd say it's dealer's choice. .308 sound like what you want but I have a soft spot for the 6.5mms, e.g. the 6.5X.284 is really cool.

However, I am told that optics make all the difference. The pigs are smart and only come out when we cannot see well. Get good glass.

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    I go to Oklahoma every year . haved killed them with a .270 , 10 mm glock , .458 socom . 1 guy used a knife with the help of dogs . just depends on where you hit them .

Reaper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Fishers, IN
    I grew up in Florida huntin them in the everglades. We used 30/30's, 30-06, .44's, bows, 12 guage,... It all depends on how your hunting them. What is the expected distance? Up close and personal, nothing beats the .44mag in my opinion. short distance but not too close, i love the 30/30. if you need to reach out with a little distance, your choice on long rifle.

The most important factos is shot placement. The larger more exotics have thick bones plates covering their neck and ribs. I've seen a guy hit on that was charging 4 times between the eyes and it didn't flinch. That one ended up weighing 470lb.

Enjoy the hunting and shoot well!

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Most hunters that "knife" hogs use dogs to catch and hold them.

There was a show on the Discovery channel (or I think it was Discovery) about this. The show is called "Hogs gone wild". It was neat to see those trained dogs. Most of the time they just held the pig down and wire tied up its legs and hauled them off live, the big nasty ones they stabbed.

reload4ever

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    My best friend and I are goin to "Bangs Hunt Club" in SouthCarolina in June of this year to hunt hogs. I'm takin my Raging Bull in 454 casull and am hopin to bring back the Bacon.:)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I just moved here from Texas just south and a little east of Dallas. Those hogs are out of countrol and cause a lot of damage. A hand gun WILL NOT protect you from a hog unless it is a big bore magnum. We were in a ravine with a hog and 7 or 8 hits from a 9mm did not even slow him down. A 30-06 did the job. Do not underestimate how fast they are or how far they can run. I have a 35 inch inseam and I could not out run one without a pick up bed to jump up in, he would have got me. Guys that try to use 5.56 nato wound a lot that probably die later, but the .308 and .30-06 drops their anchor pretty quick I liked the 7mm Rem Express with heavy bullets, but that is what I had. I am not sure I would use anything lighter unless that is all I had. Make sure it is a hunting bullet for big game, not a quick expansion soft little bullet for white tails.

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    I took two hogs down in Georgia with a Mosin Nagant 91/30 with 200gr s&b about five years ago.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    South Bend
    You may want to consider a Remington 870 Express. A big piece of metal comes out the end and is pretty accurate at 100 yards. If you want a rifle I'd use at least a 30-06. You can get ammo anywhere. The last thing you want to do is make the thing mad. One shot; one kill. Sidearm a good idea, just in case.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    The plan is to go hoggin' (for lack of better terms) with my dad in central TX this spring. Currently I am without a sufficient rifle. I was hoping to get some suggestions on what I should be looking to get.

From what I've read, a good caliber range 207, 308 or 30-06. I'm not limiting myself but would like a round that is readily available to buy and eventually reload... I've been looking at the Browning BAR's.

Thoughts?

This is just my anecdotal observation from killing 4 of these and watching a lot more killed but anything that will take a deer at 100 yards will cleanly take a hog. I know people use some small calibers for deer at close range and I personally wouldn't on hogs, which is why I stipulate that 100 yard range. People have a tendency to overdramatize the "invincibility" of wild boars but it's more due to improper shot placement. A .357 with the right bullet will do the job and everything you're listed is far more powerful than a .357.

Top Bottom