• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The no outbuildings rule should exempt small storage sheds. Keeping gasoline in an attached garage is asking for trouble, especially if your furnace or water heater is out there too.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    My suggestion at least worked within the rules of the HOA.....geez. Tough crowd around here lately...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My BIL bought in a tightly well ran HOA area. Great house but the rules prevented him from having his boat and camper on site. He was well into the process when this came to his attention. He went to great expense in the middle of everything to expand the attached garage into his build. He had enough space to back his 19' oat and tag along camper into the garage. Cost a butt load but he worked around the rules.
    This made his house worth a lot more when he sold it to escape the HOA nosy walk around and control your life neighbors. They made him nuts.
    He lives on 5 acres now and no HOA.
    If you move into one of these areas just read all the rules before you sign. Up and down sides to HOA's

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Wait...why are some of you criticizing the OP's decision to live in an HOA and his complying with the rules? He didn't ask about that. I personally would not want to live in one, for the exact reasons some of you stated, but as long as the OP was aware of the rules when he bought the property, what's wrong with it? To those of you acting all bad-azz: :rolleyes:
    Our neighborhood has some kinda junky properties, but I prefer that to being part of a HOA. Our house is the nicest one on the block, by far. Some of the properties make my husband upset, if you are that type, then maybe an HOA is for you. I just try not to look at the mess. I don't complain about them, hopefully they won't complain about our 3 rowdy dogs, chain-link fence, and my organic veggie gardens.

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    My BIL bought in a tightly well ran HOA area. Great house but the rules prevented him from having his boat and camper on site. He was well into the process when this came to his attention. He went to great expense in the middle of everything to expand the attached garage into his build. He had enough space to back his 19' oat and tag along camper into the garage. Cost a butt load but he worked around the rules.
    This made his house worth a lot more when he sold it to escape the HOA nosy walk around and control your life neighbors. They made him nuts.
    He lives on 5 acres now and no HOA.
    If you move into one of these areas just read all the rules before you sign. Up and down sides to HOA's

First time home buyer, limited budget, HOUSE fit my needs, HOA was something I knew I would have to deal with and hopefully work with to amend and expand to my likeing. If not, I will certainly deal with it as I currently do. Just sucks to lose 1 of my car spots in the garage to lawn / snow equiptment. Motorcycles also live in there along with workbench etc, so I'm not needing it for parking, just need the space back for working / bike parking.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Have aspirations of being a dictator or petty tyrant, but don't have the resources or influence to run a country?

Join a homeowner's association.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    First time home buyer, limited budget, HOUSE fit my needs, HOA was something I knew I would have to deal with and hopefully work with to amend and expand to my likeing. If not, I will certainly deal with it as I currently do. Just sucks to lose 1 of my car spots in the garage to lawn / snow equiptment. Motorcycles also live in there along with workbench etc, so I'm not needing it for parking, just need the space back for working / bike parking.

I understand. I was more directing that at the nay-sayer's than you.

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    I understand. I was more directing that at the nay-sayer's than you.

Oh, I know. I knew it was a trade-off. Being a young homeowner I knew what I needed, and what were just wants. I can be happy with the HOA for the next 10-15 years I live here, my next home will have land and no rules. ANd a SHED!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    HOAs....
    I live in one, though I didn't really want to. We were happy w/ the house, wife really wanted to live in town (don't know why, she grew up country), so we found a place on the edge of town. Read the HOA regulations front to back before buying in and MADE THE DECISION I could accept the restrictions (ours is not as restrictive as many).

People focus on what the HOA tells them they cannot do. Few focus on what the HOA can do FOR you. I've seen these first hand. Problems getting a street repaired or storm tile drainage/flooding issue resolved? Have a representative from the HOA contact the city. The city will jump faster knowing it is essentially being contacted by dozens if not hundreds of folks (tax payers) vs one. Have info about vandals or other neighborhood criminals but don't want to talk to the cops for fear of retaliation? Talk to the HOA leadership and have the HOA report the information.

There are upsides in addition to the typical "keep your neighbors hours acceptable" stuff.

-rvb

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Wait...why are some of you criticizing the OP's decision to live in an HOA and his complying with the rules? He didn't ask about that. I personally would not want to live in one, for the exact reasons some of you stated, but as long as the OP was aware of the rules when he bought the property, what's wrong with it? To those of you acting all bad-azz: :rolleyes:
    Our neighborhood has some kinda junky properties, but I prefer that to being part of a HOA. Our house is the nicest one on the block, by far. Some of the properties make my husband upset, if you are that type, then maybe an HOA is for you. I just try not to look at the mess. I don't complain about them, hopefully they won't complain about our 3 rowdy dogs, chain-link fence, and my organic veggie gardens.

:):.......MINE'd be 1 them!.......:):

I kind'a like it, tho......

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Longer term: Run for HOA board... Or board president...

Choose not to enforce the shed thing...

HOAs have been sued for not only action, but inaction as well. If the HOA doesn't act and allows someone to build a junk shed, which is an eyesore to a neighbor, the neighbor could sued the board if they can prove the dump shed is an issue when trying to sell the home.

Top Bottom