• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    When was this round made? How old is it? I was watching some western the other day and found myself wondering if they had .22's back then. I have seen some old .22 shot derringers butI am directly speaking about the .22 long rifle cartridge. Any info would be great. Thanks!

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If you do a Google search with that phrase there is an extensive write up about the history of the .22 long but interesting read...I am not skilled at doing links or I would..:)

WILSON

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Top, left-hand corne
    1887! who knew? not me

I did.

I have a 150-YO Stevens 22. It doesn't say "22 LR", but it'll hold shorts, longs, and LR's. I've always suspected they may have been expecting something longer to come along eventually. It doesn't actually have a chamber per-se; the rifling just starts about 2" from the breech-face.

I've shot it since my my grandfather gave it to me in the 60's, but 22 LR's have become a little risky; it's a break-top pistol and it has developed a sneaky habit of "auto-cocking" the hammer. The only thing I use in it anymore are CB caps... when I can find them (Agulia's .22 LR Super Colibri "no-powder" stuff works great, but it's been kinda scarce & expensiive for a few years now).

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    220cal.

Not sure aboutthe 22 cal.lr, but i know that the winchester mod.1873 was the 1st repeating rifle chambered for the 22 short.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    That sounds like a really neat gun Wilson. I have a Winchester model 67 rifle that was made in 1918. My great grandpa traded some pelts for it and gave it as a gift to my grandpa when he was 7!

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The .22

:ar15:The .22 was the first self contained cartidge made. Smith & Wessons Model 1 shot a 22 short I belive, approx 1845. Not sure when the long & long rifle came along.

Top Bottom