• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    At one point in American history people were allowed/expected to carry with no permit. When did this change and what caused the change to require permits to excercise a "right"?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Did I hear someone call for a history lesson?:D

When did this change and what caused the change to require permits to excercise a "right"?

Almost right off the git go, Colonial Southern America.

Started in the South and what caused it was slavery/racism.

Blacks (African Americans), even if free, could only bear arms with permission. This continued after the Civil War with Jim Crow and the Son of Ham laws.

In Indiana, while concealed carry was prohibited shortly after statehood, excepting travel, the carry license was implemented in 1935 as part of the Uniform Firearm Act (model legislation drafted in a faculty lounge at Yale, IIRC). It was a hold over from the influence of the Klan which still held sway in part of Indiana even after the Stephenson scandal. The license was thought to be a way to control Catholics and Blacks.

The legitimate UFA motivation was to combat "gangsterism" which government caused by implementing Prohibition. Government creates problems and then proposes more problems masked as solutions. Such as it always has been.

Last edited:

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Guessing here but I think late 1800s like 1890s or early 1930s. For some reason those pop out to me. Glad to be of no help haha.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Wikipedia.
    Laws banning the carrying of concealed weapons were passed in Kentucky and Louisiana in 1813, and other states soon followed: Indiana (1820), Tennessee and Virginia (1838), Alabama (1839), and Ohio (1859). Similar laws were passed in Texas, Florida, and Oklahoma.[12]

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Wikipedia.
    Laws banning the carrying of concealed weapons were passed in Kentucky and Louisiana in 1813, and other states soon followed: Indiana (1820), Tennessee and Virginia (1838), Alabama (1839), and Ohio (1859). Similar laws were passed in Texas, Florida, and Oklahoma.[12]
    Open carry was allowed though wasn't it? Not sure who said it, but I think it was someone important:D

Only someone up to no good would conceal carry. Something like that ;)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

Blacks (African Americans), even if free, could only bear arms with permission. This continued after the Civil War with Jim Crow and the Son of Ham laws.

In Indiana, while concealed carry was prohibited shortly after statehood, excepting travel, the carry license was implemented in 1935 as part of the Uniform Firearm Act (model legislation drafted in a faculty lounge at Yale, IIRC). It was a hold over from the influence of the Klan which still held sway in part of Indiana even after the Stephenson scandal. The license was thought to be a way to control Catholics and Blacks.

The legitimate UFA motivation was to combat "gangsterism" which government caused by implementing Prohibition. Government creates problems and then proposes more problems masked as solutions. Such as it always has been.

learn somthing every day.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Open carry was allowed though wasn't it? Not sure who said it, but I think it was someone important:D

Only someone up to no good would conceal carry. Something like that ;)
    I believe you could open carry. This was probably determined more by local athorities. What say Kirk?
    Guess I'm too slow, like usual.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis

Mr. Freeman beat me to it. He has it exactly right. :yesway:

Freedom, must be freedom for all. Not even "undesirables" can be allowed to be chained, or else the government will add links to the chains yard by yard until not only are they enslaved, but also you.

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont

Kirk is our resident historian.

Top Bottom