• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    :draw: Why Johnnie Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave. You got me. That post didn't quite come out right.:dunno::laugh:[/QUOTE
    You know....Johnny Ringo was born in Greensfork, IN....just a few minutes away from me. His story is pretty interesting, I'm currently researching and writing an article on his life.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    [/QUOTE
    You know....Johnny Ringo was born in Greensfork, IN....just a few minutes away from me. His story is pretty interesting, I'm currently researching and writing an article on his life.[/QUOTE]

Now you just gave me something to research. Could you post a link to the article when it's done? That way I don't actually have to do any work. :-)

Last edited:

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    Kirk, you mention that in 1935 the Government passed what we know as the NFA(National Firearms Act).
    This was done to prohibit gangsters like Capone and others from obtaining/possessing true machine guns. It didn't stop the criminals from obtaining their "Tommy Guns" to use in their criminal enterprises.
    We all now know that if a criminal wants to purchase an automatic weapon all he needs is the cash and an illegal source.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    "I'm your Huckleberry" (just had to do it)

History lesson...?

"Well, let's see... First the Earth cooled, and then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came, and they bought Mercedes Benzes, and Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes, I couldn't believe it! He took her best summer dress out of the closet and put it on and went to town....." :D (Just had to do it! @ 0:25~40)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dapalh7BjM

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Kirk, you mention that in 1935 the Government passed what we know as the NFA(National Firearms Act).
    This was done to prohibit gangsters like Capone and others from obtaining/possessing true machine guns. It didn't stop the criminals from obtaining their "Tommy Guns" to use in their criminal enterprises.
    We all now know that if a criminal wants to purchase an automatic weapon all he needs is the cash and an illegal source.
    Compelled to interrupt at this point. There are Federal laws and there are State laws. What Kirk was referring to as having been passed in 1935 is what is codified in Indiana law as IC 35-47-2 (modified several times since). The National Firearms Act of 1934 is a Federal law, though both were drafted and passed within the same time frame, supposedly on the same or similar pretext.

Kirk can clarify and comment further if/when he gets back to us.

(Quote included for easier reference.)

Did I hear someone call for a history lesson?:D

Almost right off the git go, Colonial Southern America.

Started in the South and what caused it was slavery/racism.

Blacks (African Americans), even if free, could only bear arms with permission. This continued after the Civil War with Jim Crow and the Son of Ham laws.

In Indiana, while concealed carry was prohibited shortly after statehood, excepting travel, the carry license was implemented in 1935 as part of the Uniform Firearm Act (model legislation drafted in a faculty lounge at Yale, IIRC). It was a hold over from the influence of the Klan which still held sway in part of Indiana even after the Stephenson scandal. The license was thought to be a way to control Catholics and Blacks.

The legitimate UFA motivation was to combat "gangsterism" which government caused by implementing Prohibition. Government creates problems and then proposes more problems masked as solutions. Such as it always has been.

ETA: One should take note of which political party held (in some cases overwhelming) majorities in the House and Senate on both the Federal and State level, as well as the Executive office. Also, look into what other "movements" were "sweeping the nation" at that time.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

No, I was discussing the UFA, not the NFA of 1934. MTC is correct is that both were passed to combat "gangsterism". Of course the the abolition of Prohibition and the IRS were already killing off gangsterism.

Think of separate railroad tracks--State and Federal.

Indiana passed a variant of the UFA in 1935 which created the LTCH. Before the UFA Hoosiers could carry handguns openly but not concealed unless one was traveling.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Was stopping gangsterism the only reason for most of this or were there other reasons?

Racism is always the underlying reason for gun control. It is just not in the South; gun control to control minority groups happened everywhere. Regardless of whether it is stopping sales to Indians, freed Blacks or slaves, freedmen (Jim Crow and Son of Ham laws), Italians (Big Tim Sullivan's Law in New York City), or Catholics, etc.

Heck, the South was just open and obvious about their racism. Even the Florida Supreme Court admitted it:

The Act was passed for the purpose of disarming the negro laborers and to thereby reduce the unlawful homicides that were prevalent in turpentine and saw-mill camps and to give the white citizens in sparsely settled areas a better feeling of security. The statute was never intended to be applied to the white population.... t is a safe guess to assume that more than 80% of the white men living in the rural sections of Florida have violated this statute.... [T]here has never been, within my knowledge, any effort to enforce the provisions of this statute as to white people, because it has been generally conceded to be in contravention of the Constitution and non-enforceable if contested. Watson v. Stone, 4 So. 2d 700, 703 (Fla. 1941) (emphasis added).

Racism was certainly a factor in Indiana's UFA adoption as now Catholics and Blacks had to seek government permission (governments staffed by people hostile to them) to exercise a right.

You can see the racism inherent in the "assault weapons" bans. The Uzi-toting "gangsta" is the target just as the razor-packing "chicken thief" was the target of the Jim Crow or Son of Ham laws.

Top Bottom