• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    My guess is that the naysayers here posting pictures of bricks have never owned one. My first gun was a hipoint 380 and I loved it. I didn't just love the idea of my first gun, it was a consistent and reliable gun. I never had a FTF or FTE. With the quality of ammo that I put through it I'm convinced that gun would shoot spit balls if you could line them up in the magazine. I sold it to my brother for $100 and have regretted it ever since.

In honesty I wouldn't carry it on my person anymore because I've been "exposed" to guns that carry better. The Hipoints tend to be bulky and wide. If you want something to leave in your glove box, garage, under the front step, etc...this is a great option. This is not a safe queen and nothing to brag about with your friends. This is the gun you reach for when you want to shoot somebody and it's convenient to grab. Best of luck and may you always make sound decisions.

-Dobber

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    My guess is that the naysayers here posting pictures of bricks have never owned one. My first gun was a hipoint 380 and I loved it. I didn't just love the idea of my first gun, it was a consistent and reliable gun. I never had a FTF or FTE. With the quality of ammo that I put through it I'm convinced that gun would shoot spit balls if you could line them up in the magazine. I sold it to my brother for $100 and have regretted it ever since.

In honesty I wouldn't carry it on my person anymore because I've been "exposed" to guns that carry better. The Hipoints tend to be bulky and wide. If you want something to leave in your glove box, garage, under the front step, etc...this is a great option. This is not a safe queen and nothing to brag about with your friends. This is the gun you reach for when you want to shoot somebody and it's convenient to grab. Best of luck and may you always make sound decisions.

-Dobber

Well said!

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I am sure the people saying no to them all own the authentic colts jerseys, because the ones you get at walmart are just ugly and dont work :rolleyes:

I have a carbine and love it. While I agree that they make ugly weapons, they go bang every time, and have GREAT customer service. Now that I mention the carbine, people are going to say that they love the carbine but the handguns are junk. :dunno:

Really the only negative to them is their magazine, they are expensive for not being high capacity.

If anyone is going to use ANY weapon for self-defense then it has to be tested. From my previous conversations with you, I believe that you would already do that. So good luck on your hunt, test it to prove it is worthry, and discover that the hi-point will serve you well.

getem2011

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Lake County
    I have had the chance to shoot a high point and was did not like the feel of it but it did stay on the paper without a problem. For under 200 its hard to beat unless its beat up.

ravenwoodranch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've actually torture tested a 9mm high point, we put close to 2000 rounds through it. Stuck it in mud put sand in the action and so many more evil things. In the end it was still a cheap ass pistol but it was still firing.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Looking for a cheap gun to keep in random places as a back up, what about a hipoint? I will have a trusty EDC on me, but just as a back up, what you guys think.

I'm looking at 9mm full size under $200, better options?

I've been thinking about doing this same thing. A guy I work with and have talked to for 2 years now carries one on a regular basis and has never had a problem with his.

If I do decide to buy one strictly as a stash/back-up, I'm going to thoroughly clean it, lube it, take it to the range and put about 400 rounds through it before I trust it.

I wouldn't be doing this just because it's a hi-point. I do this to any handgun I'm going to trust my life to.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The CZ 82 (9x18) or 83 (9x17) are perfect for this. The 82s are available in the $200 price range and I just bought an 83 for $159 plus shipping.

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    My wife and I's first handguns were HiPoints in the .40 flavor. Personally I can not recommend that version for reliable protection. Naught but problems with it and they have both been sent back for work. I've heard good things about the 9mm and a friend of mine has the .380 and really likes it.

himant

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    i have a hi-point, a really fun gun, it was the ugly duck-ling out of the box,, but fear not, an ATI stock and a vented screw on barrel shroud and wall-aha now it looks very similar to the beretta 9mm carbine and shoots great...

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    i have a hi-point, a really fun gun, it was the ugly duck-ling out of the box,, but fear not, an ATI stock and a vented screw on barrel shroud and wall-aha now it looks very similar to the beretta 9mm carbine and shoots great...

Pretty sure hes looking for a handgun, not a carbine

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    I bought a 9mm back when they were still $80 new. My wife was still hesitant about guns and didn't like shooting a .45.

It never failed to feed, was reasonably accurate, was easy to break down and clean, and had decent sights. Actually, it came with standard sights and a ghost ring sight.

I would not advocate one for carry, though, for two main reasons. The safety is tiny and too difficult to disengage under stress. Magazines don't feed smoothly, the single stack mag well has zero funnel, and just isn't conducive to rapid reloads. That kills it for me for a serious fighting pistol.

HOWEVER if I could only afford a $200 gun, it would be my choice over the other options available at that cost.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I've actually torture tested a 9mm high point, we put close to 2000 rounds through it. Stuck it in mud put sand in the action and so many more evil things. In the end it was still a cheap ass pistol but it was still firing.

Interesting. The guy over on Gun Nuts Media had 38 stoppages in 350 rounds...

The Hi-Point Challenge: Week 2

As with most cheap guns, if you get a good one you're golden. If not, you're hosed. And as the price goes down, the likelihood of getting a bad one goes up.

My :twocents:

osbornk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Marion, Va
    Interesting. The guy over on Gun Nuts Media had 38 stoppages in 350 rounds...

The Hi-Point Challenge: Week 2

As with most cheap guns, if you get a good one you're golden. If not, you're hosed. And as the price goes down, the likelihood of getting a bad one goes up.

My :twocents:

Some if them need minor mag adjustments and polishing of the feed ramp if it is not broken in(shown many times on Youtube). Mine has been fine. It always goes bang and is accurate. I bought reliability and accuracy. Like my wife, it is not a beautiful featherweight but I love them both.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I've got the 9mm C9 and in 3000 rounds the only issue I've ever had was with steel cased ammo not feeding right. Every brand of brass I've put through it was flawless, it's a good accurate shooter, and I've never had to tweak anything on it period . Everyone I know who owns one has had the same results. It's ugly, it's heavy, and it's bulky, but it does what it is supposed to do every time. I have no problem trusting it to do what it is supposed to do if I need it. It is not real conducive to carrying with one in the chamber since it only has a trigger safety and no firing pin block but the slide racks very easily and quickly. Funny people always talk bad about a $200 pistol but don't think anything wrong with a $200 shotgun. No difference IMO, but, haters will hate. That's okay with me though cause I'm not trying to win any popularity contest. Anyone in the Richmond area ever wants to try one for yourself I'll gladly let you. :twocents:

Top Bottom