• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    To me, and I felt that he thought the same thing... that gun is too big for the lower power round you're getting. I don't know why they didn't make it in 9mm. With a gun of that size, there are lots of 9mm options that aren't bad to shoot.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    To me, and I felt that he thought the same thing... that gun is too big for the lower power round you're getting. I don't know why they didn't make it in 9mm. With a gun of that size, there are lots of 9mm options that aren't bad to shoot.

+1 I personally think the XDs in 9mm is a better carry package for the size, JMO

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    They came out with the 380 first because you NEVER start high, and end low.

They come out with the 380, they get the people waiting for a 380, AND some of the people waiting on a 9mm, but are impatient.

THEN, they bring out the 9mm, and they will end up selling two guns to alot of the same people.

Its business.

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    danielson said:

They come out with the 380, they get the people waiting for a 380, AND some of the people waiting on a 9mm, but are impatient.

THEN, they bring out the 9mm, and they will end up selling two guns to alot of the same people.

Its business.

Perhaps it was developed with the European market in mind since some European countries don't allow civilians to own guns that use NATO/military ammo.
    By chambering it for .380, the same model can be sold in more countries. Whereas its global marketability would be limited if it were a 9mm.
    IIRC, European .380 ammo is loaded hotter than American .380 ammo.
    And the civilian caliber restrictions may be similar in South America:

The Thunder 380 is quite popular in many Latin American countries particularly where the .380 Auto cartridge is the largest allowed for civilian use.

Handgun Review - Bersa Thunder 380

Kaiser T said:
    The manufacture (and sale) of .380 ACP pistols has been going up by leaps and bounds vis-a-vis the 9mm, which can be confirmed from the Bureau of ATF Statistics over the past few years. For the year 2010, .380 ACP turns out to be the MOST POPULAR handgun calibre!

2008: .380 ACP - 278,945; 9mm - 421,746
    2009: .380 ACP - 390,897; 9mm - 586,364
    2010: .380 ACP - 665,510; 9mm - 629,995

Ref: Statistics | ATF

The Firing Line Forums - View Single Post - .380 ACP Most Popular Handgun Calibre?

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana

Its business.

You hit it spot on. If they offered it in 9mm and .40 off the bat then they would hardly sell any .380

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    everytime i see a review by good ole hickok45 I get very jealous of his range... anyone else?

After watching my very first Hickok video just a couple months ago, my plan is to start working towards moving out of Marion county somewhere where I can set myself up such a range. It'll probably take a few years, but I WILL get there!

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W

You must not be familiar with Springfields XDs series and the success they have had with coming out with a 45 first and then introducing a 9mm later. Those 45's are gonna sell in much higher numbers than these 380's are.

A 9mm XDs is very hard to find, and will likely be for some time to come. The 45's were impossible to find for a looong time after they were first introduced.

Seems like Springfield knew what they were doing.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I don't know how it compares to most 9mms, but the M&P Shield dwarfs this G42. I shot one this past weekend and it is small. I would think a 9mm in that size and weight would be pretty darn snappy to shoot.

Top Bottom