• gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Did you like it?

I did like it. It is not a high recoil pistol at all, but I still have that curiosity as to whether it is much less than the Shield 9mm. If they are close, I'd rather have the Shield. Though for the CC aspect, the G42 beats the Shield hands down.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    You hit it spot on. If they offered it in 9mm and .40 off the bat then they would hardly sell any .380

Not so sure. Ruger is selling the hell out of LC9's and LC380's, and the 9 came out first. There's a large market for 380's among people who won't go for the 9. In fact, I've read posts on different forums about people who bought the LC9, then swapped out to the .380 when it came out. Why? Lower recoil.

I mostly carry a 9mm, but I remember when I bought my first 9mm all the people telling me it wasn't sufficient, compared to a .40. I shot the 9 much more accurately, and I'm sure some feel that way about the 380.

When I carry my LCP, it has FMJ ammo. I'm not worried about sufficient penetration with that round, if I hit the mark. I doubt I'd be shooting at 25 yards, either. It is as small a caliber as I'd ever want, but I believe it is enough for a personal defense weapon.

Having said all that, I would also like to see it in a 9mm, and then shoot them both and pick the one I'm most accurate with.

Last edited:

45 x 11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    Southwest IN
    Maybe I misinterpreted but as he does tend to be subtle in his criticisms or disinterest, I thought Hickok seemed a little bit lukewarm on the G42. He just didn't seem all that crazy about it, maybe a bit surprising as he does like both Glocks and a lot of smaller guns.

As my girlfriend and I both have carry .380's, I at least want to try one out.. maybe consider it for a backup gun or something like that in a couple years after the verdicts are in and the kinks have been identified and (hopefully)worked out.

...I, too, love Hickok's range. How could you not? :)

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I'm not really sure where the g42 would fit for me. At 6rnds and being larger than the Kahr p380 I think it's a no brainier, the p380 is a much more practical pocket pistol. Being about the same size as shield/XDS but 380 and still only 6 rnds for me more rounds and 9mm a XDS/shield is a better IWB pistol. I think the G42 would have been better as a double stack .380.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm not really sure where the g42 would fit for me. At 6rnds and being larger than the Kahr p380 I think it's a no brainier, the p380 is a much more practical pocket pistol. Being about the same size as shield/XDS but 380 and still only 6 rnds for me more rounds and 9mm a XDS/shield is a better IWB pistol. I think the G42 would have been better as a double stack .380.

If you haven't had the chance yet, pick up the Shield and the G42 together. On "paper" they may seem to be close in size, but when it comes to concealment, the G42 is quite a bit smaller. The Shield is larger and weighs more. I still think I want the Shield but man that G42 disappears IWB. I don't really want to add another caliber so I probably won't buy the .380 but if I get over that aspect, I would buy it right now.

bos-94-003

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Marion
    I think its main flaw is that it's kind of in no mans land. If im going to carry iwb its not going to be a 380 as there is still plenty of room for concealment and minimal to no print for a 9mm or larger. On the other hand its a bit large for pocket carry compared to other 380 models.

LostLake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    West Side
    If you haven't had the chance yet, pick up the Shield and the G42 together. On "paper" they may seem to be close in size, but when it comes to concealment, the G42 is quite a bit smaller. The Shield is larger and weighs more. I still think I want the Shield but man that G42 disappears IWB. I don't really want to add another caliber so I probably won't buy the .380 but if I get over that aspect, I would buy it right now.

Same goes. I'll probably buy one for the hell of it. I sold my P32 so I've been waiting on another small pistol to replace it. This is the one. If it follows normal Glock standards, it will still fire after being put through hellfire and brimstone. Thanks for the info fren.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    After years of watching Hickock45 explode bottles of soda when hit, it was interesting to see them just kind of leak and fall over when hit with the .380. It does show how much power you lose when you step down to the .380 from the more mainstream calibers. .380 does have it's place though. Right now, my Sig P238 is in my pocket just in case there's an issue with it's big brother on my belt.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Same goes. I'll probably buy one for the hell of it. I sold my P32 so I've been waiting on another small pistol to replace it. This is the one. If it follows normal Glock standards, it will still fire after being put through hellfire and brimstone. Thanks for the info fren.

I have never owned a Glock but I thought it was okay. I would have to toughen up my trigger finger a bit. That safety bar had some sharp edges. I guess I am used to a smooth trigger.

After years of watching Hickock45 explode bottles of soda when hit, it was interesting to see them just kind of leak and fall over when hit with the .380. It does show how much power you lose when you step down to the .380 from the more mainstream calibers. .380 does have it's place though. Right now, my Sig P238 is in my pocket just in case there's an issue with it's big brother on my belt.

I also noticed when he shot the flipper target that it didn't have enough oomph to push it to the other side.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    everytime i see a review by good ole hickok45 I get very jealous of his range... anyone else?

I remember the moment when I first realized he was not "at a range" but at "his range"......I remember thinking something like this, "No way...No way....OMG that is HIS...."

I like Hickcock45.....His coolness is in how not cool he acts....A lesson that could be learned by some of the more "In your face" elements of youtube gunnies... and I think Hickcock uses the term "Operator" the same way I do, I.E. The person that picks up the phone when you dial 0.......

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    To me, and I felt that he thought the same thing... that gun is too big for the lower power round you're getting. I don't know why they didn't make it in 9mm. With a gun of that size, there are lots of 9mm options that aren't bad to shoot.

It looks about the size of my Walther PPS

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You gents worried about bottles moving and whatnot.. know what kind of loads he is using?

He used a variety of factory loads. He mentioned shooting some RN and HP. He was shooting HP's when he didn't get the flipper to rotate IIRC.

He also mentioned at one point in his usual low key manner that RN would probably be better for penetration, especially when going through clothing. He, like myself doesn't really come out and say the .380 is too light a round for self defense. I am pretty sure he wouldn't want to take a couple in the chest and I know I wouldn't!

Top Bottom