• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    There are pistols out there that are far higher quality that can be had for the same price. You just have to look a bit harder.

I got a Star BM for $100 that compared to a Hi-Point is VERY refined and high quality. Granted, I got a heck of a deal, but I think you can still find them easily for $200.

Ultimately, the difference between $200 for a Hi-Point and $400 for something reputable just doesn't seem like that much to me. If you are in a position where you can afford to be spending $200, you are in a position to save a little longer and spend $400.
    I'll still go with the Hi Point and spend that extra $200 on a 12 gauge any day of the week.

bobbystoney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    The c-9 has the same "guts" as the 995. It sort of baffles me that people seem to trust the carbines more.

It's not that I wouldn't trust a handgun by them, I've had no problems with my carbine, It's just that I hate the bulkiness of them.

That and I just think that they are really ugly. For some reason though I was attracted to the Plant of the Apes style stock on the 995 even though I have changed it to the ATI stock. Wish now that I would have just left it alone.

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    I had the c9 and no problems. I own and love the 995TS carbine - over 1000 rounds and not one failure, shoots any ammo, cheap and fun gun to shoot - indoors and out.

navarre1095

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Meth Vernon
    I've never had problems with either of mine.
    IMG_3952.jpg

I mean my C9 or either of the 995s I've had.:D
    In that price point they are good guns. If your choice is between a Bryco/Jennings/Jimenez, Rohm, or HP; get the HP.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I owned a C9 and never had any issues with it. It shot anything I loaded it up with. I just decided to step it up some and sold it to help pay for the SR9 I have now. They are HEAVY, and some say ugly. IMO no uglier that some.

As far as the 995ts carbine, I love it. I have it with the ATI stock and it shoots great. I had some misfeed problems with the ProMag 15 rd magazines, and now use the factory 10 rd one's. I shot FNS with it in July using the ProMag's and that killed my times. When it cools off some, I'll shoot it again at FNS.:ar15:

Or maybe the SR9.....:shoot:

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    The c-9 has the same "guts" as the 995. It sort of baffles me that people seem to trust the carbines more.

Well..... mostly, but the carbines have a good coil mag catch spring while the pistols use a bow spring and the carbines have twin extractor hooks compared to the pistols single, and a beefier extractor spring. Seemingly small things but they make a difference. The pistols recently started using a larger ext. spring than previous.

bobcoop06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Marshall County
    You will find that 99% of the people who bad mouth Hi-Points and say they are junk have never shot one, let alone owned one. For what they are, they are great. Again, I reiterate, for what they are. Cheap guns are what they are. But of all the cheap guns out, they are the best. Do not expect a sleek, lightweight, highly customizable, beauty contest winner. But you can expect a gun that goes bang everytime and is backed by awesome customer service.

They are one of the few remaining guns that are 100% manufactured in the United States. They are made just up the road, in Ohio. Even my XDm was made in Croatia. They also have unlimited lifetime warranties. If you break it, they will fix it or replace it, no questions asked, free of charge. And that goes if you are the original owner, or the 17th. How many other weapon manufacturers can say that? None that I know of.

Again, they are big, heavy, clunky, and ugly; but they work. And will continue to work. If it stops working, you get a new one. All for under $200. Like others have suggested, go shoot one. You'll be pleasantly surprised. And don't let the gun snobs deter you or put you down for what you carry. Most people can't fathom that a $200 gun could possibly be as realiable as their $1200 1911.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    You will find that 99% of the people who bad mouth Hi-Points and say they are junk have never shot one, let alone owned one. For what they are, they are great. Again, I reiterate, for what they are. Cheap guns are what they are. But of all the cheap guns out, they are the best. Do not expect a sleek, lightweight, highly customizable, beauty contest winner. But you can expect a gun that goes bang everytime and is backed by awesome customer service.

I've never owned or shot one, but I wanted to agree with what you said. The people who say to wait until you save up for a more expensive gun don't take into account that for many people, it will take some time to save ANOTHER $200-300, and in that time, they would be defenseless and unarmed. I say it's much better to have a reliable, but not trendy, gun to defend yourself and your family than it is to be still waiting for an "acceptable" handgun when the time comes that you need something. If you have $200, and need a handgun because you currently have none, I say go ahead and buy one. If you already have a handgun and just want to add something new, then maybe you could consider waiting.

Just my :twocents:

bambek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Henry Co.
    My Hi Point Experience

I've got a C9. 995TS , and my wife also has a C9. The C9 just feels great in my hand, shoots well, and when I called Hi Point because of a bent firing pin (my fault) they sent me a new one including springs, and didn't even want the serial number of the gun. Any jams, stovepipes etc. have been issues caused as a result of my reloading skills. Now that my freshman mistakes are out of the way the problems have ceased. The C9 was the first gun I ever purchased and I really took my time handling a lot of guns and just fell in love with the way it feels. Maybe it's just me, but everyone I ever let shoot it compliments it as well. My biggest complaint would be the having to pop out a pin to break it down. But overall I find myself desiring to shoot this thing more and more. I plan on buying the 45 cal. next.

Trading_Fool

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I always wanted a 45 for home defense and under a budget I bought a HP. I have to agree with most of the posts that it is a good gun for the money. The only suggestion that was given to me was to be sure to use fmj ammo and avoid cheap hollow points.

Margoblixxen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    hipoints rock

I've had hipoints for a while now, amongst other more expensive choices, and my only criticism is they are really difficult to conceal carry, I've tried many times, many ways ( yes that is how much I really like the c9 ) and I always end up carrying something else, (usually smaller) by the way my 1911 is an excelent carry.
    In any case they are real good weapons and very accurate, the barrel is solidly attached to the frame, it doesn't swing up and down to load a round.

And of course the warranty is top notch. Here is one with a ghost ring cut in half and phosphorescent stuff from glow-on.com was applied, the effect is almost electric.

a-pistol.JPG

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have never had any problems at all with any of the hipoints I have fired. I have had a hipoint pistol for several years now and still enjoy shooting it. Well over 1000 rounds with no issues. Very accurate too.

68kidd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hanover
    You will find that people either love them or hate them. I have heard good things and bad things. Depends on who You ask.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I bought a HP 40 last year. It was my first and is my only handgun. I paid right around $150 to find out if I would enjoy shooting handguns. Found out that I enjoy it A LOT! Now I'm saving and waiting for the right opportunity to get an XDM. For me the ticket was worth the price of admission to handguns. I've had a few failures, but they are likely my fault and part of the learning experience for me. I've also used it to introduce other newbies to handguns and every single person has enjoyed shooting it, most have been quite accurate as well.

If it's what you can afford, buy it. You will want to upgrade when you can, but you will have a fine weapon for self defense until you can get something better. Btw, mine eats everything I feed it. I practice with cheap FMJ and it sleeps by the bed fully stoked with hollow points that I know feed reliably. Any Hi Point doubters want to stand in front of it while I test fire another box of hollow points? You can throw it at me after we are done. ;)

zcsmith464

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Noblesville
    My first handgun was a high point 9mm. I bought one at the in gun show the same day that my buddy did. He had numerous issues.... failing to feed, failing to eject, etc. However I do not recall a single issue with mine. No doubt that they are definately a bulky inexpensive gun, mine was reliable but others have had countless issues. I reccomend saving for an upgrade.

Top Bottom