• ...and so much more!
  • long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Are Hi Points a cheap gun, good or ?

I keep seeing people post about them and am not sure if the are joking or if they are just a cheap junk gun.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You'll get mixed reviews on here but lately folks have been saying that they're a good reliable shooter @ that price point.

In my honest opinion, you are better off throwing it at an attacker and running away. If you are on a tight budget, save your pennies. There are reliable platforms that can be had new for around $400. Or buy a quality used handgun. Are you looking for a range gun, carry gun, home defense gun? Or a do you want it for multiple applications?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    cheap junk gun

But, if its the ONLY way you can afford to protect yourself, go for it.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It was my first personal handgun. I had many problems with it, including many FTF and FTE issues. I got rid of it after about month and moved to a 1911. If that is what you can afford, I would suggest buying a used one that has been dependable.

mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    I have the 9mm with about 1000 rounds through it. No problems with the gun itself. I do have to admit that the 10 round mags kinda suck with10 in them but work fine with 9. However in the long run I don't believe you will be satisfied if you don't already own a finer crafted pistol.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    I really liked my 40 Hi-Point pistol only sold it to buy a Mosin but ended up buying a boat. lol Still have my Hi-Point carbine and I think I'll keep it indefinitely. It is a great starter/truck pistol. As far as reliability I never had any issues with the gun but I did have two feed issues which I determined were because of the new mag I had, but I fixed that by only loading nine rounds instead of ten till it was "broke in". Really my only dislike is the fact you have to remove a roll pin, with a hammer, to remove the slide.

snowman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Bremen, IN
    If that's all you can afford, it better than nothing. That being said, I agree with save the pennies and get something a little better.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Are Hi Points a cheap gun, good or ?

I keep seeing people post about them and am not sure if the are joking or if they are just a cheap junk gun.
    I like my Hi Point .45. It is not fancy but I pull the trigger and the bullet comes out the other end and hits what I aim at. I paid $169 for it and $150 for my 12 gauge SxS. In my opinion I am more well armed than I would be if I had spent the same $319 on a more expensive pistol.

bobbystoney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    The 995 is imo the best buy for your buck. I've no experience with the handguns though and have no plans on ever owning one.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    It was my first personal handgun. I had many problems with it, including many FTF and FTE issues. I got rid of it after about month and moved to a 1911. If that is what you can afford, I would suggest buying a used one that has been dependable.
    Since I don't mind tinkering with things, I wouldn't mind getting a really good price on a Hi Point that someone has decided was not dependable and put it into reliable condition. In the unlikely event that I couldn't get the problems worked out, I would send it back to Hi Point and they would repair or replace it.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Thanks guys. I was looking around and keep seeing them for $160 or so on gunbroker and just wonder what was up with them.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Thanks guys. I was looking around and keep seeing them for $160 or so on gunbroker and just wonder what was up with them.
    There are plenty of people on this forum who have them and like them. I suggest you find one of those people and shoot their gun and see what you think. If you want, I can send you a PM next time I'm coming to Indy and you can shoot mine.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    I would just go to Bradis where you will pay that much out the door (not a quote but I think that's about what I paid.) and don't have to worry about shipping and FFL fees.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I would just go to Bradis where you will pay that much out the door (not a quote but I think that's about what I paid.) and don't have to worry about shipping and FFL fees.
    Guns would be more affordable in general if you didn't have all the interstate nonsense to deal with. I live 14 miles from the Michigan border. Why should I not be able to buy a pistol 20 miles from my house without paying for shipping and FFL?

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    There are pistols out there that are far higher quality that can be had for the same price. You just have to look a bit harder.

I got a Star BM for $100 that compared to a Hi-Point is VERY refined and high quality. Granted, I got a heck of a deal, but I think you can still find them easily for $200.

Ultimately, the difference between $200 for a Hi-Point and $400 for something reputable just doesn't seem like that much to me. If you are in a position where you can afford to be spending $200, you are in a position to save a little longer and spend $400.

localone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I bought a Hi point 40 because the price was right I also own alot of other high end 40s(to compare to) the Hi point is accurated and fun to shot ....just way to heavy for ccw and Alot heavier than my M&p but not bad for under $200.Its a good buy for a beginner.Just my 2 cents

Top Bottom