• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Mike, what's your experience with local shops? Do you recommend any in particular? We don't seem to have very many unless I'm missing something.

We used to have a pawn shop on Central avenue in Lake Station that used to carry all kinds od fire arms, but for some reason they stopped carrying them a couple years back.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Yeah but it is 2 hours away in Bluffton(21st Century)(He is a site advertiser too)... We don't have what I would consider a "Good" shop in the area. There is Jerry's in Rensseltuckey but I have never been there so I can't say but I know a lot of guys like him.

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Somebody must be working very hard to keep Gun Shops out of NW Indiana...I'm going to check that list of gun shops we have somewhere on this site.

There has to be one in Gary, Hobart or Portage :dunno:

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    South bend not too far from ya! My buddy had a hi-point .45, an unnecesarily big and ugly weapon if i do say so. However I think a Taurus would be right up your alley and they can be had for not much more than the hi points and much more quality IMO. However, if you are set on a hi point I would recommend the 9mm. Less recoil but still plenty of buck for your home defense. Welcome!!
    Actually whether it is better to get the 9mm or the .45 depends on the guy. I am a big guy with big hands and the Hi Point c-9 feels like a girl gun to me! I went with the JHP .45 for my first handgun purchase and have no regrets. In fact the heavy slide on that sucker absorbs so much energy that I barley notice the recoil. If on the other hand, he picks up the JHP .45 and thinks "gosh that's heavy, he would probably be better off with the C-9.

Alegre
    I definitely think you need to find a place that has both guns in stock and at least feel the weight of both, before you make up your mind.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Thanks again everyone!!

About the NRA training, I don't think they like us NW Indiana people :rolleyes:. The closest course they have listed is in Fort Wayne on the 27th of June and is about [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Metallic Cartridge Reloading :dunno:

:)
    [/FONT]
    The NRA classes that I have seen listed seem a little pricey for my blood. Check the local "conservation clubs" in your area. The one I just joined in Nappanne IN has a pistol class that costs $15/ night. A lot of useful info! Also a lot of 4-H clubs have shooting programs now too. I'm guessing whoever is running one of those could hook you up with somebody.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    The NRA classes that I have seen listed seem a little pricey for my blood. Check the local "conservation clubs" in your area. The one I just joined in Nappanne IN has a pistol class that costs $15/ night. A lot of useful info! Also a lot of 4-H clubs have shooting programs now too. I'm guessing whoever is running one of those could hook you up with somebody.

:+1:
    Very good advice!!!!

Coming from a guy with his boogerhook on the trigger I am really impressed....

Am I the first one to give you :poop: about??

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    There are quite a few in NWI. You have Blythe's in Valpo and Griffith, Westforth in Gary, Debs in Hammond ,CNI in Crown Point, and also Bass Pro and Cabelas.

Bring Vaseline

Bring KY

Aren't they gone???

Chuck's a good guy good prices, (his wife makes a great dog) Kinda hard to catch..

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    :+1:
    Very good advice!!!!

Coming from a guy with his boogerhook on the trigger I am really impressed....

Am I the first one to give you :poop: about??
    Not even remotely the first! I do need to look for that other photo! That one was taken the first day I owned the gun, and I have learned better since.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Bring Vaseline

Bring KY

Aren't they gone???

Chuck's a good guy good prices, (his wife makes a great dog) Kinda hard to catch..

I don't think he needs to go in expecting to be abused. He just needs to know what the price should be before he goes. If he finds a gun dealer with both the C-9 and JHP in stock he can at least hold them both and see witch one feels most comfortable to bring up and aim. He can do that much even if they are asking $1000 for the Hi Points, then go elsewhere to order one!

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Actually whether it is better to get the 9mm or the .45 depends on the guy. I am a big guy with big hands and the Hi Point c-9 feels like a girl gun to me! I went with the JHP .45 for my first handgun purchase and have no regrets. In fact the heavy slide on that sucker absorbs so much energy that I barley notice the recoil. If on the other hand, he picks up the JHP .45 and thinks "gosh that's heavy, he would probably be better off with the C-9.

Alegre
    I definitely think you need to find a place that has both guns in stock and at least feel the weight of both, before you make up your mind.

Great advise!! Will do, thanks!:yesway:

There are quite a few in NWI. You have Blythe's in Valpo and Griffith, Westforth in Gary, Debs in Hammond ,CNI in Crown Point, and also Bass Pro and Cabelas.

I'll check into those if just to see and hold some of the handguns...thank you!

Bring Vaseline

Bring KY

Aren't they gone???

Mike...you're a crack up :D

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Ok...anyone knows where I can take a look at the Hi Point handgun lineup up here in NW Indiana? Who has them in stock?

Thanks!

Cantbephaded04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    I understand you are bargain shopping but check out a Taurus or even a kel-tec. Still be muuuch better than a hi-point id reckon.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I understand you are bargain shopping but check out a Taurus or even a kel-tec. Still be muuuch better than a hi-point id reckon.
    Why do you reckon that? Customer satisfaction among high point owners is very high. They hit what they aim at, and their warranty and customer service are second to none. Hi Point does however seem to have an iffy reputation among those who have never fired one, for some reason.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Cantbephaded, and why do you say they are better then hi-point? Have you ever used a hipoint? I love my 995, and I enjoyed shooting a c9 the other day. Much more comfy and easier to shoot then a pf9

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Cantbephaded, and why do you say they are better then hi-point? Have you ever used a hipoint? I love my 995, and I enjoyed shooting a c9 the other day. Much more comfy and easier to shoot then a pf9
    Could be he had a bad experience with an inexpensive gun. Could also be he paid $1200 dollars for a gun and can't bear to think that someone who paid $150 would be satisfied with his purchase.470

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    QUESTION: Cantbephaded, and why do you say they are better then hi-point? Have you ever used a hipoint?

ANSWER:
    parrot.jpg

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I appreciate all advise/suggestions but I think I'm pretty much set on the Hi Point.

I'm not a Gun fanatic or anything like that, I just want to get something for self defense and home protection.

You al know how the saying goes...what you don't know......

I won't know the difference between the Hi Point and any other brand of handgun since I've never had a gun before. What will happened after I get my first Handgun it's another story, will I get the hooked and want others? Maybe...but until then........

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I won't know the difference between the Hi Point and any other brand of handgun since I've never had a gun before.

One smaller benefit of getting some training by a qualified professional trainer, is that they can usually make very good recommendations on what guns run, and what guns break. They see hundreds and thousands of different guns from various manufacturers come through their classes every year, and they can quickly tell you which ones you should be looking at.

If a gun fails on the range, you might have a bad day. If it fails when the stuff hits the fan, you've got bigger problems.

Top Bottom