• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Taipan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Greenfield, IN
    If I might suggest something only slightly more expensive, I got my Makarov for $200 and you can get similar weapons for even less, such as the PA-63. Peace, and welcome!

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    welcome to the world of firearms! a hi point will be just fine for what you want it for. not a very good carry weapon at all. if ya wanna know what it feels like to carry a hi point strap a brick to your belt. I dont think there ugly like alot of people do..there not beauty queens but not ugly either,they are how ever big and heavy. I have had my hi point in 9mm for about a month have have shot about 200 rounds through it and have not had one failure.
    you may also be able to find some other pistols in your price range,just keep an eye out at the local pawn shops and gun shops and you may find one just as inexpensive that you you like better, I found a comanche 2 38sp revolver at a pawn shop last week for $125. they get a bad rap just like the high points but they are good guns for the money. I have had one in 357 for years and its been very reliable.

link> Comanche II Double Action Revolver Reviews Forum and Reference Guide

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I have recommended many guns to NEW owners or people new to firearms .
    I am not in anyway downing Highpoint or any other gun .
    But i would have to recommend a revolver to you as i do any new person ,
    The reason behind this is simple a revolver can be loaded and stuck in your nightstand or werever for years you pull it out pull the trigger BANG every time .

sometimes with a semi auto this is not the case (again not downing anyones firearm) .springs in the magazine get weak .

with the semi auto you need to keep it clean ,you need to do mantainace on it ,I do with all weapons but we are talking someone with no experiance ,

Unless you are really wanting to get full bore into guns and maintaining them , Do yourself and those you want to protect with it and atleast look into a revolver .:twocents:

And by the way

:welcome:to:ingo:

POTI

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    For a budget a hi-point C9 is what I would recommend. I personally dont like the look bu tthey shoot ok "The ones I have seen that didnt was from poor magazine springs"

Also thier warranty is IMPRESSIVE! My buddy's melted in a house fire they replaced it.

POTI

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I'm sure there are some INGO guys in your area that could let you test some of their guns. I would take you shooting but I'm about 4 hours away. Join the NWI group and try to get to know some of those guys.

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Thank you guys for all the info and recommendations.

I'm still reading thru all the links that have been provided so it may take me a while to understand everything that I'm reading.

One quick question: As I understand how things work when it comes to purchasing a handgun, since I don't have a LTCH I can't do any FTF purchases. Correct?

My only two options without having a LTCH would be to buy from a dealer retail shop or have the handgun shipped to a broker, for a fee, who would take care of the transfer. Yes/No?

Thanks once again,
    Alegre

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    You CAN do a FTF with anyone who is willing! As long as buyer & seller both are from IN.

So, to be clear, If I get stopped by LEO on my way home after a FTF transaction, I would NOT be thrown in the slammer for not having a LTCH?

I just want to be completely clear as I look at all my options in buying my first handgun.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    So, to be clear, If I get stopped by LEO on my way home after a FTF transaction, I would NOT be thrown in the slammer for not having a LTCH?

I just want to be completely clear as I look at all my options in buying my first handgun.

Very grey area there!!!

your best bet would be to get at a minimum a bill of sale if you have to transport it home, even then I think it would be up to the officer.

We have a few LEO on this board your best bet would be ask them. Like I said it may depend on the officer and the type of day he has had.

GhostOfWinter(Greg) is in your area join the NWI group and post in there I am sure a fellow INGOer close to you could help you out.

LuckyBrush

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Delphi, Indiana
    I think you would be perfectly happy with a high point pistol. I have one in .40 especially for home protection. It stays hidden by the bed waiting for someone to break in at night. :D I have shot both .40 and .45 high points and both were very acurate, and very user friendly. The price is VERY right. They're a perfect starter handgun for you. My :twocents: : Get a 9mm or .40 High Point pistol, you wont be disappointed.

Alegre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Thanks mike!

I've been reading thru the FAQ's and it wasn't clear to me either.

I will do as you suggest, I have an absolutely clean criminal record and would like to keep it that way. Don't want to get in any trouble because of ignorance on my part.

Gowest1995

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    My first handgun was a Hi-Point C9. I had 3 magazines and one of them would have a failure to feed on the first 3 rounds, but other than that, it would eat anything I put in it. The only reason I sold it to a friend was because I had become a snob and I thought that gun was butt ugly! It is like trying to conceal a brick, though. I have since bought an XD .40 subcompact and it is much easier to hide. I also bought a Hi-Point 9mm carbine on Auction Arms and it was in horrible condition. I sent it back to Hi-Point and they basically took the serial # off and put it on a new gun and sent it back to me with a free magazine. Their warranty is awesome. I don't think you can go wrong with a Hi-Point pistol. If you are looking for an inexpensive revolver, Hi-Point's sister company, Charter Arms has some pieces worth looking at. Welcome to the world of firearms ownership! At this point in time we need all we can get!

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    My first handgun was a Hi-Point C9. I had 3 magazines and one of them would have a failure to feed on the first 3 rounds, but other than that, it would eat anything I put in it. The only reason I sold it to a friend was because I had become a snob and I thought that gun was butt ugly! It is like trying to conceal a brick, though. I have since bought an XD .40 subcompact and it is much easier to hide. I also bought a Hi-Point 9mm carbine on Auction Arms and it was in horrible condition. I sent it back to Hi-Point and they basically took the serial # off and put it on a new gun and sent it back to me with a free magazine. Their warranty is awesome. I don't think you can go wrong with a Hi-Point pistol. If you are looking for an inexpensive revolver, Hi-Point's sister company, Charter Arms has some pieces worth looking at. Welcome to the world of firearms ownership! At this point in time we need all we can get!

Uh.... what's that now? :dunno:

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the thread, but feel it is DEFINITELY worth mentioning despite not being asked... Get yourself a little firearms training. Find and attend an NRA basic pistol class. A few hours on a Saturday and you'll learn a ton. You'll have the opportunity to ask all of the questions you can think of, and will learn basic firearms safety. This, in my opinion, is a must ESPECIALLY for those with no previous firearms experience.

Looks like there is a class in Northern Indiana scheduled for July 11th... give them a call, I bet you could take the class without your own firearm (if you haven't purchased only by then).

Find A Local NRA Safety Course

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the thread, but feel it is DEFINITELY worth mentioning despite not being asked... Get yourself a little firearms training. Find and attend an NRA basic pistol class. A few hours on a Saturday and you'll learn a ton. You'll have the opportunity to ask all of the questions you can think of, and will learn basic firearms safety. This, in my opinion, is a must ESPECIALLY for those with no previous firearms experience.

Looks like there is a class in Northern Indiana scheduled for July 11th... give them a call, I bet you could take the class without your own firearm (if you haven't purchased only by then).

Find A Local NRA Safety Course

Always good advice!!! :patriot: :ingo:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom