• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Alright, I've never been hunting, but I love watching the outdoor channels and dream of the day I get to go. I have a question for you seasoned hunters. It seems like on the shows I watch the hunters always score one-shot one-kill, but have you ever shot a turkey, deer, elk, etc., and find them still alive? If so, what do you do? Another 20g shot for the turkey or an EESE 4 across the neck? What about a deer? Do you just shoot them again since they can be dangerous when wounded? Also, have you ever been fooled by a deer playing opossum?

mattkellyind

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Marion In (Central)
    This is why you see them wait twenty minutes before they approach there kill. Gives the animal time to bleed out. I had a buck down this year for over 30 minutes only to have it arise from the dead to charge me. A head shot soon followed I am a meat hunter and them antlers are hard to chew. Id rather do a head shot as a second kill shot to save meat damage. More often than not I find them dead as I approach. The quicker the death the better the meat taste or so I have heard.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Don't shoot a turkey again. Run it down and step on it's head. If it's gonna get away then shoot it.

Don't cut a trophy deer's neck. It screws up the mount, Shoot it again, it the heart this time. In the head if it's doe or nothing you are taking to the taxidermist.

Don't walk around with out a gun or with an unloaded gun. Soon as you shoot, reload and keep your gun in your hands until you stick a knife in it. I lost a darn nice deer leaving my darn gun at the tree and walking over like a grinning dummy with my knife in my hand, when a DRT deer jumped up just about in my face, ran and got shot again a hundred yards away.

If that had been on video no one would have ever seen it because the camera would have been off while every one climbed down and moved over to the "trophy" scene. That's how dead that deer was. One shot, on the money, less than fifty yards away, and it dropped on it's own feet like a sack of taters and never moved. I reloaded and watched it a few minutes through the scope for even a twitch or a breath and didn't see a thing.

It was dead as a rock, until it ran away from me and I couldn't decide to stare at it, my empty hands, or the gun over there leaning against my tree stand.

I didn't even walk over and look. It was on public ground and if I hadn't been such a cocksuredimwit that deer would be on my wall right now.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I went with my brother in law about 10 years ago. He shot a button buck, dropped it first shot. He ran over to it all excited. He about pissed his pants when it jumped up and ran when he started to straddle it. Funniest stuff I've seen in a while.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    like others have said, with deer, it's a good idea to wait 20-30 minutes after the shot before approaching it in case it's still alive, not only to avoid injury but also because if you approach a wounded deer you might bump it and have it run off which means your gonna have to track it for who knows how far. When I approach a down deer I always try and approach it from the back so as to avoid being kicked and if it doesn't move I touch it's eye with the barrel of my gun. I might be overly cautious but I figure better safe than sorry because those hoofs look like they'd hurt to get kicked with.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    This wasn't hunting but it's similar. I have a hog roast every year and a few years ago we got a hog and went to put it down. We shot it in the head with a .45 which is really just enough to knock it down so you can slit the throat. It was still trying to get up and squealing for about 30 min and it was a good cut. Got back down and cut more, bout sawed the head off and it still took another 10 min till the final shakes. For some reason, some animals just don't know they need to give up and die so you can eat them....

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I carry a .357 during the main part of gun season and will put one in behind the ear. During MZ i would put another shot into a deer. I will put one thru the lungs or between the shoulder blades for a racked deer i am having mounted. I don't believe in letting an animal suffer needlessly. Depending on how a deer is hit, will depend on how soon I track him too. Most of the deer I have shot run and I can see/hear them fall and will approach them sooner than 20 minutes.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I carry a .357 during the main part of gun season and will put one in behind the ear. During MZ i would put another shot into a deer. I will put one thru the lungs or between the shoulder blades for a racked deer i am having mounted. I don't believe in letting an animal suffer needlessly. Depending on how a deer is hit, will depend on how soon I track him too. Most of the deer I have shot run and I can see/hear them fall and will approach them sooner than 20 minutes.

I thought I read that a pistol could not be used during deer season?

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    My general rule of thumb is to make the first shot count but as everyone knows sooner or later you'll have bad shot placement. A couple of years ago I shot a doe that was barely in range, the deer ran for a bit then piled up like a pile of bricks. She kept kicking but she couldn't get on her feet so I decided to take the gun off my should and give her time to bleed out. As soon as I put the gun down she got up and ran like a bolt of lightning over a hill. I tracked the her for hours with very little blood trail and never found her. A couple of days later I found her...it turned out to be a gut shot that must have gotten plugged up so there wasn't much blood to follow. Bad shot on my part but from now on if the deer is down still in sight but still kicking I'm going to shoot until it stops moving. I may loose a little meat but that is better than loosing the whole deer again.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    First time I went turkey hunting I shot one in the head with a 12 gauge at about 25 yards, no. 6 lead. I went up to it and the eyes were closed so I had a feeling something wasn't right. I bumped the head a couple times with the barrel. Nothing so I grabbed both legs and lifted it. That's when the fun began. The wings started beating and it started to kick. I was next to a wood pile so I threw it on top of that (didn't know the step on the head trick). Racked a a round and fired but the head went behind a thick branch and the branch took the blast. Racked the next round. I found out later a couple steel BB loads got mixed in with the number 6s. The next shot was a 12 guage load of BBs into the turkey's head from 3 inches away. The head just disappeared and left a stump. That got him.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    First time I went turkey hunting I shot one in the head with a 12 gauge at about 25 yards, no. 6 lead. I went up to it and the eyes were closed so I had a feeling something wasn't right. I bumped the head a couple times with the barrel. Nothing so I grabbed both legs and lifted it. That's when the fun began. The wings started beating and it started to kick. I was next to a wood pile so I threw it on top of that (didn't know the step on the head trick). Racked a a round and fired but the head went behind a thick branch and the branch took the blast. Racked the next round. I found out later a couple steel BB loads got mixed in with the number 6s. The next shot was a 12 guage load of BBs into the turkey's head from 3 inches away. The head just disappeared and left a stump. That got him.

No rep left, but my eyes are still watering from laughing.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I thought I read that a pistol could not be used during deer season?

This:
    Handguns
    Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long.
    Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted.
    Handguns are not permitted on any military areas.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    Friend and I hunting dear many moons ago...me slightly more seasoned than him...him highly motivated type or rather the type that can't sit still and watch. I am watching a good sized 8 pointer walking right towards him...he is asleep about ready to fall out of stand. I also about fell out of stand laughing so hard he wakes up at the last second and shoots the buck dead on in the chest. The deer piles up on itself where it stood. I thought what a good day even though he got the kill. Instead of waiting he proceeds to climb down immediately and runs to the buck about 30 yards away. I then see him stop and look toward me as he yells something I can't make out and the buck jumps up and gets his antlers around my friends waist an violently pushes him to the ground. I am getting down as quickly as possible to get to him...the buck stomps on him a couple of times and runs away. As I got to him thinking he was dead by now...he was laying there with his eyes closed moaning. I attempted to get him to let me call 911...he said no...(my phone was in my truck) a couple hundred yards away. I got my truck and took him to the hospital. He was released later that evening with severe abdominal bruising and a couple of very sore legs where the buck stomped on him. Later the next day he went back to the hospital with severe abdominal pain only to have his spleen removed the same day. I finally asked him what he yelled at me approaching the dear? He said he wanted to know if a deer with his eyes closed was dead! I guess he got his answer! My friend at the time was around 6' tall and 220 lbs...not a small human and the deer tossed him down like a ragdoll.

win87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    elkhart in
    A buddy of nine shot a spike horn. He went over to deer it jumped up and charged him. He put his hands up got both spikes into hands deer ran off.

Top Bottom