• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was trying to avoid a repetition of the last time I addressed his misguided politics. I got tons of rep for that one, but it was, well, a pretty uncouth post.

Civility will be the key my friend.
    This issue set my hair on fire and it was obvious in my responses. I was PM'd by another Mod in an effort to get my feet back on the ground before I crossed the line which was about to happen.
    I have done the same for many members so I understood and see how easy it is to let emotions rule the keyboard.

I have invited our young millennial out for some range time and a cheese burger. I need to look into his eyes as he tells why he thinks as he does. I am trying to get tuned into these folks. Without understanding the issues no changes can be made on either side of any argument. He has the right to think as he does. That is a given in my way of thinking. To prove himself right is where the work will come in.

I truly hope he accepts. I am open to this conversation. And some gunpowder therapy............:)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    This issue set my hair on fire and it was obvious in my responses. I was PM'd by another Mod in an effort to get my feet back on the ground before I crossed the line which was about to happen.
    I have done the same for many members so I understood and see how easy it is to let emotions rule the keyboard.

I have invited our young millennial out for some range time and a cheese burger. I need to look into his eyes as he tells why he thinks as he does. I am trying to get tuned into these folks. Without understanding the issues no changes can be made on either side of any argument. He has the right to think as he does. That is a given in my way of thinking. To prove himself right is where the work will come in.

I truly hope he accepts. I am open to this conversation. And some gunpowder therapy............:)
    I'm done being civil to tyrants and Tories

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

I agree, and hope to see it work out for the better!

I can understand and largely agree, but on the other hand, the youngsters aren't necessarily beyond redemption. Case in point, I have a cousin who has been a quite liberal young lady. She just finished her first semester at IU and came home so disgusted with the people she deals with that she now sounds like Ayn Rand.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

And I totally understand how you feel.

I made myself a promise that 2016 will be a year I attempt to sway at least a few folks into gun ownership and 2A thinking.
    We have done a lot of that in the past years but 2025 sucked in general and energy/brain fuel for such things was not in abundances.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I agree, and hope to see it work out for the better!

I can understand and largely agree, but on the other hand, the youngsters aren't necessarily beyond redemption. Case in point, I have a cousin who has been a quite liberal young lady. She just finished her first semester at IU and came home so disgusted with the people she deals with that she now sounds like Ayn Rand.
    I'll be glad to teach those I feel on the right side how to shoot and maintain their rifle and pistol

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'll be glad to teach those I feel on the right side how to shoot and maintain their rifle and pistol

That is a good start, but also important to teach reality to those who haven't been exposed but are willing to listen. Sometimes dumping them into a hard left environment will get the job done!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    That is a good start, but also important to teach reality to those who haven't been exposed but are willing to listen. Sometimes dumping them into a hard left environment will get the job done!
    Yes. I hope there are some that a still willing to see reality and haven't been indoctrinated past the point of no return.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    One thing is certain, we must teach our children the true history of America. And the teachings of the founding fathers. And that government cannot be trusted and is not a charity. And shooting and how to load mags

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yes. I hope there are some that a still willing to see reality and haven't been indoctrinated past the point of no return.

God I do hope so.

One thing is certain, we must teach our children the true history of America. And the teachings of the founding fathers. And that government cannot be trusted and is not a charity. And shooting and how to load mags

I see it as doable, for a number of different reasons.

1. Exposure to the truth. My aforementioned cousin saw conservatism through the lens of Limbaugh and O'Reilly as its representatives. Having more time available to sit around and talk to her helped. Getting dunked in the septic tank of leftism in Bloomington really made a huge difference to the point that she has no use for freeloaders, for people who aren't useful (i.e., disdain for art, theater, and other such majors, especially those who disparage those in more practical fields like engineering). She has come to see herself as a classic liberal and shakes her head at the self-described liberals who are the most illiberal people on the planet, as in Thomas Jefferson would kick their asses.

2. Rebellion. I have a friend whose sister was, well, a problem child. Her daughter was a problem child. The granddaughter is straight as an arrow. Her mother and grandmother were bad enough that when she entered her rebellious phase, the only way to do it was by walking the straight and narrow strictly, and that is what she did. I can see the same thing happening with the children of hard core lefties.

3. Getting stuck in the mud and being forced to see it as it is. This is really a subset of exposure to truth, but while some people can accept the truth when observed and explained, others have to learn the hard way. When they get flushed down the toilet bowl of life and realize that they were sold a bunch of crap it tends to change their perspective. After all, it worked very well with Ronald Reagan!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I see it as doable, for a number of different reasons.

1. Exposure to the truth. My aforementioned cousin saw conservatism through the lens of Limbaugh and O'Reilly as its representatives. Having more time available to sit around and talk to her helped. Getting dunked in the septic tank of leftism in Bloomington really made a huge difference to the point that she has no use for freeloaders, for people who aren't useful (i.e., disdain for art, theater, and other such majors, especially those who disparage those in more practical fields like engineering). She has come to see herself as a classic liberal and shakes her head at the self-described liberals who are the most illiberal people on the planet, as in Thomas Jefferson would kick their asses.

2. Rebellion. I have a friend whose sister was, well, a problem child. Her daughter was a problem child. The granddaughter is straight as an arrow. Her mother and grandmother were bad enough that when she entered her rebellious phase, the only way to do it was by walking the straight and narrow strictly, and that is what she did. I can see the same thing happening with the children of hard core lefties.

3. Getting stuck in the mud and being forced to see it as it is. This is really a subset of exposure to truth, but while some people can accept the truth when observed and explained, others have to learn the hard way. When they get flushed down the toilet bowl of life and realize that they were sold a bunch of crap it tends to change their perspective. After all, it worked very well with Ronald Reagan!

My parents and theirs were hard core lefty's. I was to for a brief time.
    Once I let the light of truth into my life my mindset changed. It was not an easy task when surrounded by lever pullers.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    It's like the 6-year-old, who comes into a room of adults and says a few choice swear words, just to enjoy the reaction.

When you give children that reaction you empower them. Given the reaction, the child keeps up the performance. He doesn't understand why it upsets the adults, but only that it does.

But otherwise they're pretty much feeble... children.

If you ignore them, they may grow out of it. But they have to reach some level of discernment along the road.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It's curious why he's doing this his last year in office, when his party is on the outs in Congress? Haven't the libs questioned why he didn't push for this earlier? Assuming for the sake of argument that he actually cared...

He's running out of time to accomplish what his true masters require of him?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Vote Democrat = vote you gun rights away.
    Vote Republican = vote to protect and retain your gun rights.

Hold on there. Never trust a Republican to protect your rights, including the 2a. The only reason Republicans like McConnell support gun rights is because they're from states whose population is strongly pro gun. If a republican of that sort thought he could still hold his seat, he'd vote your 2a rights away in a blink. So which pro 2a Republican senators voted for the AWB in the 99s? Hmm?

That said, at least Republicans still have to pretend to be pro 2a. The Democrats have all come out of the closet. Striking down the 2a is officially part of the platform.
    Okay, I'll hear you out: why am I here?

Not sure about this my friend. Just not sure.
    We need to meet for some serious range time and a cheeseburger.....on me of course.

I think Lowe0 has been forthcoming. He has previously explained that he is a gun enthusiast, but other ideological beliefs are more important than just gun rights. Gun rights advocacy is not all or nothing for everyone and as I said above, voting Republican doesn't guarantee our rights.

A lefty just isn't gonna vote "right" for just one overlapping interest. It's like weights on a balance. For him there is only gun rights on the right side of the scale, but many weights on the left. I'm not saying I agree with him, just saying I understand it.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Hold on there. Never trust a Republican to protect your rights, including the 2a. The only reason Republicans like McConnell support gun rights is because they're from states whose population is strongly pro gun. If a republican of that sort thought he could still hold his seat, he'd vote your 2a rights away in a blink. So which pro 2a Republican senators voted for the AWB in the 99s? Hmm?

That said, at least Republicans still have to pretend to be pro 2a. The Democrats have all come out of the closet. Striking down the 2a is officially part of the platform.

I suspect most of the Dems 'deeply held' positions on, say, abortion and same-sex marriage are about the same. They do it to get the margin victory to keep them in office.

Most of the ruling class don't give a d*mn about the average American's life. They're insulated from it, and supported from below by a solid network of party connections (right do to the county poobahs of either party). About the same as China, truth be told.

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    It's like the 6-year-old, who comes into a room of adults and says a few choice swear words, just to enjoy the reaction.

When you give children that reaction you empower them. Given the reaction, the child keeps up the performance. He doesn't understand why it upsets the adults, but only that it does.

But otherwise they're pretty much feeble... children.

If you ignore them, they may grow out of it. But they have to reach some level of discernment along the road.

No. To recap why I say the things I do in a political forum, a gun forum at that, I'm frustrated. I'm sick of unelectable candidates floating to the top of primaries again and again while true moderates wash out by the time IN gets a say.

So when I go to vote in November, I'm going to end up having to choose between more hope and change, or a culture warrior. I don't want either, but I'll vote against the culture warrior.

Top Bottom