• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am in need of rear brake pads and rotors for my Jeep. 131.xxx miles and the OEMS are starting to make noise.....

The question is when replacing the rotors, will I need to do anything with the e-brake bads that sit in the rotor drum?

Can I just get new rotors and pads and slap them on and call it good?

I have done front disks on a ranger but never messed with the brakes on the jeep or a brake that is a disk with drum e-brake

Thanks

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    As an ASE master tech of 10+ years, you will be fine. just remove the 2 10mm bolts, retract the caliper pistons, and install new parts. the E-brake shoes are a separate entity, they do their own thing. good luck. PM me if you have any problems. :ingo:

ISHOOTHST'S

Master
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Iyaf
    You will be fine as long as the e-brake shoes and hardware is not cracking or rusted away. They may need minor adjustment but clean them up and put your rotors and pads on.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Should I remove the brake resivor cap before retract the caliper pistons?

That saves me a lot at the shop. I called two places and they both wanted almost 300.00 to do it.

Looks like I will be freezing my butt off on saturday in the driveway.....

I planned to get brake cleaner to clean up all the crud. the e-brake should be ok, I think I have only used it once so far.

Thanks guys.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Should I remove the brake resivor cap before retract the caliper pistons?

That saves me a lot at the shop. I called two places and they both wanted almost 300.00 to do it.

Looks like I will be freezing my butt off on saturday in the driveway.....

I planned to get brake cleaner to clean up all the crud. the e-brake should be ok, I think I have only used it once so far.

Thanks guys.

I typically do when I do brakes. Just remember that brake fluid absorbs water, so if it is warm (from driving) and you open it up to the cold air, you could get some condensation that may make its way into the brake system.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Everyone with a garage(even me) the jeep will not fit due to my roof basket/lights or crap in them.

I did my oil change last month in the drive, that wasn't that bad. At least for brakes I don't have to lay on my back in the snow...

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    You do not need to open the cap when retracting the pistons. Your fluid level should go down as your brakes wear. If you have not added any fluid wich you should not have, it will just fill the resevoir back up.

Top Bottom