• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Okay I am thinking about picking up a bigger rifle but not sold on the AR just yet. And guessing you guys can help me out.

I am looking for a rifle for home defense, shooting at the range and in case the SHTF. I am not a hunter(nothing wrong with it did it a few times just not for me) so I won't be doing that with the rifle. With the things I plan on doing I like the shorter barrels or more compact look.
    :cool:
    I am also a big fan of the .22 rifle and I see there are some conversion kits so a AR15 223 can shoot .22. This one was the first on the google search ARR-059 - AR-15 .22 LR Conversion Kit Includes 10 Round Magazine I have two boys 7 and 10 years old that like to go with me to the range and having a rifle they could shoot with me would be a HUGE PLUS.

Now for my questions
    1. The cheaper AR like Bushmaster are they any good? I sure the higher priced ones have better warranty, better range/accuracy, or something. Why spend $1500 if I can do 95% of the same with $700? Because then I can buy 2:rockwoot:

2. On the 22 conversion, I have read some review on here and online about the kit. For the most part it looks like a good investment. But guessing I can't buy a AR15-22 and convert it to a 223. Main reason for asking is I can get that rifle cheaper and upgrade as I go along. But have a strong feeling that won't work.

3. I am seeing some cheap ammo guessing they have steel cases, but does it hurt the AR to shoot cheap stuff?

4. I see I can mix and match uppers and lowers but any to stay away from with what I have in mind?

I have more questions but they kinda depend on the above answers so have to wait.

Things I like about the AR15
    Lots of add on options
    Lots of people have them so if the SHTF parts or ammo would be easier to find.
    Looks super cool!!:D

Don't like the price of $1500 but the $700-800 might be a target I can reach.

ajb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I'm in the same boat, looking for my first AR. I don't know much about them. I've been looking at Rock River Arms, they have a sale on their web sight right now.

Can anyone say how the various brands compare? DPMS, Bushmaster, S & W, RRA, etc.?

I'm thinking $1000 or so for a price limit.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Last edited:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Meh, IMHO all of the minutia isn't all that important.

Just visit your local fun store that carries AR's & make sure that you handle a few different ones, and then pick the one you like the best & buy it.

racr28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 27, 2009
    Vincennes, IN
    I bought a CMMG .22lr upper and put it on a dedicated lower for my 7 year old son. By using a Palmetto upper and lower and adding a CMMG .22 upper, you could have basically two rifle for under $1000.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2011
    Greene County
    Bushmaster makes a very nice high quality AR. The price is right and I have owned several with no problems. Olympic Arms is also a nice piece for the price. Most all AR's are cookie cutters of the same thing and interchange parts. This why you can purchase a lower receiver from one manufacturer and attach a different upper to it,including, forearms,stocks,triggers,etc... The higher the price the more polishing seems to have been done, but for the most part does not affect the accuracy. The quality of the steel, and the rifling are the major concerns when purchasing for reliability and safety.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Just about any AR you look at will have its good and bad reviews, there will always be someone who didnt like something about their rifle. I fell into a deal on an Armalite, and personally do not regret the choice that I made. Several of my friends have Bushmasters, and they are good rifles for the money as well.
    As far as a .22 LR that can later be converted to .223, I have not seen one that would be cost effective to go that route, but they could be out there. The biggest thing to be sure of is that the lower receiver is a standard AR lower, and then any standard upper should be able to be fitted to it for future upgrades.

zspeed130

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Indy, South side
    I'm in the same boat, looking for my first AR. I don't know much about them. I've been looking at Rock River Arms, they have a sale on their web sight right now.

Can anyone say how the various brands compare? DPMS, Bushmaster, S & W, RRA, etc.?

I'm thinking $1000 or so for a price limit.

In my opinion Bravo Company makes the best out there for the money. I am pretty sure you can have one out the door for around a grand which brings them in several hundred dollars under an LMT or Colt. You are also supporting a civilian and military friendly business. Paul is A1 in my book. I really think they are better than Colt and LMT in several ways. Look them up and I would highly recommend buyin one over a bushy, DPMS, RRA etc. I have owned all of the brands I have listed and for anything other than collection purposes they are the only brand I will buy more of.

Z

Trickpony

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Out of State :(
    There are tons of great deals on AR-15 rifles out there and it all depends on what you want. Bushmaster, Armalite, DPMS, RRA, YHM, DD, and many others have inexpensive models in the $600 price range. I think I've had rifles from most all of the companies out there except the ones I've heard folks having problems with. I'm really picky now and will pay a little extra to get exactly what I want, I build my own almost all the time now but have bought a few rifles from Loki Weapon Systems since they have everything I want in a rifle (Chrome lined M16 bolt carriers, great forged and billet uppers and lowers, nitride 16" barrels, VLTOR accessories standard, etc. I've been burned by several non chrome lined bolt carriers, poor chrome lined barrels, collapsible stocks that don't "lock" into a position solid, and general function issues - which is why I started building all my own rifles. Loki is the only "inexpensive" rifle I would recommend to anyone looking. You'll pay a little more but will get a great reliable rifle with a full float handguard and all the good stuff. I'm no expert but I've shot thousands of rounds through over 25 rifles as well as fixed several rifles for guys that have suffered "issues" that are due to poor quality parts in most cases. There aren't many places that manufacture parts for the AR-15 but they all have different level of quality to meet mil-spec specs.

My recommendation is to buy 2 uppers and a single lower and pay a little more for quality parts.

Good luck! Let me know if you want a Loki and I can help you spec it out.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana

Just visit your local fun store that carries AR's & make sure that you handle a few different ones, and then pick the one you like the best & buy it.

What an informed way for someone who doesn't know Jack to make a decision.

Yep, they're all black.....look the same....must all be the same.

Why is this one 1000 and this one 650???????

Heck, since you're just paying for the name of XYZ, I'll just get this 650 dollar one. With the $$$ I saved I'll buy a bunch of Crapco stuff to hang off of it. All my friends will think I'm kewl.

:rolleyes:

:twocents:

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    i personal have 2 bushmasters now .....both were great deals. as far as intro ar's go off the shelf is go to go in the 650$ range....when you get more into it you might think about one of the 1000$ guns. or you might just look into doing your own build,thats what im doing now. just buy in your budget and have fun!

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    What an informed way for someone who doesn't know Jack to make a decision.

Yep, they're all black.....look the same....must all be the same.

Why is this one 1000 and this one 650???????

Heck, since you're just paying for the name of XYZ, I'll just get this 650 dollar one. With the $$$ I saved I'll buy a bunch of Crapco stuff to hang off of it. All my friends will think I'm kewl.

:rolleyes:

:twocents:

I gotta disagree.

I told them to go to the fun store & handle a few different ones & then to pick the one they wanted.

I fail to see how that is bad advice.

Seriously no-one is going to notice if they have 4150 or 4140 barrel steel, because there really isn't any "real world" difference, same with M16 BCG or batch vs individual testing, or how their gas key or castle nut is staked a certain way, most folks just want an AR that is accurate & reliable, well that's pretty much most of them aside from say Hesse/Blackthorne/Vulcan.

The last thing anyone should do is suggest a "newbie" get mired in all of that trivial minutia.

What they should be thinking about is 16", 20" or 24" fixed stock or collapsible stock, rails or hand-guards, 1/7 or 1/8 or 1/9, carry handle or flat top, iron sights, red-dot or scope, 55gr, 62gr or 77gr etc.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Originally Posted by RichardR

go to the fun store & handle a few different ones & then to pick the one they wanted.

The last thing anyone should do is suggest a "newbie" get mired in all of that trivial minutia.
    Yep, just run out and willy nilly pick a rifle based on no research. :n00b:

I don't care what AR anyone buys, but the least they can do is to do some background work so that they make an informed decision.

Joe Blow goes out and buys AR15 brand XYZ because it was "on sale".

6 months later Joe knows a little bit more about the AR15 and really isn't happy with the rifle he bought. He wanted it for "abc" and the one he bought was meant for "lmnop".

Now Joe is trying to sell of an upper that no one is interested in, and making changes to the lower receiver. All because he rushed out and didn't do any research .

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Yep, just run out and willy nilly pick a rifle based on no research. :n00b:

I don't care what AR anyone buys, but the least they can do is to do some background work so that they make an informed decision.

Joe Blow goes out and buys AR15 brand XYZ because it was "on sale".

6 months later Joe knows a little bit more about the AR15 and really isn't happy with the rifle he bought. He wanted it for "abc" and the one he bought was meant for "lmnop".

Now Joe is trying to sell of an upper that no one is interested in, and making changes to the lower receiver. All because he rushed out and didn't do any research .

Research eh? like having 10 different people recommend 10 different brands of AR's?

Joe Blow is probably going to be just as happy shooting his Bushmaster as he would a DPMS, RRA or an Oly or a Colt or a etc, etc.

So he should just buy what "configuration" he likes & what his budget can afford, Joe can always tinker & change his DPMS or his Bushmaster just as easily as he can a "top tier" AR later on if he decides he wants to.

Only a small fraction of folks who own & shoot AR's care about the minutia, the vast majority of AR shooters are happy punching holes in paper with their XYorZ mid-tier AR's.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Research eh? like having 10 different people recommend 10 different brands of AR's?

Joe Blow is probably going to be just as happy shooting his Bushmaster as he would a DPMS, RRA or an Oly or a Colt or a etc, etc.

So he should just buy what "configuration" he likes & what his budget can afford, Joe can always tinker & change his DPMS or his Bushmaster just as easily as he can a "top tier" AR later on if he decides he wants to.

Only a small fraction of folks who own & shoot AR's care about the minutia, the vast majority of AR shooters are happy punching holes in paper with their XYorZ mid-tier AR's.

There is a lot of truth to this.

Top Bottom