• Which one should I buy?

• Total voters

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    So, I'm thinking about getting a handgun for competition. I've narrowed it down to two options, and I really, really can't decide which one to get. So, majority rules. Place your vote, and any helpful comments, and I'll buy the winner. Thanks, everyone!

acetylcholine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    So, I'm thinking about getting a handgun for competition. I've narrowed it down to two options, and I really, really can't decide which one to get. So, majority rules. Place your vote, and any helpful comments, and I'll buy the winner. Thanks, everyone!

You're in the exact same boat I'm in, i want one of these 2, but instead, i decided to run my car into a concrete barrier after FNS, so there went that $500 deductible.

Still, :popcorn:

I want to shoot both

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    You're in the exact same boat I'm in, i want one of these 2, but instead, i decided to run my car into a concrete barrier after FNS, so there went that $500 deductible.

Still, :popcorn:

I want to shoot both

Ouch - now that was a silly choice, huh? ;)
    Maybe after I get mine, you can get the other and then we'll swap back and forth? :draw:

Trickpony

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Out of State :(
    Try the M&P 9L or 9Pro... XDM is a great handgun too but the M&P 9mm L or Pro is the winner. Might actually pick the XDM over the M&P if going standard length.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    You can't go wrong with either. I have the XDm-9 and shot IDPA with it, but really like the M&P (have used my dauther's 9c in a BUG match). If both feel comfortable to you, go with the best deal you can find.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    This is super difficult! The poll currently puts the M&P in the lead, but the comments suggest either one is good! Maybe since I just called in sick today, I can go check them both out again...hmmm...I mean I am a little sick, just not super sick. :)

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have shot both, some time apart, and really can't judge the two, either one will fill the bill, just fine, If you can get to shoot both berofe you buy, and then go buy the one YOU like the best, then what anyone else says, doesn;t really mean anything.....:twocents:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    My vote is for M&P w/no safety lever or mag disconnect. I don't like the grip safety aspect of the XD design.

southern.in.guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    switzerland county
    The M&P seems to set lower in the hand witch with lower center of gravity would be easer to control recoil. I haven't shot one but i was in a shop yesterday and was comparing XD ,M&P and a glock. I had a xd 40 and i sold to get a xdm . But I chose a glock yesterday because I found a good deal. If i were picking between the xdm and the m&p iwould go with M&P. Simply because it feels better in my hand. Go with what feels right.

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    I would advise shooting them both. Personally I cannot stand the hinged trigger on the M&Ps. Makes it seem spongy or something. Hard for me to feel the reset. I absolutely love my 2 XDs and XDM.

Handle them both as much as possible and see which one grabs you. Both seem to be sound pieces.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    My vote is for M&P w/no safety lever or mag disconnect. I don't like the grip safety aspect of the XD design.

I'm also not a big fan of the grip safety. And if were going to be my carry weapon, I certainly would not buy it in case I would need to get a shot off without perfect form.

The M&P seems to set lower in the hand witch with lower center of gravity would be easer to control recoil. I haven't shot one but i was in a shop yesterday and was comparing XD ,M&P and a glock. I had a xd 40 and i sold to get a xdm . But I chose a glock yesterday because I found a good deal. If i were picking between the xdm and the m&p iwould go with M&P. Simply because it feels better in my hand. Go with what feels right.

I did like that the M&P sits lower. I went in thinking I was going to leave with a glock, but the grips are all too wide for me. I like that the M&P comes with the different grips, but I really, really wish I could feel the smaller one before leaving the store since the bulge feels a little odd with the medium grip.

no friends with the same handguns you could shoot with? that would be the best to shoot both.

Nope. You got one? You wanna be my friend? :D

I would advise shooting them both. Personally I cannot stand the hinged trigger on the M&Ps. Makes it seem spongy or something. Hard for me to feel the reset. I absolutely love my 2 XDs and XDM.

Handle them both as much as possible and see which one grabs you. Both seem to be sound pieces.

I was concerned about the hinged trigger. Do any other guns have a hinged trigger? I hadn't seen that on anything else before.

Maybe I'll stop by Blythe's this weekend and hope they have one for me to rent. I didn't pay any attention to what they had the last time I was in, but if they do that'll help me decide.

Thanks, everyone! It seems everyone has the same pros/cons that I do when looking at them! :dunno:

jmancobra

Plinker
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    kokomo
    the xdm is super sweet. so much more refined than the regular xd's. and it looks WAY better especially in 2 tone :D

i would still have mine if it didnt have an axe handle for a grip. super combfortable.....just not concealable. but the m&p looks about the same

however.....ill take the m&p c over the xd sub any day :dunno:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I say buy what is most comfortable in your hands. I have shot both, and love both. They are both great guns. No matter what our opinions are, you really should get what you want.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I had the XDM. Very nice pistol but wasn't my cup of tea. I didn't shoot particularly well with it for some reason. ( I think it was the sights)

Traded straight for a M&P 9 Pro and haven't regretted it at all. I do not shoot competitively.

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I've shot both and love the M&P. I actually bought the M&P without shooting it and then shot an XDM. You really can't go wrong with either but the M&P gets the edge in my opinion.

Top Bottom