• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MusicMatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 21, 2014
    Lake County
    Help Deciding on My First Single Stack 9mm (UPDATE!)

I'm looking to buy my first single-stack 9mm for EDC and I've been agonizing over the decision. Unfortunately, renting all of them is not an option. I'd like some actual owner input or advice from those who've carried longer than me because I'm relatively new to this.

XDs 9mm: Pros - Sights are good, Familiarity - Already own an XDm, Warranty, Accuracy and Reliability, $399 for package with the good sights and 2 mags.
    Cons - Weight, Trigger is a little heavy, Higher price than other options

M&P Shield: Pros - Ergos, Weight, Warranty, Reliability, Accessories Availability, $330 for model without thumb safety I want. (Night sights drive up cost.)
    Cons - Still don't like the M&P trigger, to fix this requires APEX and more $$$

Ruger LC9s Pro: Pros - Size and Weight, Reliability, Ruger Customer Service, Trigger, $350 price
    Cons - Small Sights that need replaced ($$$), Only one magazine and extras aren't cheap

Kahr CW9: Pros - Low initial price ($300), Size and Weight, Trigger is different but smooth and predictable, Sights are easy to replace, Mags are inexpensive
    compared to competition.
    Cons - Only one magazine, Break in period/Reliability

Bersa BP9cc: Pros - Ergos, 8+1 Capacity in same form as CW9, Initial Cost, Reliability, Size and Thinness
    Cons - One magazine are extras are $50!!!, Magazine Disconnect, Sights need 2 different brands and can be a little hard to get desires POI.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Shield wins hands down in my opinion.
    I second this! IMO the shield is for some serious use! And I would carry it as my primary before any of the others. I like the Kahr's but more as like a small little BUG or something. Nothing against the others, but it's the Shield hands down with or without reasoning I guess.

dmazzio

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Danville
    My wife decided on the CW9 last year and she put a Hand-All Jr on it and that made quite a difference, she's really accurate with it. I like it as well, break-in is at least 200 rnds before it's happy.

Good Luck

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Shield wins hands down in my opinion.

I'm bit of a HK fanboy, couldn't wait to replace my Shield with a HK P2000sk, finally got one......it's since been sold & the Shield remains.

I like M&Ps, EDC is a M&P 45c, just ordered M&P 9c, for some reason my Shields Trigger is much better than the 45c was (replaced with Apex). Have not seen need/want to do same with Shield.

I've not seen one in the wild, but Walther CCP is getting some great reviews.

xdmdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    southport
    So own 3 single stacks currently(xds4.0,pf-9,pps) I have owned a cw9 and played extensively with shield and lc9s pro. I think I have a problem when it comes to single stacks. You have weight listed as a con for the xds. I think this to be a mistake. That extra weight helps tame what is usually a snappy 9mm single stack. If you can get over the mag release take a look at the walther pps you might just love it. Also I do think the lc9s pro is great. The trigger is awesome and very comfortable in hand. Only one I would personally veto and I know I catch crap for it is the shield. It feels so cheap for some reason? The ergos are uncomfortable for me and I hate the hinged trigger.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You want to carry it so you want flat.

You want to manipulate it, especially one handed, so you want it big (more reliable and less spring pressure).

If I am confined to those brands, then have you looked at the Kahr T9? Large and flat.

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    I am in the same boat, and I have been looking extensively at single stacks. I do not want a safety as I'm a lefty and I have no chance of using one so they are out. I have looked at just about all reasonably priced models and for me it is the xds and the shield as the last two standing.

A couple have triggers so light they worry me about reholstering as with a carry gun taking it in and out of the holster is a concern in some areas that require you to disarm. I'd prefer to err on the side of safety with my carry pistol. Not all worry about this at all I know, but it will give me some peace of mind. The bersa seems super light to me and no safety of any type, like scary light if it caught in my shirt or something I think the first I'd know of it was when it went off lol! Kahr, not bad but seems cheap, I'd love an mk model but the all metal ones are super pricey but man those are sexy guns to me anyway. LC9S pro is a nice shape and size but also super light trigger on the ones I've tried.

Shield trigger gives me no worries, and I like the firearm fine. The XDS I like more for some reason though and I do not mind the grip safety. It's the only kind besides a trigger safety that I like on a carry gun as I'm not used to safety's at all on a carry piece. I'm down to these two, leaning towards the $400 XDS package.

MusicMatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 21, 2014
    Lake County
    Thanks for the replies so far. I forgot to add the Bersa trigger as a con. It is fairly light, which is great for shooting, but it foes make me a little nervous.
    The PPS's I've held before seemed large for their capacity and the trigger was super creaky.
    The shield trigger has improved, but they are still gritty and the break is far from crisp.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Shield is great.

As others said, don't forget the Walther PPS and the Walther CCP

The truth is that they are ALL pretty damn good!!! Sure, the triggers might not be great on most of them, but they are CARRY guns, not range/competition guns.

JSpider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I vote for the shield. I've been carrying it for two months now and I really like it. Replaced my Sig 938. It's just a bit bigger and allows me to get a better grip on it. Added some Talon grips which gave it a good feel. Carry it it in a DeSanti mini scabbard and it disappears under a sweatshirt or pullover jacket. Crossbreed IWB is next purchase for it.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    I carry the xds 3.3 and I haven't looked back. Recoil management is great for me. When I bought this the non-safety shield wasn't available. Then I saw some videos of people (mainly Chris Costa) talking about s&w quality not being so great lately.
    Regardless I'm very happy with my purchase.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    With regard to the Shield, the sight dots fell out on mine, and then the compound recoil spring broke. They resisted replacing it mightily, but finally sent a new one. I frankly find it unbalanced, for my hand of course...

Top Bottom