• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIGnTall83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Auburn, Indiana
    I know I am not the only one who has more than desired around the middle lol. I just purchased a Hybrid holster from AlienGearHolsters.com for my full size 1911. It is comfortable but I am having issues with the grip printing something fierce unless I slide it all the way to the small of my back rather than over my back pocket (where I want to wear it so I can draw easier). Any suggestions? this is my first hybrid holster, I only have a blackhawk Serpa II and I wear that at 3:30-4:00. I only have the one gun at the moment and I know a smaller gun would conceal better but I really like the 1911 platform and would like to continue with it.

Thanks in advance!

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    If you don't mind letting someone carve on it a bit, a round butt or a bobtail does wonders for the 1911 with regard to printing. Some holsters seem to pull the butt of the gun in a little tighter to the body - I don't have an Alien holster, so I can't say whether it does a better or worse job than, say, a VM2 or some of the other holsters out there. I am by no means svelte, but I don't have any trouble concealing a 5" Government Model IWB at between 4 and 5PM, even though I tend to carry a Compact round butt model more often these days.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Now know this is coming from a fellow fatty. Just for perspective I'm 5'5" 250 lbs.

first thing my dr would say is lose some weight if you wanna go IWB. Ok doc we all know that's not gonna happen so now what.

well the prior post is correct. Printing is mostly a result of length width and contour of the grip plus angle of your holster.

for myself I've accepted IWB ain't gonna happen so I am outside with guns with thin short grips that won't print as much and use holsters with degrees of angle so the gun is tilted. I'm thinking the degrees are like 10 or 20 rings a bell.

If you wanna stick with a full size 1911 then a bobtail will help and get a holster that provides a tilt. I know for myself I'm around the 2:30 which helps blend the grip into my fat roll for concealment.

And always remember wear an over sized shirt which is tricky when u r as short as me so it doesn't look like a moo moo.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    6'2" 300 here. I would ask what kind of belt you are wearing. A quality gun belt is going to keep the grip from falling away from your torso and printing as much. My other suggestion is wearing a T-shirt then suspenders and whatever shirt works well for you over that. With this rig a full size with the mag pouch on your weak side is amazingly comfortable.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Faaat Guuuy...In A Little Coooat
    (go ahead and try not to sing it!)
    :):
    I've got a big gut (I'm 5'11" - 200lbs)
    but I can get away with a G27 in an IWB @ 3-4 oclock

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

Sorry guy, but you are a skinny dude at those figures...

I tried a couple of full size 1911 rigs and gave up. I have a Kimber Tactical Ultra that hides pretty well. So you may have to go with one of the smaller size models (Commander/Officer) to really be as hidden as you wish.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Leather, leather, leather... With the belt loops as far apart as possible.
    I'll stick one of my 1911 full sized holsters in my vehicle...
    stop by the shop in Busco and I'll let you try it on for size to see if one like it might work for you.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Actually, PM me about it because a friend wants to test drive it but I haven't heard back from him yet.
    (So I don't know when he was planning on snagging it, yet).
    I'll still drag it to the store, though. :yesway:

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I've been there, done that. So far, here's my findings (YMMV, I'm speaking for MY situations, hopefully they're similar - or hopefully they're not, given the situation :) ):

I'm 5'3, 230-ish. Maybe 5'4 on a good day with the right shoes. I've got NO butt to speak of, so holding pants up is a bit of a challenge to begin with. Wearing the typical hybrid holsters at 4 o'clock position usually results in my having to constantly "adjust" (read, pull up the saggy britches) all day. Seems the mass of the gun and holster not only help gravity, but they keep the belt from cinching in and keeping things locked in place.

I always thought the zero cant position worked best for me for concealment - the only problem being that grip length was HUGELY an issue in that position. But it was the most "comfortable" spot, I thought.

Then, almost on a whim, one day I moved the gun to 3 o'clock, and adjusted the cant to, I'm guessing here, somewhere around 15-20 degrees forward. Carried a Glock 19 (which is HUGE compared to the 26, Shield, Nano, XDS and all other subs I'd been carrying) all last week, at work, tucked. Draped the shirt to match the normal contours of my "handles" (I'm almost evenly distributed in the "above belt line" between handles and belly). The holster (Galco King Tuk) kept the gun in tight, the butt pressing into the less-than-firm handle area, blending in with the surroundings when covered by fabric, so to speak. I felt it there, don't get me wrong, but had to REALLY go to extremes to get it to print at all, and the printing was something so minor that a buddy - who knows I carry - commented that the 19 I'd recently purchased surely couldn't be a carry gun for me, didn't suspect a thing, as most people don't who aren't on the prowl looking for a print.

So, for me, if IWB with a bigger gun, lots of forward cant and a 3 o'clock position.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Now know this is coming from a fellow fatty. Just for perspective I'm 5'5" 250 lbs.

first thing my dr would say is lose some weight if you wanna go IWB. Ok doc we all know that's not gonna happen so now what.

well the prior post is correct. Printing is mostly a result of length width and contour of the grip plus angle of your holster.

for myself I've accepted IWB ain't gonna happen so I am outside with guns with thin short grips that won't print as much and use holsters with degrees of angle so the gun is tilted. I'm thinking the degrees are like 10 or 20 rings a bell.

If you wanna stick with a full size 1911 then a bobtail will help and get a holster that provides a tilt. I know for myself I'm around the 2:30 which helps blend the grip into my fat roll for concealment.

And always remember wear an over sized shirt which is tricky when u r as short as me so it doesn't look like a moo moo.
    I'm gonna use this one... "I'm not fat! It's 'tactical concealment'!" :):

BIGnTall83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Auburn, Indiana
    Thanks for all the input guys, I tried 3:00 didnt work for me, im 6"4' @ 285lb most of my "fluff" is in my gut and my handles arent large or squishy enough for that to work, it sticks out like a sore thumb lol. JG Ill send you a PM here in a minute.

As for gun belt I have a Super-BIO belt from DaltechForce.com

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I use an IWB holster for my XDm Compact from N82 Tactical, their Professional model.

Here is link to their site, it shows what they have for Colt 1911 pistols.

It rides at about 2 o'clock on my belt and does not print. I don't forget that it's there, but it is not uncomfortable and I wear it all day.

I'm planning on getting one for my Colt 1911 (Gov. model, S70).

Edited to add: I'm 6'4" and 350+.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    As one holster maker so well puts it " some people can not tolerate an IWB holster " they can not get one that is comfortable for long periods of time. I know it is a shame that we have to buy a holster ( $$$$) to find out if we can wear it.
    One reason that i will put any of my grips on a customers gun before they buy.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville

Those is my exact dimensions. I have a 34' waist. I don't consider myself "fat" but I could be in better shape.

OP have you tried a CompTac holster? I will normally buy jeans that are 36' waist and a belt that is one size larger than I need and XL shirts for CCW. I use a CompTac Infidel IWB for my full sized 1911 and it works well with this set up.

BIGnTall83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Auburn, Indiana
    Those is my exact dimensions. I have a 34' waist. I don't consider myself "fat" but I could be in better shape.

OP have you tried a CompTac holster? I will normally buy jeans that are 36' waist and a belt that is one size larger than I need and XL shirts for CCW. I use a CompTac Infidel IWB for my full sized 1911 and it works well with this set up.

I only have 2 holsters Serpa II and the Aliengear hybrid that I just aquired

Top Bottom