• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My argument is the act of creating something can be offensive on its own, hence if you find "item x" to be offensive regardless of who its being sold to or for what purpose, you can't be compelled to make "item x", but if you'd sell it to one person you must sell it to anyone who can pay for it.

Why? Why do you believe it is a society's role to compel this? Why do you think society has, not just a right to compel this, but a responsibility to compel this? Why do so many people want the force of government to regulate other people's behavior so much? Please. Just. Stop!

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Why? Why do you believe it is a society's role to compel this? Why do you think society has, not just a right to compel this, but a responsibility to compel this? Why do so many people want the force of government to regulate other people's behavior so much? Please. Just. Stop!

+1 again

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

I don't want government to force anyone to participate in anything. But if the government is going to offer a good or service to one, they need to offer it to all. I've asked this same question multiple times in different threads and nobody has addressed it. Can the state deny gun owners access to state lands? If the state allows non gun owners access to a park then they have to allow gun owners access to a park.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't want government to force anyone to participate in anything. But if the government is going to offer a good or service to one, they need to offer it to all. I've asked this same question multiple times in different threads and nobody has addressed it. Can the state deny gun owners access to state lands? If the state allows non gun owners access to a park then they have to allow gun owners access to a park.
    But we are not talking about government services here. We are talking about individuual business owners. I'm not sure how state parks enter into this discussion.

If we're going to have public land the public gets to choose who will set the rules that govern its use. The public seems schizophrenic because it isn't singular. It's plural. And it reflects the compromises of diverse opinions.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    But we are not talking about government services here. We are talking about individuual business owners. I'm not sure how state parks enter into this discussion.

If we're going to have public land the public gets to choose who will set the rules that govern its use. The public seems schizophrenic because it isn't singular. It's plural. And it reflects the compromises of diverse opinions.

Yet people want to claim religious exemptions for participating in something while using their religion to restrict actions of others.

Is our government based on the tyranny of the majority? The 51% always hold absolute sway?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yet people want to claim religious exemptions for participating in something while using their religion to restrict actions of others.

Is our government based on the tyranny of the majority? The 51% always hold absolute sway?

Who cares that people are selfish? Of course they are. Of course they want it both ways. We're human. We're hypocrites. It's what we do.

And it's not 51% ruling the 49% either. The majority doesn't get its way in the US. The few people who influence the majority do. And the guard is changing and we're all along for the ride. The stodgy old-money rulers are attriting. Giving way to the trendy new-money rulers. Every time a Koch brother dies a Zuckerberg takes his place.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Who cares that people are selfish? Of course they are. Of course they want it both ways. We're human. We're hypocrites. It's what we do.

And it's not 51% ruling the 49% either. The majority doesn't get its way in the US. The few people who influence the majority do. And the guard is changing and we're all along for the ride. The stodgy old-money rulers are attriting. Giving way to the trendy new-money rulers. Every time a Koch brother dies a Zuckerberg takes his place.

That is truly scary. Brave new world.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

And this whole subject demonstrates that the perceived tyranny of one set of rulers will be replaced by that of the new ones.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I've already covered it.

Allowing people to refuse to do business with entire classes of people allows those people to be effectively barred from neighborhoods. We saw this with segregation. If black people can't buy food, rent an apartment, etc. they are effectively banned from living in an area. This strikes me as a larger infringement on the American ideals of freedom than the business owner's rights to elect to not serve a certain class.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

Is that how the constitution works? Is that how the supreme court determines the constitutionality of a law?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I don't know "Who" it was.

Thats why I asked who.

Ahhh....well....I'm not sure Who it was either....

The who is irrelevant. Anymore. It seems. I'm in tune.

Is that how the constitution works? Is that how the supreme court determines the constitutionality of a law?

Well look at the pretzel they made of it with the ACA ruling. I think rule of law is impossible for humankind to maintain regardless of the system. Powerful people wield their power to make the law what they want anyway. But I think I'd rather live in a system like ours and live where at least the illusion of liberty is possible, than live in a system where such illusion is impossible to pull off. Few people in Cuba believe they are free.

Top Bottom