• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaksun7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Im looking for information regarding hearing protection as im new to shooting. Curiuos if most prefer the electronic ear muffs or without electronics and also brand and style. Thanks for the info.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Caldwell EMAX electronics, I also always wear foam earplugs.

+1 on that. I always wear both foam and ear muffs at the same time. It's not worth losing your hearing over. Personally I just use the Remington brand muffs. I'm looking into getting some type of electronic muffs though.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I put this review together for folks in your position. Hope it helps.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...tronic_hearing_protection_for_any_budget.html

Evan has sold a bunch of Peltor TacSports with this review so don't open it unless you're ready to buy a set of electronic muffs. :D

Seriously though, Evan has a great review of electronic muffs, and it's certainly worth your reading time. The biggest difference between cheap and more expensive electronic muffs is the way they cut out the sound. From what I understand the cheaper muffs basically "clip" all sound when something is loud enough to trigger a response, but the more expensive ones compress the louder sounds while they continually allow the wearer to hear the lower volume sounds. It's a lot more natural than the ones that simply clip the entire sound spectrum.

I love my Peltor TacSports and I would buy them again in a heartbeat! I didn't want to spend that much money, but I talked myself into buying the better ones because I didn't think I'd be happy with the cheaper ones. I ended up spending about $93 if I remember correctly.

Cable

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    I started off with just regular earmuffs: Peltor Shotgunner purchased from Amazon for $17. These are low profile and really good for shooting long guns.

The problem is that when I started doing firearm training, I had a hard time hearing the instructors as well. Taking off hearing protection is a no no at a gun range, which i figured out the hard way.

I eventually purchased electronic hearing protection. Highly rated "Howard Leight Impact Sport" $51 on Amazon.

Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff - Amazon.com

chris46131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Franklin
    I have the Peltor ProTac. They were pricey but I am very happy with them. Even after being at a crowded range I can't tell that I've been shooting - except for the sweaty ears.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    HUH!!! WHAT????? :D I have Howard Lights and love them! Evan did a good job on his review so I would say start there! And Welcome to INGO. :D

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Everyone will have an opinion, but my first electronic muffs were Howard Leights. For what they cost, they were worth the money. However, because of the low profile and relatively small ear cups, I found that they squished my ears enough that, after a few hours on the range in class, I'd get a headache and my ears would hurt.

So, I invested in some Peltor Tactical Pro muffs and they difference was well worth it. If I were an occasional plinker, the Howard Leights would have been just fine. But since I'm actively training, I can spend 4-8 hours on the range at a time, and comfort is important. Plus, the Peltor Tactical Pros don't clip others' voices nearly as much. They do, however, seem to run through the batteries.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    For me, electronic earmuffs don't offer enough protection. Typically, they're 23 dB or so. I prefer 30+ dB, which is what I get from my MidwayUSA brand muffs.

Cable

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012

jaksun7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    First off, Thanks for all the replys from all. Nice to see people willing to help a newbie out, its greatly appreciated. Thanks ESRICE for the write and great review, it will help make my selection a bit easier.
    Thanks again

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    For me, electronic earmuffs don't offer enough protection. Typically, they're 23 dB or so. I prefer 30+ dB, which is what I get from my MidwayUSA brand muffs.

A lot of people will use the cheap foam plugs under the muffs when they're shooting indoors or when around a particularly loud firearm.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Evan did an AWESOME job on that review.....

Here's my 2 pennies....buy once, cry once. Pony up for the MSA Supreme Pro-X. Worth every dime. Sound suppresion and apmlification are second to none. Wear the HL Impacts or the Radians for an hour of shooting, then put on the S. Pro-Xs.....you'll understand why they are worth the extra 170-200 bones....

-Rogue-

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I have had no issues with the Howard Leights. Seems to work just fine on an indoor or outdoor range and I do not find the clipping annoying.

Top Bottom