• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I have had no issues with the Howard Leights. Seems to work just fine on an indoor or outdoor range and I do not find the clipping annoying.

A lot has to do with the environment and the type of shooting you're doing. For everyday plinking or shooting with buddies at the range, HLs and the like are probably just dandy. So what if you miss a word or two when your buds are ragging on you for out-shooting them?

In a course, however, it's rather important to hear EVERYTHING that the instructors are saying, IMO. I've paid good money to learn, and missing a firing command or a correction because their words blank out when the noise-canceling circuitry kicks in can be frustrating. That's where the value of the higher-priced muffs becomes apparent.

And the HLs hurt my ears. Maybe I just have big, tender ears. :D

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    For me, electronic earmuffs don't offer enough protection. Typically, they're 23 dB or so. I prefer 30+ dB, which is what I get from my MidwayUSA brand muffs.

You can get up to NRR33, which is what my Pro Ears Pro Tac Mag Gold are rated.

At 10x the price!!

A lot of people will use the cheap foam plugs under the muffs when they're shooting indoors or when around a particularly loud firearm.
    That'll be my strategy if I find the need for electronic muffs.

bob_dolemite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    I double up indoors or out with 3m Pistonz and electronic muffs. I do this for the redundancy because invariably I'll forget one or the other and I have enough hearing loss already that I wear hearing aides. I just got MSA/Sordin Pros to replace a broken set of Pro Ear Predators. These are much nicer and I might use them solo.

The plugs are much more versatile, however. They fit in the pocket so you can whip them out and put them in easily when the wife starts yapping. In this manner they are much more effective than muffs.

Top Bottom