• ...and so much more!
  • 24Carat

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    No way to give your questions a solid try without getting quite wordy.
    For everyone else, I'll assume a TLDR at first glance.

I have read a bit about tinnitus. I've had some trouble with ringing or roaring for thirty years. I was still working in sound reinforcement when it became noticeable to me.

One set of theories suggests tinnitus is caused by our own brains, not our ears. Almost akin to phantom limb syndrome, where even many years after losing a limb, your brain still makes ones lost limb hurt or itch.
    In one study, they presented that the brain is used to hearing tones in the upper registers and after some hearing loss, the brain "makes up" the sounds it's missing most.

Crazy stuff going on out there with electrical stimulants to tongue and ears, with claims to restore some of the brains ability to ignore background noises and focus more fully on the sounds, such as speech or low intensity sounds, after some time spent in these therapies.
    John Hopkins is one, but there seem to be lots of universities working on these issues.

As far as compression, I think we both know that tiny digital sound reproduction equipment has some degree of compression and limiting factors built in.
    With the cheaper units, I could here the compression functions "pumping" and that was not tolerable.
    The better units are not as noticeable and I believe "do less" overall signal compression due to having a higher quality programming, being more specific to the needs of each ear individually.
    I dropped serious coin to be rid of that effect!

As far as polar reproduction patterns, you need both ears to identify such tendencies in open air, but I think I know what you're getting at.
    Since the hearing aids (good ones) are designed specifically to infuse one ear at a time with "missing" tonal ranges, there is no sense of any dispersion patterns between the two devices.
    But, in moving the devices around inside my inner ear they do not seem to change tone or effectiveness much, as earbud type things do when you wiggle them around trying to get a better sound.
    So, I would presume that the actual polar patterns presented by the individual inside-the-ear transducers are about as close to an omnidirectional field as possible.

On my first follow up visit, two weeks after being fitted with the devices I chose within my own budget, I sat for another extensive set of hearing tests, as apart of the final "fitting" and programming processes.
    I could hear 18K in one ear and my half dead hear could hear 16K, whereas before my "good ear" was only capable of hearing 14K and my dead ear petered out at 8K.

So, I gained a full octave in my dead ear and about 1/3 octave in my good ear.

They don't really like to give out those numbers, assuming it's because some dummy Karen types would not understand any of it and want their money back if their hearing was not "internet said so" perfect.

In both ears, I am still able to hear below 100Hz, normally, no aids, but after so many years of training and experience, I can easily distinguish, with both ears, the lowest tone on their test equipment, which was 16Hz at my new Doc's place.

I haven't done live sound for real in about ten years, but I have offered my assistance to a friend who does permanent installations in homes, churches and small venues.
    He calls me in for subwoofer installs, such as one well off fellow who wanted an infinite baffle subwoofer system in his attic for his movie rig. Heard one somewhere; wanted it.

We built a pyramid that would exit through his 3'x3' opening in the ceiling. Pyramid was heavily constructed, dual layer plywood, well braced, tied into the rafters at five points, supporting sixteen Dayton 15" IB drivers.

He had a decorative grille on the ceiling opening he liked, but our LFE system would make the thing whistle at around 80Hz. Horrible! I was first to notice it.
    We had another cabinet finish guy come in and recreate a snazzy grille from wood for the client which matched our specifications and did not whistle at all.

This was about a year before I got my new hearing aids, but I could still balance, tune, EQ and match the rest of his system.
    Never had any problems with low frequencies.

I mentioned distortion in the lower shelf units that I tried before I sprang for the better hearing aids, but being more specific for the benefit of any who get this, the cheaper units introduced IM and upper order harmonics that made my teeth itch!

At first, I was afraid that this is just how it's going to be, but not so. Good clean, "High Fidelity" excellent resolution hearing aids are available, but they're not cheap. No more so than that Luxman preamp I traded for a couple of years ago.

About mixing with some kind of hearing aids, I am convinced after still having success, knowing my hearing was not what it used to be, I believe that it is not your ears, but that analytical part of your brain is your special gift and as long that part of your craft is still well honed and functional, you can make it work either way.
    Only sound tech I ever worked with who used aids was the Brit engineer for the Chieftains, and he did a great job!
    What he said !

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    I, for one, am eating it up.
    Appreciate the conversation, I can use the motivation.
    Well we are staying on the topic, but I don't think most people are sound engineers and would be able to follow with the words we were using. But now I am curious about how many engineers are following us. Or have a basic understanding.

A engineer buddy of mine in Nashville decided once to go to Costco and have his ears checked. It was a few years before Covid hit. He even said that he could tell that the person giving him the test was use to dealing with older people, and he even talked over that person's head a lot.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Well we are staying on the topic, but I don't think most people are sound engineers and would be able to follow with the words we were using. But now I am curious about how many engineers are following us. Or have a basic understanding.

A engineer buddy of mine in Nashville decided once to go to Costco and have his ears checked. It was a few years before Covid hit. He even said that he could tell that the person giving him the test was use to dealing with older people, and he even talked over that person's head a lot.
    There's quite a few church sound guys around here, ranging from pretty good to just Sunday hacks (I'm close to the latter category). Also some musicians recording and mixing. So we can try to follow along and learn something from the pros!
    But it is INGO and that's the cool thing, the conversation can just flow like in real life and if people want to have a sidebar they can.
    See my avatar. It's not even close to off the rails until someone mentions p*******e on p***a, which I didn't.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    There's quite a few church sound guys around here, ranging from pretty good to just Sunday hacks (I'm close to the latter category). Also some musicians recording and mixing. So we can try to follow along and learn something from the pros!
    But it is INGO and that's the cool thing, the conversation can just flow like in real life and if people want to have a sidebar they can.
    See my avatar. It's not even close to off the rails until someone mentions p*******e on p***a, which I didn't.
    LMAO. I use to call it trans pizza, but I could tell some people were getting angry with that term. And there is nothing wrong with being a church sound guy. Just worked with a guy recently that was touring with a sweetish death metal band that got his start in a church. LOL. It's show business afterall. You have to sale it but you don't have to live it. And I have worked with many like that and they all were really good at their jobs. And great people to work with. Just have never worked with anyone that wears hearing aides. So that's what interested me about this topic. BeDome has gave me more hope about my future. And for that I thank him.

Top Bottom