• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I just got my annual Anthem price increase for our family's health insurance. It has gone up 88% in the last 2 years and we are now paying $954.00 a month/$2,500 deductible, with NO eye, dental or maternity.
    I'm sure glad that Obama is on top of this, otherwise it might become unaffordable!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    What is your employer's contribution?

In the past, when my premiums took a jump, it was usually because my employer decided to pay less of the total. Essentially, I took a reduction in pay. Awful nice of them....

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    You should feel blessed that you have a job. (should this be in purple?)

You also get to chip in for the unemployment, food stamps and every other
    government program that gets abused.

Brother, I feel you pain. We are getting boxed in
    and the box just keeps getting smaller.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    That sucks dude. I'm $300/mo premium with a $3,000 deductible and $6,000 max out of pocket for the family.

We are self insured through Anthem BCBS.

I don't know the company contribution, but it is likely high. They also kick in $1,000/yr into the HSA.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    You need to become unemployed,apply for every handout available and then you can be treated for free!

Good luck getting health insurance via the unemployment route if you're a legal citizen. If you're a single mother, you have a decent chance. If you're a single white male or a married couple with no kids, you'll be looking at several years just to possibly get health insurance. It is a wonderful program. Btw, several of the programs don't give free health care...they have pro-rated monthly premiums and there is also a healthcare savings account that the user has to pay into (once again, pro-rated with governmental supplements).

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    That sucks dude. I'm $300/mo premium with a $3,000 deductible and $6,000 max out of pocket for the family.

We are self insured through Anthem BCBS.

I don't know the company contribution, but it is likely high. They also kick in $1,000/yr into the HSA.

Wow. I'm 48, have a $5K deductible with a couple freebie appts a year for $218/mo. I buy my own insurance personally - not part of a group. I pay for all my employees to have personal insurance. It's a lot cheaper than a group plan.

SteveL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Holy Moley.....and I used to whine about having 19.00 every two weeks taken from my check....

Steve L

aronhubbard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    It's kind of a scam. Switch to Sagamore. Wait for them to shaft you. Switch to Unified. Wait for them to shaft you. Switch to Anthem. Wash, rinse, repeat. I don't know why they do this crap, but they do.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Holy Moley.....and I used to whine about having 19.00 every two weeks taken from my check....

Steve L
    I miss those days.

Thank the government (republicans at the time) for that going away virtually overnight.

Just for fun, under bush my health insurance went up by about 8fold. Under obama it only went up 25%.... of course he isn't done and neither is the republican controlled house.

Try to look for discounts thru associations you might have. USAA for example.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    The cost of "free" healthcare for every dependent up to 26 (Anthem implemented this requirement not long after Obama's signature was dry) and all of the other wonderful giveaways from Uncle Sugar.

None of it could be dreamt, let alone realized without the Fed standing by to pump more money.

I think government control of the money supply may be the real root of most evils; it is the love of power that drives it.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Little known fact. If many of your coworkers are older, or if they've had some serious and costly illnesses, you and your employer are going to pay more. You all share the costs.

A workforce of 50 somethings pays a lot more than a workforce of 20 somethings.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    What is your employer's contribution?

In the past, when my premiums took a jump, it was usually because my employer decided to pay less of the total. Essentially, I took a reduction in pay. Awful nice of them....

Be thankful your employer even provides you with this option. I am a small business owner for 13 years and employ 10 good friends. This is my personal plan, as I can't afford to provide health insurance to my employees. I DO get to pay unemployment (my rates tripled this year due to the Indiana unemployment fund being about $2 billion in the hole), but am ineligible for it should I fold. I pay my employees well, but can't afford to do anymore because of increases like this and the unknown/unexpected business climate that we have right now. And do you have any idea how hard it is to compete with CorporateAmerica, that offers benefits, for good people?
    I'm just a guy that worked his ass off, made it work and is trying to do the right thing. I'm just like every other small business owner that I know; I don't want any special treatment or handouts, I'm just tired of it getting to be almost impossible to realize the American Dream due to government intervention while I see the ranks of the Takers swell!

Who is John Galt? :patriot:

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I just got my annual Anthem price increase for our family's health insurance. It has gone up 88% in the last 2 years and we are now paying $954.00 a month/$2,500 deductible, with NO eye, dental or maternity.
    I'm sure glad that Obama is on top of this, otherwise it might become unaffordable!

Isn't this part of his plan? Make the cost of insurance so high that when he rolls out his public plan, everyone jumps? I'm in the same boat your in! What to do :dunno:
    I'm @ $500 a month $5,000 deductible and the coverage is rough

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Isn't this part of his plan? Make the cost of insurance so high that when he rolls out his public plan, everyone jumps? I'm in the same boat your in! What to do :dunno:
    I'm @ $500 a month $5,000 deductible and the coverage is rough

ObamaCare was written to bankrupt the private insurance industry. Once it is bankrupt, then the savior will come in and tell everyone the government must do it since he tried the private route.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Does anybody know of a TRUE high deductible for a self employed person?

I'd ideally like to get a TRUE $5 to 10K (or so) deductible.
    (What I mean by TRUE is that I pay every penny up to the deductible and the insurance pays NOTHING until i reach it)

I JUST want catastrophic coverage, and will pay everything else myself.

Yet I find that NOBODY offers anything like this.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Wow. I'm 48, have a $5K deductible with a couple freebie appts a year for $218/mo. I buy my own insurance personally - not part of a group. I pay for all my employees to have personal insurance. It's a lot cheaper than a group plan.

Is that single or family coverage?

My numbers are family.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Does anybody know of a TRUE high deductible for a self employed person?

I'd ideally like to get a TRUE $5 to 10K (or so) deductible.
    (What I mean by TRUE is that I pay every penny up to the deductible and the insurance pays NOTHING until i reach it)

I JUST want catastrophic coverage, and will pay everything else myself.

Yet I find that NOBODY offers anything like this.

Check out Anthem BC/BS new plan, Lumenos HSA Plus plan. $5-11k deductible.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom