• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I would disagree. I think this is one of the very few places a single point is in it's element.

If someone is kicking my door in, I don't think I'm going to be wasting time wrapping any sling around myself. I'd be more worried about getting the family behind me and getting on target quickly. Looking tacticool won't help with either of those.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I stuck with the 6 shell version of the 590A1, and addressed the round count issue by getting the model with the SpeedFeed stock - gives me 4 more rounds with easy access. I practice reloading from the stock on a regular basis. I'm in agreement with the need for a light as well, and I didn't see any need for anything other than the bead sight. If the shotgun fits you correctly, the POI is going to be where your eyes are looking. I've got a Kick-Eze pad on the stock to get a length-of-pull that fits me.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I agree...and it doesn't have to be a 12 GA to have that effect either! My wife was not comfortable with the 12 GA I had as it was just too much kick for her...so I searched around and found Remington's 870 Tactical in 20 GA and got one for her! She LOVES it and she'll shoot it all day long! Throw some #3 shot in it and it's devestating at close rangers...with 7 in the tube +5 more on the youth butt stock I installed for her...it's ready! I know she'll pick it up if she needs anything!

Well, a fellow that I trust recently mentioned reduced recoil 12g rounds as an alternative to a 20g. I haven't tried it myself, but I was looking for a 20g for my wife and he told me to give it a try, especially coupled with one of those stocks with the hydraulic recoil reducer. I'm thinking of rigging up a 500 I've got and see how much difference there is.

lapoozyfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    spencerville
    since you are using it for home defense I would say that where you live would be the key for me, if you needed to use it would it be because a group of people may break in or just one?

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    Thanks for all the input guys! After much debate I ended up getting the Mossberg 500 3in1 combo off of a guy on gunbroker. Just picked it up at IndyGunSafety the other day. I figured I could try this with skeet or clays or something as well. Will post some pics when I have some!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Thanks for all the input guys! After much debate I ended up getting the Mossberg 500 3in1 combo off of a guy on gunbroker. Just picked it up at IndyGunSafety the other day. I figured I could try this with skeet or clays or something as well. Will post some pics when I have some!

Nothing wrong with a Mossy 500! Good choice, enjoy, and practice with it. :)

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Who were you debating with and why did it take so long for you to win?

3 in 1, good move. Take the long vent rib barrel, find a 5 stand or sporting clays range and tell them you want to shoot the rabbit 25 to 50 times. Of all the clays shots out there I think the rabbit is one of the best for overall practice as it realtes to HD. You have lateral movement, visual distraction, no two shots are exactly the same AND once you learn the mechanics of how to shoot the rabbit, hitting slow moving 200lb bad guys center mass is not so hard.

Dealing with the adrenaline and pressure are bigger issues.

Even though I am an 870 guy, back in 82 or 83 I gave my Bro a Mossberg 3 barrel set. No choke tubes so the third barrel was a monster 30" goose barrel. What three barrels did you get? 18" HD, 26-28VR and maybe a slug barrel?

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    My thinking is a short barrel, no excess crap hanging off the sides(except soon to be a light... I will identify before shooting) should snag supports under my bed, or other crap I may have under there. I have a cheapo elastic ammo holder currently, and I don't see that getting snagged on much. I have an 18.5" now, but a 590 with 20" barrel and bayonet lug will be my next shotgun. I love those things. I'll keep my shorter one under my bed, but when I wanna watch Rambo on a Saturday night, a shotgun with a bayonet is a pretty manly companion to look at with friends and family. ;). My hd loads are low recoil 00, or #4's. I have them alternating (not advocating alternating, just indecisive).

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I think mag capacity on a shotgun is less important than pointability and maneuvering.

The 12ga HD gun has so much punch that you'd be well advised to place the shots with great care.

Also, some guns load pretty quickly. I've seen some reload speed on a Benelli nova that was impressive.

JMO

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    I can't think of any reasonable home defense scenario that is going to take 9 rounds,

I really hope you aren't serious. I can think of 2 events that happened this week posted on here where there was 3-4 bad guys. They get confidence in numbers and use it in intimidation.

When my life and the lives of others i care about is on the line i want the best and the most of it i can afford. You sound like one of the libtards and the you don't need a magazine with more then 10 rounds.

I don't think anyone that has been in a gunfight has complained they had too much ammo. But I'm sure some have complained they didn't have enough if they lived to tell about it.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I really hope you aren't serious. I can think of 2 events that happened this week posted on here where there was 3-4 bad guys. They get confidence in numbers and use it in intimidation.

When my life and the lives of others i care about is on the line i want the best and the most of it i can afford. You sound like one of the libtards and the you don't need a magazine with more then 10 rounds.

I don't think anyone that has been in a gunfight has complained they had too much ammo. But I'm sure some have complained they didn't have enough if they lived to tell about it.

Hey, he's just admitting that 'he can't imagine'-- not saying that YOU can't imagine.

No need to call him a "libtard."

Top Bottom