HB1231 passes in house- (Centerfire rifles for deer hunting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    There are variations to the 7.62 x 39 bullet diameters. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62×39mm

What would be nice if we actually wrote and refined a well written law here and sent it to the legislators to copy and paste on the next version. this way it will be simple, well thought out by people who actually know firearms.

My way of writing it would be "A rifle that shoots a cartridge with a bullet diameter of X or larger with a minimum case length of X." Then use some of these other calibers as examples but specify they are not all inclusive.

No need to limit barrel length as pistols already are used who cares if a person has a SBR and wants to use it. No need to talk about magazine capacity, how many you carry with you, etc. etc. You shoot at a deer more than twice and you will likely be shooting at nothing, they aren't going to hang around long after the shot rings out. Also if you pop off several rounds, you may not see another one the rest of the day. Anyway, perhaps we could try to write one here where people know hunting and guns properly, and send the finished product to a legislator who would hopefully use it rather than try to write one from scratch. Unlike most things the government writes, it really should be very short and simple.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oh yeah, baby!
    An M77 International.
    Lucky dog.
    Those are really nice rifles.
    I trust yours is in .308, right?
    I'm certain that was at least one of the half dozen or so calibers that Uncle Bill made the International chambered for.

Yep pink...308....I just can't bring myself to put glass on her...The lines on that rifle are perfect...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Posted on another gen firearm thread but putting here (sorry mods, dunno how to crosspost).

The current 5 cartridges to be allowed.............does it make sense?
    To many "no".

But look at it this way............

They are allowing the .243 win.............for older folks, small stature, youth.............it's the light one.

.30-30 is for the nostalgics.

.308 and .30-06 are for the avg Joe, long or short action, pumps and autos too.

and then the boomer .300 winmag.

Covers a range of shooter/deer hunter types.

Maybe a questionnaire after season.............what did you use? How far was the shot? How old are you? Was this a new gun purchase?

It aint just about killing deer. May be more about people management and revenue, all within the supposed confines of politics (remember, the people management doesn't just involve hunters- they have to make changes that the non hunting public can swallow).

The Indy Star whipped up a frenzy over the supposed denial of pizza and cake at gay weddings..............total spin job IMHO just to keep Pence off a bigger national ticket.
    Too many stupids read that rag and believe the nonsense.

Gotta give some of the people what they want without p*ssing off the idiotic majority.

4 yr study.................deer harvest, round preference, types of hunters (age, sex, # per region etc).

Maybe, just maybe, there was some thought into the 5 rounds chosen.

Then again, maybe not LOL

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If nothing super bad happens, I expect the law to change in 4 yrs, to .243 min bullet, 1.16 min case and that's it.
    But they may make allowances for the unicorn season that will soon follow.
    May be as many unicorns in your neck of the woods, compared to 100+" 8 pts ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW I have put multiple shots in deer, quite a few times (all good ones too).
    Maybe with HP rifle they will react sooner, but for me if I don't spot the shot, I hit them again.
    Hell, I've shot a few deer more than once, with a bow.

It does happen. Deer are magnificent animals, but they can't read the dang script. Even when you thump 'em good, they might freakin' ad lib.

I like single shot rifles. But then I like pumps, bolt rigs and autos too.
    Never felt handicapped using a side hammer muzzleloader either (mult deer, or mult hits on one deer there too).

Too many IMHO take a shot and sit on their arse, thinking they got the deer.............not knowing where their shot landed. Not everbody has the same eyesight, proper gear setup or thinking speed/capability.

I never shoot AT a deer. I shoot at a spot on the deer, knowing I will make it.
    Confidence from spending a lot of time and money on the ranges.

The avg weekend pumpkin is probably NOT an INGO forum contributor.

We on avg are probably way ahead of the others as far as understanding this game, ethics and other.

Lord help the retailers the month before gun season, esp those poor souls working the 2 days before.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Too many IMHO take a shot and sit on their arse, thinking they got the deer.............not knowing where their shot landed. Not everbody has the same eyesight, proper gear setup or thinking speed/capability.

I never shoot AT a deer. I shoot at a spot on the deer, knowing I will make it.
    Confidence from spending a lot of time and money on the ranges.

The avg weekend pumpkin is probably NOT an INGO forum contributor.

We on avg are probably way ahead of the others as far as understanding this game, ethics and other.

Lord help the retailers the month before gun season, esp those poor souls working the 2 days before.

So, let me make sure I've got this all straight...

You shoot at a spot on a deer, knowing you'll make it, but you've taken 2 or more shots on many deer, with various types of guns and even archery tackle.

But, you're better than the avg. weekend pumpkin.

The condescension is almost palpable.

How about this? Irrespective of whether they post on INGO, there are plenty of good shooters and deer hunters out there. In fact, they are our FELLOW hunters and sportsmen, whose votes help retain these freedoms we hold dear, so instead of slandering those who aren't here to defend themselves, what do you say we give our brethren a little credit, huh?? :rolleyes:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    .300 is the bore and .308 is the bullet/groove diameter (likewise .303 and 311).

Magnums tend to be called by the bore diameter. And British cartridges.

ralstonr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    Kokomo
    So I have just started to follow this. At what point do we know the DNR has clarified? Super anxious to modify my 300 blackout pistol to a rifle or start building an AR 10.

d80hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Hope
    If I am remembering right, most 7.62 x 39 uses a .303 bullet. Some AR 15 uppers actual use a .300 bullet in the 7.62 x 39. Of course the 300 Fireball, 300 Whisper, and 300 Blackout are actually labeled 300 in the name.

SAMMI specs 7.62x39 at .310 diameter +/- .002".

.308 diameter bullets will work but lots of 7.62x39 ammo comes in .310-.312.

d80hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Hope
    After all the talk here, I am thinking of a minimum rifle length 300 blackout upper for my Bushmaster AR. Switching between .300 blackout and .450 Bushmaster depending on my hunting situations.

Red dot on the short barreled 300 blackout for still hunting and a scope on the 20" .450 for tree stands and posting on the ground. It would be like having a 30-30 and 45/70 in a MSR. Then I could break out the 7mm for across the field shots. That would cover all the bases and be a whole lot of fun.

Last edited:

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Ive skimmed this post and even clicked a couple links. What is the jist of hb1231? Whats the part about 10mm? Is my hand cannon good to go this year? Thanks and sorry for the extra dumb question

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    After all the talk here, I am thinking of a minimum rifle length 300 blackout upper for my Bushmaster AR. Switching between .300 blackout and .450 Bushmaster depending on my hunting situations.

Red dot on the short barreled 300 blackout for still hunting and a scope on the 20" .450 for tree stands and posting on the ground. It would be like having a 30-30 and 45/70 in a MSR. Then I could break out the 7mm for across the field shots. That would cover all the bases and be a whole lot of fun.

Don't spend a bunch of money yet, in case the only .300 allowed is the .300 Win Mag. And a 7MM is definitely NOT going to be legal under this bill.

d80hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Hope
    Don't spend a bunch of money yet, in case the only .300 allowed is the .300 Win Mag. And a 7MM is definitely NOT going to be legal under this bill.

Oops, I meant in anticipation for more allowed calibers which should be happening in the recent future. I have bought enough this year and the upper would be a 2017 purchase.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    [...]What would be nice if we actually wrote and refined a well written law here and sent it to the legislators to copy and paste on the next version. this way it will be simple, well thought out by people who actually know firearms.

My way of writing it would be "A rifle that shoots a cartridge with a bullet diameter of X or larger with a minimum case length of X." Then use some of these other calibers as examples but specify they are not all inclusive.
    [...]

As Hookeye already mentioned, it's highly likely that they'll eventually do as you suggested by taking the shortest and easiest route of declaring that any cartridges currently legal for all handguns (possibly even for those few folks with 10mm carbines eager to use them with the newly legalized 10mm handgun calibers) out of rifles, i.e. minimum bullet diameter =.243, minimum case length of 1.16", with no maximum case length restriction.
    That right there would open it up to nearly everything except for the varmint calibers, an entirely satisfactory solution.
    Lots of guys with their 100+ year old .25-35 lever guns or the like would instantly be made happy because of the nostalgia of taking their great grandpa's grand old rifle out for deer for the very first time.
    How ironic that so many cartridges (.30-30, I'm looking right atcha), many invented even before start of the 20th century, are only now in the 21st century being allowed for deer.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    This for me too... but they have restriction stating a rifle must have a 16" barrel. My .300 blk is a wee bit short. I have an open lower that I could build up, but really would rather use the SBR.

Of course if you use the pistol you can carry as much ammo as you want... in case a horde of zombie deer appear in the field.

Looks like I'll just continue to use the 300blk pistol then haha this doesn't really change anything for me... Those dang barrel restrictions :dunno:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    As Hookeye already mentioned, it's highly likely that they'll eventually do as you suggested by taking the shortest and easiest route of declaring that any cartridges currently legal for all handguns (possibly even for those few folks with 10mm carbines eager to use them with the newly legalized 10mm handgun calibers) out of rifles, i.e. minimum bullet diameter =.243, minimum case length of 1.16", with no maximum case length restriction.
    That right there would open it up to nearly everything except for the varmint calibers, an entirely satisfactory solution.
    Lots of guys with their 100+ year old .25-35 lever guns or the like would instantly be made happy because of the nostalgia of taking their great grandpa's grand old rifle out for deer for the very first time.
    How ironic that so many cartridges (.30-30, I'm looking right atcha), many invented even before start of the 20th century, are only now in the 21st century being allowed for deer.

The only real question here is how long it takes them to come to this decision?

I am SO looking forward to taking my .30-30 out for deer season this year!
    Even though mine is a modern rifle, and basically brand new, I still want to try the cartridge.

I have a .308 and a .30-06 that will probably see some deer-time eventually, but I'm just giddy about being able to use the .30-30. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom