HB1231 passes in house- (Centerfire rifles for deer hunting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    One he did sign looks like HEA 1085 Firearms and certification.
    Anyone know what this bill is about?

Yes, If an individual wants to buy/transfer or manufacture an NFA weapon that individual no longer has to get his/her local LE to sign off on it. This bill was to bring the state into compliance with new federal ruling by ATF.

Steve

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yes, If an individual wants to buy/transfer or manufacture an NFA weapon that individual no longer has to get his/her local LE to sign off on it. This bill was to bring the state into compliance with new federal ruling by ATF.

Steve

Outstanding!
    Thank you.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    HB1085 is that CLEO must sign off ("issue requested certification") on NFA items unless the person is prohibited.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    HB1085 is that CLEO must sign off ("issue requested certification") on NFA items unless the person is prohibited.

Kludge is correct. ATF's final ruling still requires certification by LE. I was six months behind on info. ATF was leaning the other way but backtracked in their final decision.

Steve

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Kludge is correct. ATF's final ruling still requires certification by LE. I was six months behind on info. ATF was leaning the other way but backtracked in their final decision.

Steve

Certification? The new rule takes CLEO signoff out completely. Instead, one must notify CLEO of any NFA items that are being transferred/manufactured.

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    I'm happy we're getting something, but looks like my (0.5 MOA) 6.8 SPCII will continue to sit sadly in the corner of the safe, so I can hunt with my 4MOA Remington 742... (in reality, I'll probably just keep hunting with my .458 SOCOM)

Mike

d80hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Hope
    I'm happy we're getting something, but looks like my (0.5 MOA) 6.8 SPCII will continue to sit sadly in the corner of the safe, so I can hunt with my 4MOA Remington 742... (in reality, I'll probably just keep hunting with my .458 SOCOM)

Mike

I'm in the same boat. My 7mm-08 will sit in the safe and I will be sticking with a big bore AR .450 Bushmaster for the time being. It shoots sub-MOA and will still be my #1 rifle, the 7mm-08 when allowed will be used on the few occasions I can shoot past 200 yards.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Certification? The new rule takes CLEO signoff out completely. Instead, one must notify CLEO of any NFA items that are being transferred/manufactured.

No it doesn't.
    (I added emphasis)
    "Firearms and certification. Defines "chief law enforcement officer" as an official whose certification is required under federal law for a person to manufacture or transfer certain firearms, and requires a chief law enforcement officer to issue a requested certification unless the person requesting the certification is: (1) prohibited by law from receiving or possessing a firearm; or (2) the subject of a proceeding that could result in the person being prohibited by law from receiving or possessing a firearm. Requires a chief law enforcement officer who denies a request for certification to explain the reasons for the denial in writing. Firearms and certification. Defines "chief law enforcement officer" as an official whose certification is required under federal law for a person to manufacture or transfer certain firearms, and requires a chief law enforcement officer to issue a requested certification unless the person requesting the certification is: (1) prohibited by law from receiving or possessing a firearm; or (2) the subject of a proceeding that could result in the person being prohibited by law from receiving or possessing a firearm. Requires a chief law enforcement officer who denies a request for certification to explain the reasons for the denial in writing. Permits a person whose certification is denied the right to challenge the denial by filing an action in a circuit or superior court, specifies that the chief law enforcement officer bears the burden of proving that the denial was lawful, and permits the award of reasonable attorney's fees and other costs to the person if there was no substantial basis for the denial. Provides civil immunity to a chief law enforcement officer for acts or omissions made in good faith."

This new law means that whoever is in charge of it has to go ahead and sign it, unless there is a reason you can't have it (criminal history, etc). If its denied, they have to inform in writing why, they cant just say "no".

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    I'm in the same boat. My 7mm-08 will sit in the safe and I will be sticking with a big bore AR .450 Bushmaster for the time being. It shoots sub-MOA and will still be my #1 rifle, the 7mm-08 when allowed will be used on the few occasions I can shoot past 200 yards.

I really hope DNR just says "Well, the're going full power rounds (300 win mag, 30-06, etc.) on private property anyway, so might as well open the in-between calibers up, too." (.243 and up) next year. Who knows, though.

What sucks is that my 30-30 lever (which is technically a family piece on my wife's side that I'm holding onto until my nephew is an adult) is a "waffle top" receiver, so I don't want to tap it for a scope or decent rear sight.

Mike

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I really hope DNR just says "Well, the're going full power rounds (300 win mag, 30-06, etc.) on private property anyway, so might as well open the in-between calibers up, too." (.243 and up) next year. Who knows, though.

What sucks is that my 30-30 lever (which is technically a family piece on my wife's side that I'm holding onto until my nephew is an adult) is a "waffle top" receiver, so I don't want to tap it for a scope or decent rear sight.

Mike

Im wonderin if that's the plan. Open up a few and see how it goes. If/when there is no major problems, say "anything else in between the smallest and largest is legal".

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    No it doesn't.
    (I added emphasis)
    "Firearms and certification. Defines "chief law enforcement officer" as an official whose certification is required under federal law for a person to manufacture or transfer certain firearms, and requires a chief law enforcement officer to issue a requested certification unless the person requesting the certification is: (1) prohibited by law from receiving or possessing a firearm; or (2) the subject of a proceeding that could result in the person being prohibited by law from receiving or possessing a firearm. Requires a chief law enforcement officer who denies a request for certification to explain the reasons for the denial in writing. Firearms and certification. Defines "chief law enforcement officer" as an official whose certification is required under federal law for a person to manufacture or transfer certain firearms, and requires a chief law enforcement officer to issue a requested certification unless the person requesting the certification is: (1) prohibited by law from receiving or possessing a firearm; or (2) the subject of a proceeding that could result in the person being prohibited by law from receiving or possessing a firearm. Requires a chief law enforcement officer who denies a request for certification to explain the reasons for the denial in writing. Permits a person whose certification is denied the right to challenge the denial by filing an action in a circuit or superior court, specifies that the chief law enforcement officer bears the burden of proving that the denial was lawful, and permits the award of reasonable attorney's fees and other costs to the person if there was no substantial basis for the denial. Provides civil immunity to a chief law enforcement officer for acts or omissions made in good faith."

This new law means that whoever is in charge of it has to go ahead and sign it, unless there is a reason you can't have it (criminal history, etc). If its denied, they have to inform in writing why, they cant just say "no".

You seem to be confused. Obama's EA removed CLEO certification from the NFA process, which is why I don't really understand why the state legislature thought this was needed. Here are some links:

CHIEF LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER CERTIFICATION TO BE REMOVED FROM NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT TRANSFERS

Actual final rule:

https://www.atf.gov/file/100896/download

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You seem to be confused. Obama's EA removed CLEO certification from the NFA process, which is why I don't really understand why the state legislature thought this was needed. Here are some links:

CHIEF LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER CERTIFICATION TO BE REMOVED FROM NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT TRANSFERS

Actual final rule:

https://www.atf.gov/file/100896/download

If that's the case (which is great), then why does this HB1085 even exist, lol. I had not seen the above, so thank you for the link. But the language of HB1085 clearly says it will define who the CLEO is and mandate they certify an application unless there is lawful reason not to. Why do we have this if the Federal ruling says we don't. Since when is state harder than Fed?

These are mostly just conversational questions, nothing directed at you.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    If that's the case (which is great), then why does this HB1085 even exist, lol. I had not seen the above, so thank you for the link. But the language of HB1085 clearly says it will define who the CLEO is and mandate they certify an application unless there is lawful reason not to. Why do we have this if the Federal ruling says we don't. Since when is state harder than Fed?

These are mostly just conversational questions, nothing directed at you.

Yea I should have been more clear that I meant the Federal ruling, not the state bill. Who knows with our state politicians sometimes...they probably just want something to brag about when it comes to the 2A, but in reality it did nothing at all. They could have supported something like this in years past, but of course they didn't. Hell, they could have supported other meaningful 2A legislation but chose to waste time on this. What's new?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Only question is do I take my grandpa's old Marlin 336 in 30/30 or my son's Savage Model 10 in 308?

My daughter will be shooting a 243 and my wife will be using the same 30-'06 loads she uses up in Michigan.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom