• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Someone having a knife out and approaching in a threatening manner is proportionate to me having a gun out an in low ready. They approach closer and it is proportionate to me pointing a gun at them.

I don't buy into the argument that you have to draw only when you expect to shoot. .

I like the idea of ; Don't draw unless you are WILLING to shoot.

A lot of the myth about people getting shot by their own gun , is from a high number of people who failed to shoot when they should have..

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    That's kind of where I'm coming from. I don't want to be the one who has his handgun taken by Steven Seagal.

I also don't want someone shooting me because I have a handgun out as someone is putting their hands up.

Granted, someone seeing me shoot someone is bad too, but that would be because I HAD to...

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    I'm coming from work in a suit and heels. Instructed the old guy to get my panty hose off to use to hog tie him
    Annie,
    That was a really nice thing you did for the old man!
    I wanna know what he said when you told him to remove your panty hose!
    :laugh::D:laugh:

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Has it been stated that what you did was a very mild felony? Pointing a loaded firearm at someone is the lowest possible felony while pointing an unloaded firearm is a very high misdemeanor.

I'm thankful for you that you did not have to shoot. Simply showing him the firearm was the right move IMHO. Pointing it, maybe not, but I doubt it was possible to show him and wait for a response before acting appropriately should you have actually needed to.

Tough call.

Yes, I've had to let someone know I was carrying once in order to get them out of my car after they climbed through the window. He didn't need to be shot but I guess you could have called it an attempted carjacking- something you ARE allowed to legally use deadly force to stop...

In all of these incidents - the LTCH operator(s) had justification to draw down on the individual(s).

The law pertaining to pointing a loaded or unloaded firearm is relating to the jesting of a firearm (like a gang member) - not citizens protecting themselves or a third party from serious injury. Pointing a firearm is using deadly force - which can be rapidly escalating or de-escalating.

Last edited:

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    OK FOR ANYONE WHO DID NOT YET SEE THIS:

Guess what? I fully and completely retract my statements. I never put that together with the two codes listed. I just recently memorized the numbers for those codes and now I know.

You were justified to use deadly force against deadly force and/or serious bodily injury so you are exempt.

Sorry about that.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I know too many people who had to do the same. I'm the lucky one! Maybe I'm just too cute for anyone to really want to hurt me? I do have a cherub-like demeanor, after all.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    That old guy was in pretty rough shape....nose and jaw broken, blood everywhere and disoriented. I was having a very hard time getting him to understand what I needed him to do. What I would have given for some rope or a belt.....He never got it and I really thought I was going to be standing there forever. Who says the police are never there when you need them!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For what it's worth, in my humble opinion, if you haven't been specifically trained in how to put restraints on someone safely, it's probably not a great idea to get close enough to them to tie them up, especially if you're along. If I had a threat at gun point and they moved toward me, I'm going to press and repeat as necessary. If they run away, I'm probably not going to try to stop them.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    For what it's worth, in my humble opinion, if you haven't been specifically trained in how to put restraints on someone safely, it's probably not a great idea to get close enough to them to tie them up, especially if you're along. If I had a threat at gun point and they moved toward me, I'm going to press and repeat as necessary. If they run away, I'm probably not going to try to stop them.

yeah, I really 2nd that.. Do not get with in arms reach of someone you know to be violent..
    Even an unarmed person can do great damage if they really want..
    hold them at gun point.. someone will call the cops..

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    OK FOR ANYONE WHO DID NOT YET SEE THIS:

You retracted your statement, we understand. Please understand, though, that others have opinions that haven't been covered. No one is targeting you or your statement, just discussing the subject.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    In looking back, I realize that getting that close wasn't the best idea. All I knew was that I wanted to have this guy under some kind of control so that I could help the other man. This was in the time before cell phones and we were on a stretch of rural highway that didn't get much traffic that time of day. Today, with cell phones and 20 odd extra years, I would do it differently. I was just glad that it all worked out the way it did.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Closest I have come was the time I was standing back from my counter expecting the guy in the hoodie to pull a knife or gun and come across the counter at me. Had my hand just over my back pocket and the P32 there. Turned out the heavy stuff in the front pocket that he had been hiding was stolen goods. I turned him away and the cops who had been looking for him pulled up as he exited the store and had him in cuffs within 1 minute.

I went out and bought a larger gun as soon as work was over and the adrenaline shakes ended. I did not tell the cops who took down my report that I was 1 second from drawing and 2 seconds from shooting the crook depending on what he took out of his hoodie where he was hiding it. Turned out he was a teen, with a record, that had been arrested in my lot the week before and who could not have given off any more signs he was up to something illegal (long version).

Now the time that my brother and I got mugged with a knife when I was younger, that would have been the time to have a gun too...

Other than a time or two of things that go bump in the night, I am boring. Mostly I do not get bothered by people much. Between the beard and the "don't bother me if you like your spleen" look I developed growing up at 38th street in Indy, I get ignored by people well. That is fine by me. Sometimes I am sure to smile at people that I have accidentally given the evil eye as I do not need to be rude.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    Rhino remind me never to try and suprise you! LOL Shame too. I was gonna give you a nice big suprise B-Day party, but knowing you'd draw down on the crowd full of kids probably wouldn't go very well... LOL J/K

And why do we say draw down? Since you're raising your pistol, wouldn't it be draw up? :dunno: Never seen anyone, even in the movies, put the gun up then bring it down to aim...
    Lethal weapon?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I have a question (or two) for all those who have had to draw and/or shoot someone. Not really for the military people but then again shooting the enemy, at least in my mind, wouldn't be MUCH different than killing some average druggy out to kill/rape/rob you.

How did it make you feel? How did your perspective and outlook on life change? Did it change your path in life? If you had to pull the trigger and drop the BG, what was (if you recall) your first thoughts?

Of course free will, no one HAS to answer, and I'm sorry if I'm out of line for asking. If I am just say so. I'm just curious since I've not been put in this specific situation. I've been shot AT before, but never had a weapon to defend myself with. The closest I've come is me and a buddy getting cut off, chasing the guys down and they jumped out with a knife. I hit one guy with my truck as we sped off. More like sideswiped him. I've never had to pull my knife and never my gun. So I'm just curious about the above questions.

turkeykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    lafayette
    For those of you that say (you should never pull your weapon unless to use it) I strongly disagree.

Many years ago my brother-in- law my son and me were out shooting a single shot 20ga. my son had gotten for Christmas. My brother-in- law was packing a ruger mark II my son was toting the shotgun and I had a little 22 pistol in my pocket. We were walking home across a field that we had permission to be on when a 4x4 truck came flying up on us. My brother-in-law and this 3 tooth piece of trash started arguing over whether we were suppose to be on the land. After several F-bombs in front on my son who at that time was 8 I decided to walk towards the truck to ask this guy to calm down,before I reached the truck I watched this hands go down and I knew he was reaching for a weapon so I rushed the truck and grabbed the end of this rifle barrel, after a short struggle I had my pistol against his temple and with a few choice words ordered him to unload his rifle (why I didn't take it away for him I don't know). Afterwards we find out this piece of trash was a convicted felon. My point being no shots fired thank God above, I did not want my son to witness that.

I learned that day it's easy to sit back and judge others for what they shoulda, coulda done, when your facing taking a mans life it's hard to control your adrenaline I had the shakes for 45 minutes afterwards.

Top Bottom