• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I haven't had a situation that has escalated to the need to actually pull my gun (unless you want to count the time my alarm went off for no apparent reason). I carry concealed, but there has been times where someone's intentions have been questionable. When that has happened, I've simply uncovered my gun. I've done this for two reasons. 1. Drawing a gun without having to lift your shirt is quicker. 2. The questionable character quickly understood that I am not the victim that they intended me to be. Being that Indiana law doesn't state which way I have to carry, I choose to CC unless I feel it's necessary for someone to have a little pucker factor. My intention is not to intimidate. My intention is to state, without saying a word, that I am not willing to be a victim.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I have learned enough to keep myself out of places and locations where these type of things would occur.

The more prepared you are to defend yourself, the less likely you will need to.

This man speaks the truth. :yesway:

So is showing you are armed best if it could defuse the situation or not?

Problem is, you don't know if it would defuse the situation, or escalate it. Throw in the possibility of the would-be perp reporting you to the police as "that crazy guy who pointed a gun at me when all I wanted was to ask him for a cigarette" and the negatives really start to outweigh the potential positives. There are a multitude of ways to avoid or de-escalate a confrontation without showing your gun.

My :twocents:

Last edited:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I have notice several people saying that they showed or mentioned they had a firearm but did not draw. I have always been taught this is a no no because they could say you were waving your firearm around and then you get in trouble. If you need it use it, don't show it.

As a person who has mentioned, I agree with you 100%. If I did it over again, I would have not mentioned this to the guy threatening me to pull out his bat. I set myself up for exactly that situation. The chances are he was more talk than action and I wanted to shut him up. I succeeded, but it was a stupid thing to do. I have matured and would not repeat the same step if the scenario came up again.

Part of why I decided to type out my encounters is so that others could learn from what I did both right and wrong. Training and experience breeds confidence. I wasn't confident during any of my encounters. With the man with the knife, I shook for a little while after I got back to my car. I'm sure some was adrenalin, but most was about how close I was to drawing and shooting him. I had thought through the idea in my head, but this made it truly real.

This is the event that kicked me into getting some good quality training. Ideally someone would do this BEFORE they have an encounter.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and let someone think you are wise, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong. Deciding to switch from CC to OC does not put you in legal jeopardy. You could easily pass it off by saying (if the police were called) that your gun was digging into your side. You are well within your rights to OC (we all know, this has been discussed repeatedly :): ), and, by not saying anything, you allow the other person's imagination decide the outcome.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Here's a good scenario. A few years ago, our local McDonalds switch their drive-thru to two ordering stations. One guy decided that he had been cut off and that it was his responsibility to straighten the offender out. He started pounding on the guy's window and cussing him out. The guy never said a word, he simply reached in his glove box, pulled out his handgun, and tucked in his waist. The "teacher" freaked out, ran back to his car, and called the police. After the police arrived and established that the gun owner had a permit, they explained to the aggressor that no law had been broken. The gun owner never said a word to the guy, but the guy knew exactly what his options were, and what the results could be if he chose to escalate his actions.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    So it becomes a case of your word against his, and you are alleged to have pulled a gun (regardless of whether or not you did). Do YOU want to get into that mess?

If your gun never moved from it's holster, then you can't be guilting of pulling your gun. If this is a valid argument then everyone that OC's is asking for trouble.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I for one have no issues OCing. I will OC just as much as I CC. Why? There is NO tactical answer. It's simply to allow the sheeple to see that we are out there. We are just like them. Sorta. They KNOW we are there but have no idea they walked next to or brushed up against a gun unless they SEE it. I guess it may deter an aggressor if he sees the gun, but then OTOH, he could be more sly about his ways. Either way, OC for me is more of a direct educational thing.

FE, I was in kroger the other day with my son getting milk. (We really need a cow) As we walked down the chip aisle these three teenagers and their mom(?) came down the aisle. THe girl had this deer in the headlight look. Funny as all beat hell. As we got closer she looked at me funny and stopped. So I said hi, not really expecting the same and she just blurted out, "You have a gun." LOL The other 3 were obviously oblivious to this fact as they stopped talking and looked. I kept smiling (Musta been ear to ear at this point) and my son said "That's DADDY'S boom. I'm NEVER allowed to touch." Makes me so proud. The mom then asked if it was illegal to carry and I explained thing to her about OC, CC, either is legal if you have a permit. I found out she was from IL and wasn't accustomed to people carrying. I had to explain the process in which to get a license, to which the older boy said that sucks. I said, yes and no because it stops felons from trying to get one, but yea, it doesn't stop the BG from carrying too. That's why good guys like me carry. After our 15 minute talk and my son jumping all over them(! LOL) they seemed to appreciate those of us who carry a lot more.

I love to educate people about this stuff and their other rights.

Honestly, if I had the choice to draw or just lift my shirt while CCing, it would depend on the situation and the town I'm in. If my gun comes out of the holster, it's to shoot, not threaten to do so. Yes I will give them a warning, unless I don't have the chance. But otherwise it stays in the holster. Maybe with my hand on it and the retention strap popped off, but if it needent be drawn, it won't.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thought I might've had to...once...on a dog... Turns out the dog was just old and hard of hearing/seeing and it literally "stumbled" upon my girlfriend and I, thereby startling it to the point of barking and acting rather aggressive.

Of course, this was learned post facto....

Took me a while to go to sleep later that night...even for a dog.

-J-

FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    did you report this incident to the proper authorities?

Im from Johnson Co. I RARELY go anywhere north of Greenwood. I cannot stand Indy or any large city for that matter. I was invited to a poker game from a co-worker and went. It was on 38th street in Indy. I was on a payphone asking a friend for directions because I was trying to find my way back to I-65.

I did not report anything, I just wanted to get back home where I felt comfortable.

Once in a great while I will have to go to Indy with my wife. She gets so mad at me because every time I see a woman walking down the street or sidewalk I ask "Is that a hooker?.........Is that a hooker?"

Im just a hillbilly, I cant help it.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Im from Johnson Co. I RARELY go anywhere north of Greenwood. I cannot stand Indy or any large city for that matter. I was invited to a poker game from a co-worker and went. It was on 38th street in Indy. I was on a payphone asking a friend for directions because I was trying to find my way back to I-65.

I did not report anything, I just wanted to get back home where I felt comfortable.

Once in a great while I will have to go to Indy with my wife. She gets so mad at me because every time I see a woman walking down the street or sidewalk I ask "Is that a hooker?.........Is that a hooker?"

Im just a hillbilly, I cant help it.

Now the question of the day......Why are you so intereste in if it IS a hooker :dunno:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I just wanna know if they are giving the barry obamatard special? You know, they pay me instead.... :dunno:

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    Once about 20 years ago. Short story, road rage from a druggie against an elderly man who had pulled to the shoulder to let the jerk get around him. Instead, said jerk stops in roadway gets out pulls old man out and starts beating him. I got stopped behind the jerk, took position behind the car door, drew down on him and in my most foul mouthed way instructed him to stop. He took a look, did a double take and let go of the old guy. Got him spread eagled on the car hood of his with my gun against the back of his neck. Then, what do I do?????? I'm coming from work in a suit and heels. Instructed the old guy to get my panty hose off to use to hog tie him and about that time I hear------"Put the gun down and step away". Yep, cop had come along at just the right time. I tell him to restrain the guy. I step back he cuffs the guy and then turns to me. By that time the gun was unloaded and I just handed it to him and told him I would get my license. He was cool. He called an ambulance for the old guy, gave me back my weapon and LTCH and asks, "What would you have done if the guy hadn't stopped or had come after you?". I say, "would have shot him", he says "good".

I ended up testifying in court and the guy got a fairly stiff sentence since he had a long rap sheet. The old guy ended up being OK. Hope I never have to do anything like that again.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Sad to say, with style popular these days, it is hard to tell just an average woman from a "working girl".

We leased a huge empty warehouse for filming a feature near New York and LaSalle. It was interesting to watch the drug pushers and prostitutes from the roof.

Top Bottom